Dear Trail Builders

OVERDRIVE

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

The whole "go faster for it to be more technical " thing is a fallacy. It confuses technicality with risk.  

The "boring trails with smooth corners" will definitely become more fun. But those smooth corners will definitely develop braking bumps. 

This is not just A Tygerberg MTB story.

If you don't want braking bumps, don't build berms. But then 80% of the riders won't enjoy it as much, and they need to cater for that 80% for them to pay to maintain and build new trails. Flow trails bring in more numbers, but flow trails cost more to maintain. 

Robbie, you need to go ride in the platteland. You won't be disappointed. 

I moved to the fair Cape back in '13 from George. Sadly, despite wanting to take up MTB all the time I lived there, it was an unattainable expense at the time. Now that I live here and can "afford" to mtb, ahem - I still scratch the bottom of the barrel - I am riding trails that have gotten me to the skills I have now, and I'm thankful for that, but I get so sad that I lived right beneath Witfontein trails basically my whole life and now that I don't anymore, the allure of that mountain is intense. 

As a laaitie I used to ride that forest with a steel Hansom 3x7 with drops, road tyres and rim brakes, the works.

I agree the variety to be found by travelling is what I seek, but sheez it's pricey these days.

Just for the record, I'm not blasting Tygerberg. I've just realised I've probably hit the limit of what's on offer that I'd ride. I've hit every line in the network apart from one - the proper DH at Contermans. Somehow I don't see my Camber 120mm surviving that line. For the rest, ja well you can only do the same thing so often. I have ridden Contermans close to 200 times according to Strava. Hoogekraal, not far behind either.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a wake up call re Tokai and indeed any tracks in the park.

There is a SAN Parks review of the management framework for Tokai and Cecilia underway at the moment. Once implemented this plan will determine the way these areas are managed for the next twenty years or so. TokaiMTB have already spent many hours attending meetings and making representations on behalf of mountain bikers and the retention of the trails there. There will be a detailed press release in due course. 

The principal issues are environmental and there is a particular organization that proposes a total ban on single track MTB trails in Tokai. Yes, they would like to ban bikes off anything other than jeep track because of the perceived (but not proven) environmental impact bikes have, from erosion to foreign seed importation)

The fact that our members and sponsors help TokaiMTB keep the trails as well maintained as they are is one of the reasons SANP are happy with the trail network and support our efforts. Were they left to erode away and turn to rutted water courses, the environmental lobbyists would have even more ammunition to use against us. 

I'd personally like to thank all of you who do contribute to the trails and have joined TokaiMTB. Your R400 contribution is helping keep the trails safe and well maintained which in turn will be one of the reasons why these tracks will be available in perpetuity. 

2 hours ago, Thermophage said:

FYI...Iron Monkey does not have a 20m gap jump Jewwie...I see distance inflation here goin on the same as when climbers say a route is 18m long when it's closer to 12 :P

It does... The big gap that nobody hits below the original rocky/awkward berms and above the 'rocky' section. 

The gap throw there is big and very few people hit it. They stick to the right and clear the small little roller, barrel through the trail and then rejoin the landing of the gap just before the left hander with the big drop off to the right. 

It might not be 20m, but it is big. 15m?

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

It does... The big gap that nobody hits below the original rocky/awkward berms and above the 'rocky' section. 

The gap throw there is big and very few people hit it. They stick to the right and clear the small little roller, barrel through the trail and then rejoin the landing of the gap just before the left hander with the big drop off to the right. 

It might not be 20m, but it is big. 15m?

I know the one ya talking about. It's probably in the 8m region though. Not much longer than the ones on the George DH track IMO. But more intimidating as less setup time etc so feels worse :(