Post Ride Bill Splits

OVERDRIVE

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I was "gifted" a virtual card by FNB .... The operator could not explain to me what the benefit is .... apparently some benefits for online purchases, but he certainly was not clear .....  I asked for TWO things:

1. The CANCEL the virtual card, was done immediately

2. send clear details as to what this is, the benefits, etc ..... still waiting ....

I will gladly use it, once I understand its use and benefits ..... but FNB is seriously lacking in their communication, not only on this matter.

It's a separate "card". You can set limits, cancel and block at will. CVV changes every hour. Add as many as you want at no cost.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Oodles said:

It's a separate "card". You can set limits, cancel and block at will. CVV changes every hour. Add as many as you want at no cost.

What are the benefits - other than for online purchases ?

The changing CVV may not play nicely with GarminPay .... would be good to hear from those that have tried.

30 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Perhaps I've missed it, but the big benefit of the virtual card is that you can cancel it every transaction if you wish.

Want to sign up for a trial and don't want to be charged after? Use a virtual card then cancel it after you've signed up.

You can then immediately create another virtual card and use as needed.

With FNB at least, the virtual card works exactly as a physical card would, except you have the ability to create and cancel cards at will. It just allows an extra layer of security. You can use a virtual card and if you have any reason to suspect fraud/misuse etc, you can cancel it without your entire account being at risk and without needing to then get another physical card

will give this a spin

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

The changing CVV may not play nicely with GarminPay .... would be good to hear from those that have tried.

I guess the main benefit is aimed at online purchasing. That's a good enough benefit for me to use it. Works well with GarminPay, I don't have to change the CVV.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I will never be able to make use of Garmin pay as I refuse to purchase their products after I had a watch that needed a new strap and was told that the watch was out of warranty and I would have to buy a whole new bloody watch due to the watch strap being integral to the watch .... but they could give me a discount. If I was still within warranty then they could provide a new watch at cost. 

A WATCH STRAP SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A CONSUMABLE, AND NOT A ITEM THAT REQUIRES THE BLOODY THING TO BE REPLACED.

Told them to ^#%$^&$#%^#

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I will never be able to make use of Garmin pay as I refuse to purchase their products after I had a watch that needed a new strap and was told that the watch was out of warranty and I would have to buy a whole new bloody watch due to the watch strap being integral to the watch .... but they could give me a discount. If I was still within warranty then they could provide a new watch at cost. 

A WATCH STRAP SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A CONSUMABLE, AND NOT A ITEM THAT REQUIRES THE BLOODY THING TO BE REPLACED.

Told them to ^#%$^&$#%^#

Why did you buy a device with an integrated strap in the first place 😀😃🙂. That said, my Vivosport was replaced free of charge outside the warranty after the strap broke.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

My DiscoveryBank card is simply a replica of the physical one; no differences (even the details printed on the card is the same). I think Robbie Stewart is talking about a different option offered by his bank.

This doesn't sound like a virtual card.. 🤨

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Standard Bank's virtual card is effectively an entirely different card to the actual one.

Same with FNB..

47 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Your whole description was of a different account to your main account that just happens to not allow a physical card to be linked. The concept of it being a virtual card is arbitrary and the distinction of this account to any other account (if it exists) is unclear to me...

Virtual card is a different card linked to your credit balance.. you can allocate a lesser portion of your credit amount to restrict how much can be used at a time or in totality..

25 minutes ago, Oodles said:

Correct.. Furthermore if your other apps eg GarminPAy, Apple Pay, Bottlegger etc are smart enough and seen by your bank as a preferred/trusted app you do not require to update your CVV. It will do a lookup at time of transaction and make the change seamlessly..  

22 minutes ago, Oodles said:

I guess the main benefit is aimed at online purchasing. That's a good enough benefit for me to use it. Works well with GarminPay, I don't have to change the CVV.

Thank you 👍👍

Will give it a try.  May not need to get a new card when this one expires

22 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Told them to ^#%$^&$#%^#

Hiehie ....

You are wayyyy to young be a grumpy old fart.

You could use:

ApplePay

SamsungPay (though not as good as Garmin pay)

Same technology on a range of phones ....

PS ... I did make sure to insure my Garmin watch .... sadly these do seem to be consumables ... 😬

38 minutes ago, Plentipotential said:

A few mandela's and a burner phone. Saves hours of trouble if I get jacked by bike jackers or jackoff's at the bill split coffee stop!

Losing a phone and a coffee stop while/after being hi/bike-jacked is the least of my worries.

My my.. How this thread has grown..

From Rant & Experiences, to Advice,  Strategy and now even Banking Education/Insight..

There were even some philosophical responses..

Best yet, nobody threw their toys out the box.. (other that Admin deleting posts)

Happy to be a part of this and such discussions..  

Wait until you're an ABSA customer. They seem to only offer a digital card, which is the same as your physical card only you can stop certain transactions (i.e. online purchases) at will.

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Wait until you're an ABSA customer. They seem to only offer a digital card, which is the same as your physical card only you can stop certain transactions (i.e. online purchases) at will.

I deleted the ABSA card on the phone for the simple reason is that it doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Oodles said:

Why did you buy a device with an integrated strap in the first place 😀😃🙂. That said, my Vivosport was replaced free of charge outside the warranty after the strap broke.

This was a fair no. of years back now.....and it was not exactly printed on the packaging that the bloody thing was integrated.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

ABSA .... I am only still with them as I have been with them since a young teen and my bond, debit orders, etc come off this account ... just not worth the trouble changing it. Most frustrating bank to ever deal with.

CAPITEC, opened one of these for bicycle / toys. Great bank to deal with.

FNB, opened a business account with them as Capitec does not have a business division other than Mercantile bank, and Mercantile just do not have any branches near me. FNB have been ok.

2 hours ago, Oodles said:

This is the deal clincher for me, at risk for an hour after that even if info harvested or stored and comprimised , you are protected.