Bike Shops that can assist with a Sale?

RobbyB

Thought that I would find out which Bike Shops in RSA could assist with a SALE/Purchase far away from one's home town (I'm in KZN).

I have a seller (in Mitchells Plain) who doesn't want the schlep of packaging and sending the wheelset and I'd prefer for a Bike shop, with their experience, to confirm the quality of my purchase and to be able to package the wheelset and send them via a reputable courier service. He refused to sell them to me previously (because of having to Courier them) but I see that he has them up for sale again.

As I live in KZN and want to buy a wheelset in Cape Town then could I rely on a bike shop to check out the wheels and give me a report/ maybe even a hub service and then a payment of all costs for - Service/ Payment to owner for the wheels/ payment of courier costs etc.

I also don't want to go through the schlep of purchasing an old wheelset and receiving them and not being able to return them if they were faulty or receiving damaged wheels through bad packaging.

Someone suggested CycloSport in Kuils River to check out this wheelset so I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they'll act as an intermediary. I did use a cycle shop in Seapoint some years ago that did offer a good service (fairly elite shop -cant remember their name) but they are too far from Mitchells Plain where the wheels are.

Maybe we can form a list of Bike Shops that will offer this service to Hubbers.

Sometimes you want to buy some "old stuff" but haven't got the ability to check it out first.

It doesn't do away with BikeHub Pay. Just larger items like frames and wheelsets that need an inspection before sending...

I haven't had any bad purchases on BH but I'm just planning to keep it that way...

Edited by RobbyB
Added info...

There are a few reputable shops in Stellenbosch the seller could use for this services. Most if not all bike shops would do the inspection and boxing at a small fee. Shipping might have to be done externally but many reputable options for that too. 

As said above, if this is a crazy good deal or seller not willing to go the bit extra to give you piece of mind, I'll walk away and wait for another deal. This may end up being school fees. 

It’s not that difficult to pack some wheels and wait for sellers courier to arrive - I wouldn’t buy from a fellow cyclist who didn’t want to help me lighten my wallet 

I could maybe understand a whole bike but wheels ….

if you are this determined, use bike hub pay and get them properly checked out. Good luck 

Thanks for the input...but to me a wheelset could be easily damaged in transit if badly packed.

A bike shop generally has bike wheel boxes and the knowledge of how to pack them correctly. They can also inspect the wheels and advise the buyer if the wheels are in an acceptable condition.

It will also avoid the catastrophe as happened a few weeks ago when someone sold a set of 26" wheels whose hubs were sufficiently pitted to cause a lekker barney in the chat group...

1 hour ago, RobbyB said:

Thanks for the input...but to me a wheelset could be easily damaged in transit if badly packed.

A bike shop generally has bike wheel boxes and the knowledge of how to pack them correctly. They can also inspect the wheels and advise the buyer if the wheels are in an acceptable condition.

It will also avoid the catastrophe as happened a few weeks ago when someone sold a set of 26" wheels whose hubs were sufficiently pitted to cause a lekker barney in the chat group...

to be fair, wheels are pretty tough... especially if they are mtb wheels. If they are packaged properly with bubble wrap they should be fine. If the seller isn't happy doing that and bikehub pay it probably is not meant to be... (and would be a bit of a red flag to me!)

I am picking up a red flag too...but maybe lets flush out a baddie with a one star rating if wheels are no good. A Hubber has offered to go suss out the wheels for me over the week-end (for a fee).

One problem that I've encountered on BH is...lets say a Hubber goes to see an item on sale and its far below the spec it was advertised at and declines the purchase then the seller simply puts them up for sale in the next month to catch the next unsuspecting Hubber who might not inspect the item so closely (or who accepts them and after couriering them discovers that they are no good).

Maybe we need a new chat group: Avoid this inferior item on sale. I don't think that this would be a duplication of "Petition - Bring back the Classified Comments". 

52 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

I am picking up a red flag too...but maybe lets flush out a baddie with a one star rating if wheels are no good. A Hubber has offered to go suss out the wheels for me over the week-end (for a fee).

One problem that I've encountered on BH is...lets say a Hubber goes to see an item on sale and its far below the spec it was advertised at and declines the purchase then the seller simply puts them up for sale in the next month to catch the next unsuspecting Hubber who might not inspect the item so closely (or who accepts them and after couriering them discovers that they are no good).

Maybe we need a new chat group: Avoid this inferior item on sale. I don't think that this would be a duplication of "Petition - Bring back the Classified Comments". 

You can report an ad for incorrect specs and the Bikehub team are very on the ball about it.

1 hour ago, RobbyB said:

uhm ....

WHO decides if it is "good enough" ?

What may be "an inferior item" to you may be good enough at the price to the next person ....

heaven forbid a spoke snaps on the second ride ....

2 hours ago, babse said:

you must really want these wheels. I hope for your sake all is in order and wheelset is beyond your expectation 

Just an old set of DA 7800 series wheels...

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Heaven forbid a spoke snaps on the second ride ....

I have  a spare front wheel of same series...so got front wheels covered for broken spokes.