Reselling on bikehub? Is this normal

BMorrison

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Puncture Kid said:

If a reseller sold your bike for a higher price without adding value then you sold it for too little

False. You're assuming the reseller is revealing the same information and being equally as upfront about defects. Some aren't. 

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

I am sure the re-seller is adding valuable services to flip the bike.

Personal story,

I listed a bike for sale not so long ago for about R25k (6yo Spesh Diverge with 105's). The buyer was a big brand local bike store - they asked for a selfie of me with the bike, paid my asking price and sent a bakkie around to collect the same day. 

For sure they hoped to sell it for a few grand more, and I am sure they did. Happiness to them - I am sure it helps the sale to have it on the shop floor with a salesman pushing the sale, plus they should give some confidence that there is a business to provide some support if the ultimate buyer is not happy with his buy.

Similarly for anyone who sees extra value in anything else on sale - good luck to them. If you can sell for more because of reputation, or better photos/description, or cleaning the item properly, or being in a better location, or just putting a higher price on it, then well done to you. You are capitalising on knowing more about the product than the seller, or just being in a better position to sell it. I can't see the problem.

Edit - if you REALLY care about only selling to someone who is going to actually ride your bike then you should put that on the advert. Only allow collections in person, in an uber, and then they have to ride it home. Good luck with this sale :-o

Edited by 100Tours

6 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

This is not an easy sale (ie your reseller may struggle) - a 47 is an XS frame. Not a lot of buyers in this market. Do you think the original seller is resentful?

I wouldn't  pay that kind of money on any bike in the hope that I can  resell it.  

There is a lot more that I can do with that moola than let it sit in a garage.  But if I had a shop, that is another story...