SLX vs GX 1x12 cassette

MTBRIDER1234

Hey hubbers, my GX cassette is needing to be replaced soon and I am looking at the SLX cassette, simply for the fact that it is cheap and has a 510% gear range. Even factoring in the new freehub body, it would still be cheaper than a new GX cassette.

My main question is which cassette lasts longer, is higher quality and what would you recommend?

I have had good experience with SLX (with XT derailleur), and not so good with GX (with GX derailleur).  I had them both for about 6000km.  The SLX shifted well the entire 6000km, and the GX was never quite right.

I will definitely stick with SLX/XT.

Andrew

Not an GX, but I have two wheelsets, one with a SX and one with a NX derailleur.  Both excellent with no problems.  Go with what you want and what your budget allows.  No right or wrong here.

Slx all the way, comparatively cheaper and smoother shifts although they both excellent in their own right. My experience is that the GX began to shift clunky over time despite numerous attempts to retune. Could have been a lemon as there is a well documented issue on some, where I developed a noise on the 5th sprocket. I have an XT cassette now and can hardly tell the difference so the SLX to me represents the best value. Hope this helps. 

11 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

Not an GX, but I have two wheelsets, one with a SX and one with a NX derailleur.  Both excellent with no problems.  Go with what you want and what your budget allows.  No right or wrong here.

Thanks Super Sywurm, most people look down on NX or SX drivetrains, as they have been branded 'low quality' by people who buy them and then don't know how to set them up.

I run NX derailleur and shifter on my Slakline and it shifts beautifully. No complaints. (and this is going from having extensively ridden gx and xt)

In my opinion, there is nothing at all wrong with NX if you set it up well, I have only had it for a short while, so can't comment on long term performance but my friends who have had it for a while have had no problems.

Only complaint I have on a SLX cassette is its weight.  If you can, rather go XT, I previously bought two XTR cassettes on the hub, good condition & price.

Edited by TheoG

FYI weight comparison:

XTR XT SLX DEORE
Cassette 367 470 534 589
Derailleur 237 285 316 318
Shifter 112 117 117 132
Chain 269 279 279 279
TOTAL 972 1138 1233 1305

57 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Thanks Super Sywurm, most people look down on NX or SX drivetrains, as they have been branded 'low quality' by people who buy them and then don't know how to set them up.

I run NX derailleur and shifter on my Slakline and it shifts beautifully. No complaints. (and this is going from having extensively ridden gx and xt)

In my opinion, there is nothing at all wrong with NX if you set it up well, I have only had it for a short while, so can't comment on long term performance but my friends who have had it for a while have had no problems.

The main bolt and housing of the NX and SX derailleur is manufactured to sloppy tolerances and of poor materials. With use it develops play and you end up re-fastening the derailleur every ride. The movement due to the bolt causes bad shifting when you forget to tighten it. Then you end up bending your hanger as the whole thing twists. You have to bodge a fix with a redbull can to take up the play.

It is a bad product, especially considering the price. 

7 hours ago, Tenn said:

Slx all the way, comparatively cheaper and smoother shifts although they both excellent in their own right. My experience is that the GX began to shift clunky over time despite numerous attempts to retune. Could have been a lemon as there is a well documented issue on some, where I developed a noise on the 5th sprocket. I have an XT cassette now and can hardly tell the difference so the SLX to me represents the best value. Hope this helps. 

Exactly my experience.

22 hours ago, Tenn said:

More than a year apart I managed to buy two lemons ....

Now 4 off Shimano setups.  Only time I hear anything is after a long dusty ride ... bit of lube and it is super silent and smooth.

PS ... after my two 1x12 lemons I now use 1x11 Shimano

Edited by ChrisF

9 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

The main bolt and housing of the NX and SX derailleur is manufactured to sloppy tolerances and of poor materials. With use it develops play and you end up re-fastening the derailleur every ride. The movement due to the bolt causes bad shifting when you forget to tighten it. Then you end up bending your hanger as the whole thing twists. You have to bodge a fix with a redbull can to take up the play.

Surely you can use red loctite to get around that, or buy the comparitively cheap xx1 bolt kit?

Also any chance you could send pics of the can fix, as it will be a useful thing to know if I ever need it in future

10 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

What are you talking about???😵