Tubeless on road rims but NOT for high pressure

NotSoBigBen

So I have another, probably stupid, idea to try out 

I have a single speed bike I only ride on the road ... it has alu 'deep' section standard road rims I've always just run with normal road tyres 700x25. So I'm scheming to get some 700x38's or thereabouts and run them tubeless with a ghetto conversion. Then run around 40psi or so

Need longish valves so either long tubeless valves if I can get or something with a long valved tube?

Anyway anyone tried something like that before?

20220605_123558.jpg

Edited by NotSoBigBen
Added photo

then add in Orangeseal and you are good to go - it is the best for higher pressure uses like road or gravel.

18 minutes ago, Lanoy Sports said:

then add in Orangeseal and you are good to go - it is the best for higher pressure uses like road or gravel.

I have finally run out of that other brand, so keen to try this one.
The 'regular' appears to have a better sealing action than the 'endurance' but doesn't last as long - am I understanding that correctly ?

And then, how big are the bottles of sealant that you are selling ?
It looks like the refill is a bit bigger than the one with the injector.

27 minutes ago, splat said:

I have finally run out of that other brand, so keen to try this one.
The 'regular' appears to have a better sealing action than the 'endurance' but doesn't last as long - am I understanding that correctly ?

And then, how big are the bottles of sealant that you are selling ?
It looks like the refill is a bit bigger than the one with the injector.

100% correct. that said this stuff lasts really well. i run regular only in the gravel and road bikes and can go months never having to top up.

one of the major upsides to this product over others is it does not cake into a ghostbusters style monster in your tire when drying up - ie you don't get a massive weight in on e section of tire where it dried out.

it also peals off extremely easy for those worried about lugging around extra weight.

MTB i do an initial fill with Regular and then on top up with Endurance.

the smaller bottle with the injector is 236ml (8oz)

the larger refill bottle is 473ml (16oz)

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

So I have another, probably stupid, idea to try out 

I have a single speed bike I only ride on the road ... it has alu 'deep' section standard road rims I've always just run with normal road tyres 700x25. So I'm scheming to get some 700x38's or thereabouts and run them tubeless with a ghetto conversion. Then run around 40psi or so

Need longish valves so either long tubeless valves if I can get or something with a long valved tube?

Anyway anyone tried something like that before?

20220605_123558.jpg

What's the internal width of those rims? You'll need at least 17mm to run 38s, preferably closer to 20 or 21 though.

Long tubeless valves are easy enough.

23 minutes ago, droo said:

What's the internal width of those rims? You'll need at least 17mm to run 38s, preferably closer to 20 or 21 though.

Long tubeless valves are easy enough.

Probably very narrow, not home to measure them ... anyway got some 'Chaoyong' 700x35's and 2 long valves so gonna give it a go anyway 😎

Just now, NotSoBigBen said:

Probably very narrow, not home to measure them ... anyway got some 'Chaoyong' 700x35's and 2 long valves so gonna give it a go anyway 😎

I was just about to say don't try this with non-tubeless tyres 😗

My approach would be tubeless rim tape topped off with electrical tape

orange seal, or even the cheap green tyre sealant from sportsmans

BUT, proper tubeless tyres..

7 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

I was just about to say don't try this with non-tubeless tyres 😗

My approach would be tubeless rim tape topped off with electrical tape

orange seal, or even the cheap green tyre sealant from sportsmans

BUT, proper tubeless tyres..

I'm in with non tubeless, not a bike I ride much, just fun!

I have 2 other sets of MTB wheels running non tubeless tyres for an all purpose road (700x38) and gravel (29×1.75) bike successfully ... these are obviously road rims and much narrower. 

I just love mucking about with stuff 😎

36 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I have 2 other sets of MTB wheels running non tubeless tyres for an all purpose road (700x38) and gravel (29×1.75) bike successfully ... these are obviously road rims and much narrower. 

I do too - difference is I've rolled a tyre off the rim before 😅

3 hours ago, Lanoy Sports said:

100% correct. that said this stuff lasts really well. i run regular only in the gravel and road bikes and can go months never having to top up.

one of the major upsides to this product over others is it does not cake into a ghostbusters style monster in your tire when drying up - ie you don't get a massive weight in on e section of tire where it dried out.

it also peals off extremely easy for those worried about lugging around extra weight.

MTB i do an initial fill with Regular and then on top up with Endurance.

the smaller bottle with the injector is 236ml (8oz)

the larger refill bottle is 473ml (16oz)

Awesome
Thanks
Will order now

So job done, one layer of insulation tape over the spoke holes, two layers of duct tape ... 

50ml of sealant, nothing fancy just what was cheapest at the LBS and 2 long tubeless valves from Grumpy at The Workshop. Amazing how resourceful that guy is, bloody hell!

Little leaks here and there but a few rides and they'll settle in. 

Not only does the ride feel so much better but it looks the dogs b0ll0cks 😎

20220614_173545.jpg

20220614_165732.jpg

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

We used to run 2.4" tyres on 17mm rims back in the earlier days of MTB, and we're still alive. So as long as you keep your pressures under 50psi or so you should be ok.

There are many charts online that will give opinions, the best one I've found so far is the Zipp calculator - https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

1 minute ago, droo said:

We used to run 2.4" tyres on 17mm rims back in the earlier days of MTB, and we're still alive. So as long as you keep your pressures under 50psi or so you should be ok.

There are many charts online that will give opinions, the best one I've found so far is the Zipp calculator - https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

Thanks for your comments and tips @droo ... I'm happy at 40PSI so I'll keep it there, that's the bike I ride when I just feel like mucking around not for any serious training or anything