GPS tracker tag for stolen bike

Stephan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so your device is going to send me a whatsapp everytime I ride my bike ? Problem is I'm not answering whatsapps when I'm riding.

Or will it be whatsapping me the moment I move the bike out of the garage ?

29 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

so your device is going to send me a whatsapp everytime I ride my bike ? Problem is I'm not answering whatsapps when I'm riding.

Or will it be whatsapping me the moment I move the bike out of the garage ?

Reread the explanation given about the proposed device...it explains it in detail.

2 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Is the device transferable between your own individual bikes?

With a little bit of effort you will be able to mount it on any of your bikes. I say effort because we don’t want it to be removed in a jiffy.

Edited by 3bodotbike

2 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Sounds a lot like the Garmin bike alarm?

This function sucks. The bike can be stationery and the alarm still goes off. And it's so soft on the phone that the bike will be long gone before you've realised the alarm went off.

13 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

This function sucks. The bike can be stationery and the alarm still goes off. And it's so soft on the phone that the bike will be long gone before you've realised the alarm went off.

One of the major differences of our product is that even though the bike might be gone - you are able to request its location. You can share that location with anyone.

Edited by 3bodotbike

On 4/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, Spirog said:

Agreed... what are you going to do when the tracker shows your bike is in the middle of Alex or Khayalitsha? Go in and claim it back? Hmmm... I'd rather make the insurance claim.

call a friend?

19 hours ago, 3bodotbike said:

keen to sign up...

We are in the final user testing phase and hope to hit the market before the summer of 2023. Is anyone keen on joining the test pool? Ideally, you would be Stellenbosch based.

19 hours ago, 3bodotbike said:

Howzit hubbers.

I want to weigh in on this topic...

We have developed an on-demand bicycle tracker that communicates with you via WhatsApp. We are in various talks with different strategic partners to offer value adds (insurance, asset recovery, etc). In short, what our product does is alert you when your bicycle moves. You then have to respond to the Whatsapp message if you are aware of the movement or not. If you respond no - the device kicks to on-demand tracking and you can request the location of the bicycle with very accurate coordinates. At present, the device offers 10 days of standby time (ie when your bike is standing at home and not moving) and up to 15 hours of life tracking time.

We are in the final user testing phase and hope to hit the market before the summer of 2023. Is anyone keen on joining the test pool? Ideally, you would be Stellenbosch based.

I would be interested to test this. 

We were discussing this earlier this week with a family member who just had a car stolen. Honestly in my opinion the gps tracker in your car is so you can track family members on long drives to see they get there safely and to drop the cost of insurance. Because most of these trackers are GSM based. I won't go into the details around how to avoid GSM signal, but with certain common transport methods and load shedding it is really not reliable enough in present day. Insure the bike and carry on...

28 minutes ago, dave303e said:

We were discussing this earlier this week with a family member who just had a car stolen. Honestly in my opinion the gps tracker in your car is so you can track family members on long drives to see they get there safely and to drop the cost of insurance. Because most of these trackers are GSM based. I won't go into the details around how to avoid GSM signal, but with certain common transport methods and load shedding it is really not reliable enough in present day. Insure the bike and carry on...

You make a very good point, Dave. Will you consider a tracker if it reduces your insurance premium and/or excess?

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Does it offer realtime / live info? GPS delays a thing?

Yes, it does offer real-time/live tracking info. GPS delay can be a challenge, as with any GPS device acquiring satellites for location services. 

3 minutes ago, 3bodotbike said:

You make a very good point, Dave. Will you consider a tracker if it reduces your insurance premium and/or excess?

100%. Economically it does make sense. If a tracker is able to recover 1/5 vehicles. That 1/5 will cover the cost of the discount in insurance for the 4 not recovered. I will be happy as a customer, on my car it is like R500 off the insurance spending R99 a month on tracker so a net saving of R400/month. Tracking company is happy as they get a bunch of business. Win Win Win. Even Sars is happy as money is spent all round.

My concern with a bicycle is that there is no electricity generation so the owner is in charge of keeping that tracker battery going. When it gets stolen and they can prove your battery is dead then insurance is not going to pay out. So that battery better last long and it better be easy to charge.