Chain reaction cycles

Hi I’m looking at buying from chain reaction cycles has anyone recently dealt with them and how was your experience like 

How is the shipping and customs fees

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipping is up front displayed by them. Try use the most "expensive" option, which is seldom expensive unless you're buying heavier or bulkier items.

As for duties. Parts are duty free, but you pay VAT...Whole bikes and other items (especially anything even resembling clothing) carry a duty and then VAT on top of the total cost.

Plenty threads here with more detail, but suffice to say, if you know what you are looking for, CRC can be a great resource. If you don't you could have your butthole stretched because you didn't do the research :P

You can also check the SARS website to look for the tariff code of the item you're looking for to see whether it carries a duty or JUST VAT.

2 minutes ago, Christian nieman said:

Hi thanks @ThermophageI want to buy a helmet do you think thats a clothing item 

Helmet is classified as clothing. So factor in a massive duty, I stand corrected but I think minimum 30% + VAT at 15%. Clothing items seldom worthwhile buying unless the price is dirt cheap.

Yeah, the Helmet plus duty plus VAT and shipping lands up being almost twice as much as you pay CRC. 

So it needs to be half the local price in order to land up being the same in the end!

I have bought 3 times fairly recently from CRC, the service has been awesome, have not ordered clothing, but bike parts, ordered Tuesday, by Friday had it in my hands, ordered Saturday, by Wednesday was in my hands, and that was with the free shipping method, I have never payed extra for faster shipping, but never waited more than 7 days for my parts

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:35 AM, Chadvdw67 said:

I have bought 3 times fairly recently from CRC, the service has been awesome, have not ordered clothing, but bike parts, ordered Tuesday, by Friday had it in my hands, ordered Saturday, by Wednesday was in my hands, and that was with the free shipping method, I have never payed extra for faster shipping, but never waited more than 7 days for my parts

Do they ship directly to your door or to a postal office ?

Out of curiosity, if you get items delivered to a mate in the UK and then they courier it on to you, are there still duties/VAT etc payable?

57 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Out of curiosity, if you get items delivered to a mate in the UK and then they courier it on to you, are there still duties/VAT etc payable?

You will pay local UK tax on the product. Then when it gets couriered will pay SA imports and local taxes on the couriered parcel at the amout declared. So normally this is not really a good option. 

If it's a larger item then the free "Fedex" shipping actually ends up at SAPO so count on 4 to 6 weeks with a lot of unwanted stress. Small items are normally DHL and delivered 4 to 7 days with the free option. 

14 hours ago, Edge_Design said:

If it's a larger item then the free "Fedex" shipping actually ends up at SAPO so count on 4 to 6 weeks with a lot of unwanted stress. Small items are normally DHL and delivered 4 to 7 days with the free option. 

What is a "larger" item? I have brought in wheels and they came with DHL

Edited by Chadvdw67

2 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Probaly a bike or frame, also quite curious 😊

or maybe it has to do with weight 

Edited by Phillippe Coetzee

2 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Definitely frames or wheels but can't tell you what the criteria are. I have a set of wheels sitting with SAPO at the moment - ordered on 14 November. I would have paid for the premium shipping if I knew Fedex just co-ordinate the logistics using the cheapest service providers they can find (SAPO).

Edited by Edge_Design

2 minutes ago, Edge_Design said:

Definitely frames or wheels but can't tell you what the criteria are. I have a set of wheels sitting with SAPO at the moment - ordered on 14 November. I would have paid for the premium shipping if I knew Fedex just co-ordinate the logistics using the cheapest service providers they can find (SAPO).

That is strange, like I say, I bought a set of wheels from CRC, and a couple other odds and ends in the same order, also took the cheapest shipping option, and they landed up in my hands within 4 days through DHL