Fox 34 CSU creak

Trashy

As per the title, I think my CSU is creaking.

I've done the necessary trouble shooting, headset etc etc is all good. Even had my LBS look at it and they couldn't find anything.

Still have the creaking noise as per this video (except my brakes don't screech).

There is no play anywhere but this noise is doing my head in.

My question is, with my fork long out of warranty, what can I do about it?

Or do I just live with it?

If you bought it new then fox will sort you out , othersie there are a few tricks a sus guru can do 

35 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

If you bought it new then fox will sort you out , othersie there are a few tricks a sus guru can do 

Not new unfortunately :(

13 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Locktite, this video shows which locktite to use: 

There's a company in Jhb that stock it, it is quite pricey

Thanks! That looks simple enough to try. Worth the cost of a bottle of loctite if it works.

2 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Not new unfortunately :(

Thanks! That looks simple enough to try. Worth the cost of a bottle of loctite if it works.

I have done it in the past on an older Fox and it does work 👍

Other option is Robbies Bicycle Concepts.

Saw some videos of them fixing csu creaks a while back by pressing out your stanchions and refitting them wih some "magic" to fix the creak.

Excuse the non technical explanation, brain is fried from coding all day

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Think I'm going to start with the loctite idea for now.

Don't know that I'd be willing to risk removing stantions. Press-fitting isnt a simple job 

10 hours ago, Trashy said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Think I'm going to start with the loctite idea for now.

Don't know that I'd be willing to risk removing stantions. Press-fitting isnt a simple job 

RBC is extremely good at what they do. Highly recommended by the suspension experts to carry out the complex work like this. 

Last resort I guess. 

RBC will sort you out. We'll be able to as well once our tooling gets here, but not sure how long that'll be. As for trusting the process, there are quite a few tests that are done when removing and refitting the pressfit assemblies to make sure there are no issues.

Best would be to save it for the next time you need a service to eliminate double handling.

Ok, so the important question then is: is it worth paying to fix this on an almost 5 year old fork?

I don't notice it on the trail, only when riding around the block at home.

I am also looking at going 10mm longer, would it not be better to find a newer fork with the travel I want that is in better condition?

And sell the old fork here labelled "mint".

25 minutes ago, droo said:

RBC will sort you out. We'll be able to as well once our tooling gets here, but not sure how long that'll be. As for trusting the process, there are quite a few tests that are done when removing and refitting the pressfit assemblies to make sure there are no issues.

Best would be to save it for the next time you need a service to eliminate double handling.

Just to be clear ... you guys at Stoke are getting the tooling/press to be able to replace stanchions on forks.

If so, that is so Rock and Roll and really well-done for making this move!!!!

13 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Ok, so the important question then is: is it worth paying to fix this on an almost 5 year old fork?

I don't notice it on the trail, only when riding around the block at home.

I am also looking at going 10mm longer, would it not be better to find a newer fork with the travel I want that is in better condition?

And sell the old fork here labelled "mint".

If the rest of the fork is still in good shape, then yes. A new 34 these days is about R 23k - if you can find one.

That said, if you do have upgrade-itis, give us a shout - we've got a few options available both immediate and coming in in the next month or so.

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Just to be clear ... you guys at Stoke are getting the tooling/press to be able to replace stanchions on forks.

If so, that is so Rock and Roll and really well-done for making this move!!!!

It's on order. You can never have too many tools.

38 minutes ago, droo said:

It's on order. You can never have too many tools.

Could I also assume that you can replace a short steerer with a new one (longer) ?

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Could I also assume that you can replace a short steerer with a new one (longer) ?

Or a tapered steerer with a straight one?!

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Or a tapered steerer with a straight one?!

It is like Stoke have just announced they are building Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)