Raleigh GLIDE E-bike

Adrian Parkinson

Has anyone here bought or used one of these? I can't seem to find a single review anywhere online, and the only place that seems to sell them is Game. Are they any good? The price seems very low compared to other e-bikes.

What do you want to use it for?

A gentle ride around the neighborhood sure. Anything offroad and I’d be very very gentle with it. 

[quote]this e-bike will offer the cyclist hours fun while being suitable for tarmac or little off-road trails.[/quote]

Edited by Steady Spin

17 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

What do you want to use it for?

A gentle ride around the neighborhood sure. Anything offroad and I’d be very very gentle with it. [/quote]

Not off-roading or mountaineering, that's not my idea of fun.

As a rule of thumb, any bike you buy from Game (or Pick N Pay or Makro) will be rubbish.

I've been meaning to go on a field trip to have a look at these things, will report back when I've done so.

10 minutes ago, droo said:

As a rule of thumb, any bike you buy from Game (or Pick N Pay or Makro) will be rubbish.

I've been meaning to go on a field trip to have a look at these things, will report back when I've done so.

Agree 100%.

This one costs double, but is very good commuter bike -

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/titan-charge-e-one-29er-mountain-bike

I have one of these as my commuter .... which I used for the Argus ride this year.  LOVE this bike.  Absolutely excellent value for money (helps that I got a demo model at very good price) -

https://darrvinshop.com/

https://darrvinshop.com/ebikes/darrvin-factory-outlet

Speak to Gert at Darrvin if you want a nice deal.

38 minutes ago, droo said:

LOL, I do try to avoid shopping at all of them whenever possible. I got my basic single-speed from a small locally owned bike shop since I also prefer to support places like that over big chains like Game.

1 hour ago, TDFN said:

….. there is also one without a fork which is lighter of not going offroad….

Now THAT is something I would like to see….

😉

2 hours ago, TDFN said:

Also look at the something like this if not going offroad https://bike-addict.co.za/products/avalanche-mte-2020. Has a stronger 350W motor vs 250. And my wife gets between 85 and 100km  there is also one without a fork which is lighter of not going offroad.

Yes the price is double but they are better

That is actually the bike I was looking for on SportsmansWarehouse site ... they are out of stock of the Avalanche, but has the Titan.

Would be interesting to do a proper comparison of the Avalanche vs Titan ....

11 hours ago, Adrian Parkinson said:

Has anyone here bought or used one of these? I can't seem to find a single review anywhere online, and the only place that seems to sell them is Game. Are they any good? The price seems very low compared to other e-bikes.

At that price point they will shift numbers.

At that price point they will fall apart.

It's a tiny battery for what it is, and if it really is a bafang motor then you can bet your bottom dollar shortcuts will be taken in the build.

Steel frame, sounds fun but will be poor quality.

*Disclaimer. My experience mainly limited to riding the Argus on an off the shelf bottom of the range Raleigh hyperama bike for charity. It didn't go well(but I did finish)

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That is actually the bike I was looking for on SportsmansWarehouse site ... they are out of stock of the Avalanche, but has the Titan.

Would be interesting to do a proper comparison of the Avalanche vs Titan ....

Looks like Bike Addict have stock.
Something I found strange is the sizing of EBikes at the lower end of the price bracket (That is all I have looked at when I was shopping) is that they seem to almost be a size larger than pushbike sizes. I am 186 and felt more comfortable on a M than a L. Also my wife is 185 and there was no way she would be comfortable on a Large.

16 hours ago, Zebra said:

Now THAT is something I would like to see….

😉

Sorry typo. Without a suspension fork, but with a straight fork.

Another interesting titbit for those looking at E-Bikes (I know everyone already knows this)
There are two types and typically the hub motor bikes fall into one group and most of the BB mounted motors fall into the other.

Hub motors typically give a set amount of toque /power /assist depending on the amount of assist selected and give this whether you soft-pedal or give it horns. i.e If you select full assist, it will give 350W as long as the cranks are moving until the cutout speed which (on the Avalanche is 32kph if the combined weight is moderate and no huge headwind)

BB Motors are typically toque multipliers up to the desired setting. In both instances the assist stops at the limits set and then you are on your own.

The better option, I believe, would be the toque multipliers as you could manage the battery life better, but they cost significantly more.

It is also an issue if a stronger and weaker rider ride together the the Hub motor bikes as the push bike rider needs to manage the speed quite a bit. On the climbs the ebike blasts away, but on the flats they struggle to keep up. Going at 31kph with assist and you get to 32 all assist stops. 

I know they can be chipped or the wheel size can be modified to allow assist up to a higher speed but it is worth considering.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, motorist_no1 said:

I got the Raleigh Glide. It is very very good - like all Raleighs, strongly built, tough as anything, and the electric motor just makes this bike a pleasure to ride. It easily lasts 20km, probably could do 40km if used economically. I ride a lot of offroad track and the big wheels, fat tyres and motor make it feel fast, a bit like a offroad motorbike. I covered the words "ebike" with tape, and, because the battery is in the tube, no one can see it's electric. Roadies are amazed at how fast a huge heavy mountain bike with me on is. I'm glad no one else has discovered just how good this cheap bike is, because there aren't many in stock and I am going to buy a second one (for Jhb, my one is in CT).

Is this some comic relief?