Enduro in the Western Cape - has it died?

Headshot

Do you guys only rid 50 hours a year?! 😝

I also think the venues get stale. Even the Jonkers race doesn't have me scrambling for my full face, knee pads and credit card anymore.

As mentioned earlier, my enthusiasm for shredding the gnar has dedded on top (or maybe partly as a result) of what has been mentioned above.

I made the effort to go the George for the inaugural witfontein gig and it was sick. New venue, rad trails blind, some different faces. It was really fun.

The lack of filmogrephers, socials, interviews etc was awesome too. I am not a massive fan of the hashtags and high five socials vibe. Much like the overused venues, it has become somewhat tedious. 

I come across as such a grumpy no hoper. Sorry, I'm really not. I'm just not at all surprised the scene is dying and it sucks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Do you guys only rid 50 hours a year?! 😝

I also think the venues get stale. Even the Jonkers race doesn't have me scrambling for my full face, knee pads and credit card anymore.

As mentioned earlier, my enthusiasm for shredding the gnar has dedded on top (or maybe partly as a result) of what has been mentioned above.

I made the effort to go the George for the inaugural witfontein gig and it was sick. New venue, rad trails blind, some different faces. It was really fun.

The lack of filmogrephers, socials, interviews etc was awesome too. I am not a massive fan of the hashtags and high five socials vibe. Much like the overused venues, it has become somewhat tedious. 

I come across as such a grumpy no hoper. Sorry, I'm really not. I'm just not at all surprised the scene is dying and it sucks

Maybe it's just turning 40, but I feel you. I have 4kol pluk for all the media stuff and honestly that first Witfontein Enduro was more of a Jol than last year, even though last year had (some) better trails.

I think a mates race or two around TM, or Big mates Ezel weekend will be an absolute jol! Only accommodate maybe 10 people at a time, but simple enough if there are a few Android phones about and people with some clue :)

4 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

Maybe it's just turning 40, but I feel you. I have 4kol pluk for all the media stuff and honestly that first Witfontein Enduro was more of a Jol than last year, even though last year had (some) better trails.

I think a mates race or two around TM, or Big mates Ezel weekend will be an absolute jol! Only accommodate maybe 10 people at a time, but simple enough if there are a few Android phones about and people with some clue :)

Timed night rides down Devils Peak like in the old old old days.... 

Getting away with kuds and work etc has also become more difficult for most of us. I guess we are at the age where middle age disillusion sets in!

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Timed night rides down Devils Peak like in the old old old days.... 

Getting away with kuds and work etc has also become more difficult for most of us. I guess we are at the age where middle age disillusion sets in!

Yooooweee...Ya man, a lil off piste riding is great for the soul :)

Kids...what are those? 😐 I don't have a property large enough for baby goats

54 minutes ago, StevieG said:

Why is it that the turnout in these events is lacking though? I find the gravity orientated races are just so much more fun than your typical XC race, and the people are just all in it for the stoke. Granted, there will still be the ultra competitive bunch, but for the most part, everyone is there for the jol. I'm also no leader of the pack by any stretch, but my skills are good enough to handle most of what an enduro can throw at me, but when starting out, Enduro seemed hella intimidating, until I actually rode in one. There seems to be quite a misconception (at least among everyone i've spoken to) that it's as technically tough as a downhill race, and one needs burly bikes to handle it. Maybe that just puts people off entirely. Have never had an issue with the cost to enter, as they've all been in the R300 to R500 ballpark, which is entirely fine considering all that's involved

I think the majority of SA riders view any gravity event as a crazies only sport. That said, the nature of enduro means that the more riders you have, the longer the day out for everyone. I'm sure there is a happy medium however and I think anything over 100 riders is pretty good.  I don't think it will die, despite Jewbacca's gloomy predictions.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I think the majority of SA riders view any gravity event as a crazies only sport. That said, the nature of enduro means that the more riders you have, the longer the day out for everyone. I'm sure there is a happy medium however and I think anything over 100 riders is pretty good.  I don't think it will die, despite Jewbacca's gloomy predictions.

Agree on the long day out issue, especially when it's one rider at a time. Some of the events here (kzn) allow you to choose which runs you want to do first, with only one or two stages having to be in a specific order. That does alleviate some of the wait times

I am way too unfit to race. So apart from the cost, I dont enter as I k@k on the climbs and walk when I feel like it. Also I am certain I could ride the climb but dont feel like pushing myself. I keep that for the downs. Funnily we were just chatting now about weekend runs and organising some shuttle days with the group. Sorry for the events, but we having fun, walking, shuttling, rolling slowly or going flat out and all just chilled. Private shuttle runs amongst friends are just awesome!!!

2 hours ago, Thermophage said:

I've got some tjommies and we organise our own little races around Table Mountain. 5 stages, 1 month to set the fastest time down said stages and big on beers and Strava timing (you have to win by a solid margin to get the win 🤣). I probably spend a lot more riding with them than any other race series I could have done, but it beats everything I've done before. 

2 hours ago, Adr!@n said:

I've got some tjommies and we organise our own little races around Table Mountain. 5 stages, 1 month to set the fastest time down said stages and big on beers and Strava timing (you have to win by a solid margin to get the win 🤣). I probably spend a lot more riding with them than any other race series I could have done, but it beats everything I've done before. 

Good idea... But only if you can avoid the massively useless Strava times. Unfortunately they're just too erratic for use in a reliable event kinda thing. Either way... Gotta be on the sneaky cos if tmnp wants their cut it's gonna suck 😋

2 hours ago, Thermophage said:

Good idea... But only if you can avoid the massively useless Strava times. Unfortunately they're just too erratic for use in a reliable event kinda thing. Either way... Gotta be on the sneaky cos if tmnp wants their cut it's gonna suck 😋

Luckily it’s just friends, we’re not splitting hairs here. 

12 hours ago, Adr!@n said:

Please can you share the routes or what not, im keen to put down some times and see where i place

SRAM also did something in lockdown at tokai 

On 3/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, Headshot said:

Even during lockdown, we were bombarded with media from the Enduro Western Cape  team about upcoming events.  Come 2022 and WC Downhill are in full swing as are other provinces which have been holding enduros and downhill events for some time.

Strangely, there has been nothing about the EWC series or indeed any response to a query I posted to them via Instagram. Cape Town has great trails and lots of keen riders but seemingly no events lined up for 2022? Anyone know what's happening, or better still, could the movers and shakers at EWC give the public some feedback. 

Hey Headshot - the only Enduro event in the WP that is currently sanctioned is the Witfontein Enduro in George on the 7th August - this event is the 3rd Round of the 2022 National Enduro Series.

Wildair who operate the EWC series privately generally only put out their dates late in the year as they have their series between August and December generally. Best plan is to get hold of Wildair directly and ask.

Cheers

Nige

On 3/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, Jewbacca said:

The Enduro scene is unfortunately not profitable. iRide, Dirtopia and many other companies have tried to grow the scene but the issue of financial return vs the effort always kills the idea.

The participants also expect to pay nothing, but still have top level timing and event zones, so the pressure to create something on a shoe string budget is just not worth the effort

@Jewbacca the bold comment above is not quite correct - it comes down to your business case. Wildair are a company and therefore want return on their events - but also want to make events up to a global standard (for good reason). Therefore there is big prize money etc. that pushes up costs.

KZN on the other hand is operated by a 4 person committee who are volunteers on the KZN Commission. These events are run on a budget with local sponsorship, but the Enduro events make money that is then used to offset costs for the regional DH events. This makes the series a breakeven. 

So if you play your cards correctly Enduro can be profitable - but not on a large scale like CTCT or Epic etc.  You need to cut your suit to fit your cloth - so event zones etc. are a premium, and okes need to pay if they want that.

KZN events do not have prize money, as we worked out ages ago that the cost of prize money (R300-200-100) for a podium per class amounted to about 10% of our total entry income. This amount (about R6000) covers the cost of timing at an event - so rather than add more costs KZN reduced costs to help try and keep entry fees down. It removes the frills of the event - but makes it more accessible to riders because of lower entry fees. 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, Headshot said:

The last EWC event I did was at Contermans. It was expensive but then so are the CTCT and DH events so I don't think it was overpriced. Maybe the issue is money and the desire to profit from the cycle industry and if the money don't come enthusiasm wanes. If I'm not mistaken, WCDH is run by volunteers who don't make money from the events . The vibe at DH events is also very different with lots of kids and enthusiasm from parents and supporters and its growing. So there are definitely customers for gravity racing down here and it works in Kzn, so what is the issue? 

WCDH is operated very similarly to KZN with a commission who operate the events. So it can also be run on more of a downscaled budget. As you say Gravity works in KZN - and now in Mpumalanga, and GP who are hosting booming Enduro series. But again they are all linked to their local Governing Bodies, and then to CSA. So (although okes hate CSA), the governing bodies and CSA can assist the organisers with getting sponsorship etc. for their events. 

The GP series is a case in point - as the GP commission bought the timing system built by IRide Africa and used in the Cape Enduros. This is now being used for the GP series, and the Mpumalanga series with cost benefits for both series.  The system will be used for the Enduro National Champs event in Mpumalanga later on in the year too .... so its good to see the collaboration between event organisers, local commissions and CSA. This however, is not the view of EWC, who do not want to have any part of the commissions etc. and want it as a private series.  But each to their own I guess.

9 minutes ago, nigelhicks said:

@Jewbacca the bold comment above is not quite correct - it comes down to your business case. Wildair are a company and therefore want return on their events - but also want to make events up to a global standard (for good reason). Therefore there is big prize money etc. that pushes up costs.

KZN on the other hand is operated by a 4 person committee who are volunteers on the KZN Commission. These events are run on a budget with local sponsorship, but the Enduro events make money that is then used to offset costs for the regional DH events. This makes the series a breakeven. 

So if you play your cards correctly Enduro can be profitable - but not on a large scale like CTCT or Epic etc.  You need to cut your suit to fit your cloth - so event zones etc. are a premium, and okes need to pay if they want that.

KZN events do not have prize money, as we worked out ages ago that the cost of prize money (R300-200-100) for a podium per class amounted to about 10% of our total entry income. This amount (about R6000) covers the cost of timing at an event - so rather than add more costs KZN reduced costs to help try and keep entry fees down. It removes the frills of the event - but makes it more accessible to riders because of lower entry fees. 

WCDH is operated very similarly to KZN with a commission who operate the events. So it can also be run on more of a downscaled budget. As you say Gravity works in KZN - and now in Mpumalanga, and GP who are hosting booming Enduro series. But again they are all linked to their local Governing Bodies, and then to CSA. So (although okes hate CSA), the governing bodies and CSA can assist the organisers with getting sponsorship etc. for their events. 

The GP series is a case in point - as the GP commission bought the timing system built by IRide Africa and used in the Cape Enduros. This is now being used for the GP series, and the Mpumalanga series with cost benefits for both series.  The system will be used for the Enduro National Champs event in Mpumalanga later on in the year too .... so its good to see the collaboration between event organisers, local commissions and CSA. This however, is not the view of EWC, who do not want to have any part of the commissions etc. and want it as a private series.  But each to their own I guess.

Very insightful...

Thanks for that Nige!!! 

Edited by Meezo
Grammar

On 3/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Headshot said:

I think that DH is run like that, but I'm not saying its the only way. I think that if profit is your main objective then you will be disappointed in the gravity racing business  as numbers are always low compared to marathon events, so enduro probably needs to be organized and run like DH. It would be interesting to know how KZN Gravity is organized. 

KZN Gravity is run as follows:

- 4 Committee members (Volunteers) form the backbone of KZN Gravity who are a subsidiary of KZNMTB Regional Commission.

- Event dates and venues are selected with the help of the CSA Gravity Commissioner (me).

- KZN use a suite of service providers that we have used for years - so get good prices (Medics, marshals, timing)

- Timing - KZN Cycling own the Sport Ident timing system that KZN use - we just pay an operating fee to Elite Timing who are our "operator" for the system.

- There is no prize money only cool medals etc as this brings down costs.

- KZN get sponsorship (Minnaars sponsors the series with money, but we have lots of other sponsors with product that replaces actual prize money)

- The series is run to breakeven - whereby Enduro and DH are run on the same weekend at the same venue - this reduces overall operating costs - and costs for riders (travel etc). 

- KZN entry fees are now about R400 for a single event (Enduro) or I think R550 or so for dual events (Enduro and DH). So this promotes more participation.

Just for interest sake - here is the link to my 2020 budget for the KZN series before I stepped down as KZN Gravity Chairman. - Its pretty scary what things cost.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16_T-Cu_3lENbavqN31GIIbZO2OQ_Gu0Ggx8mBSd3n6A/edit?usp=sharing