New Garmin rear radar - now including a camera

MongooseMan

Garmin released the new version of the RTL515 (their rear light/radar device), the RCT715.

The big difference is that it now has a camera, presumably so you can have video evidence of drivers being d*cks.

image.png.ec1abc2a334d647788ba359103974583.png

DC Rainmaker review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/05/garmin-rct715-varia-rearview-bikelight-radar-camera-review.html

I love my 515, not sure I'd pay the extra for a camera though...

Edited by MongooseMan

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Garmin released the new version of the RTL515 (their rear light/radar device), the RCT715.

The big difference is that it now has a camera, presumably so you can have video evidence of drivers being d*cks.

image.png.ec1abc2a334d647788ba359103974583.png

DC Rainmaker review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/05/garmin-rct715-varia-rearview-bikelight-radar-camera-review.html

it might be one of those things I'd wish I'd had when I didn't and needed it. luckily, not needed till now...

My Varia is such a good safety net. When the battery dies out on the road, I feel really exposed and vulnerable

Tested it a few months back...

Light is as solid as previous.

Radar is still the best part of this device.

Camera isn't amazing but it is good enough to pick up small detail (number plates). 

New mount/lock system feels proper. 

Wouldn't mind this device for Christmas 😝

17 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

I don't have a 515, but I won't be rushing out to buy the 715 any time soon...
(especially at the that price: https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/p/721258/pn/010-02475-00)

The current gadget is quite sizeable, but that new one is just huge. Wow!

GarminVaria-Radar-RCT715-vs-RTL515

Edited by splat

It's an excellent unit, honestly feel "blind" without it.

Especially handy when it's a bit windy and you and those riding with you can't hear approaching cars.

Those riding behind you will also pick up by the change in flash sequence that a vehicle is approaching. Helps with overtaking as well.

The new camera feature is another story, looks very pricey.

Camera must be with the British type of market in mind.

It's of little real value here in SA IMHO where  you really want to avoid getting hit much more than being able to have an argument later about who hit you or who was at fault. It's not a feature I'd be willing to pay extra for.

I still have a first iteration radar mated with my Edge 1030 and it works really well. Still going strong number of years down the line.

Lots of folks here ride with cameras and submit footage of close passes, phone use by drivers etc to the various authorities. I have never ridden on the road with a camera as I can hardly get organised with charging my lights, radar, garmin, phone, watch etc and I know that I wouldn’t ever take the time to download and edit footage. 

this might change that as I already have a varia so no extra charging, and if it keeps overwriting itself, so no downloading needed, it might be useful in the event of a small incident. Will have to wait and see what folks think once more have them 

I probably will wait until there is an option of connecting it to the internet and for livestreaming and autosave on the cloud, that might be useful evidence when bikejacked or hit by a car.

I have one of the standard units and feel naked leaving the house without it.

They are a game changer for road safety.

i generally ride more in the road, and when it beeps move over to the left to allow the car to pass. Saves my tires from unwanted glass and rubbish on the left edge of the road.

all my ride buddies who do not have a radar have linked their head units to my radar. Makes for a safer more informed group ride.

9 minutes ago, Furbz said:

I have one of the standard units and feel naked leaving the house without it.

They are a game changer for road safety.

i generally ride more in the road, and when it beeps move over to the left to allow the car to pass. Saves my tires from unwanted glass and rubbish on the left edge of the road.

all my ride buddies who do not have a radar have linked their head units to my radar. Makes for a safer more informed group ride.

I have one too, and it sure does provide peace of mind HOWEVER....I suggest you don't totally rely on it for your view behind you...I have had a few (very few) false negatives ie the unit said no car but there was one..can't explain the circumstances but the first time it happened, I knew I always had to give a confirmatory glance backwards before moving more into the road

30 minutes ago, capediver said:

I have one too, and it sure does provide peace of mind HOWEVER....I suggest you don't totally rely on it for your view behind you...I have had a few (very few) false negatives ie the unit said no car but there was one..can't explain the circumstances but the first time it happened, I knew I always had to give a confirmatory glance backwards before moving more into the road

I’ve only ever had non readings in high traffic situations which I think is expected.

this has slowly got better as new firmware and software has rolled out.

also when in a larger group of riders it cannot accurately see through all the bodies and bikes in the way.

In general riding out in the cradle I have otherwise found it to be extremely accurate.