Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

I'm looking at going the PV, inverter and Li battery route and am looking for recommendations on installers. I'm based in stellenbosch but would be happy with anyone that is relatively local (CT, Somerset, Boland). These chaps did an installation at a friend's place and he was very happy with it:

https://www.solarandgas.co.za/

But before I spend more than I've ever spent on a bike (hey I'm just trying to keep it topical), I thought I may as well ask around a bit and get some other recommendations. So if you're in a similar neighborhood to me and have someone you can recommend then I'd be keen to hear.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I'm looking at going the PV, inverter and Li battery route and am looking for recommendations on installers. I'm based in stellenbosch but would be happy with anyone that is relatively local (CT, Somerset, Boland). These chaps did an installation at a friend's place and he was very happy with it:

But before I spend more than I've ever spent on a bike (hey I'm just trying to keep it topical), I thought I may as well ask around a bit and get some other recommendations. So if you're in a similar neighborhood to me and have someone you can recommend then I'd be keen to hear.

👋 I'm also in Stellenbosch. Schalk from Techno Group did our installation in July this year and it's been totally worth it: https://www.techno-group.co.za/

• Victron MultiPlus-II 5000VA
  • Victron Cerbo GX
  • Freedom Won eTower LiFePO4 Battery 5kW

Here's my post earlier in this thread: 

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

You can also contact Corne at Forest Energy. They did mine and are very professional and well priced. 

https://forestenergy.co.za/

Need A good recommendation for A UPS battery pack thing to exclusively power my routers 

Max 10k budget 

5 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Need A good recommendation for A UPS battery pack thing to exclusively power my routers 

Max 10k budget 

Only routers? How many? Sounds like you’ll be fine with those router battery backups from takealot that sells for +-R1,000 each. They power your fibre ONT box and a router for a few hours. 

11 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Max 10k budget 

I have 4x200Ah Lb-Acid batteries and a 5kW inverter that you can have for R10k.

I replaced the batteries with LiFePO4 and got a much nicer/better inverter.  It is a Synerji Hybrid inverter, the solar charge controller never work optimally and it recently started to give me a lot of headaches.  If you use it as an inverter only though (no solar panels) it work like a dream.

This would more than cover your needs as described.  Please note, all this is used hence obviously no warranties.

Let me know if you are interested.

8 hours ago, M L said:

Only routers? How many? Sounds like you’ll be fine with those router battery backups from takealot that sells for +-R1,000 each. They power your fibre ONT box and a router for a few hours. 

Just the fibre box and router , 6 hours runtime is ideal 

Rather looking at New ( Sorry theo ) 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:38 AM, NickGM said:

Look at Eikebosch Electrical… top quality and workmanship

12 minutes ago, ichnusa said:

Look at Eikebosch Electrical… top quality and workmanship

OK, I've used them for other minor stuff around my house in the past and they were good. I didn't realize that they did solar installations too. Thanks.

15 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Max 10k budget 

I see these popping up now, not sure on the quality. They go for about 9k

Kool Energy: Mobile Inverter Trolley 1KW 100AH 12V (Kool-MIT-1KW)

Kool Energy: Mobile Inverter Trolley 1KW 100AH 12V (Kool-MIT-1KW) - Solar  Europe

16 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Max 10k budget 

I have been using one of these for a year now. 
Granted we don't have many LS periods over 2 hours here in CT, but i drain the battery every now and then for maintenance and it goes 4hours+ easily with all this connected:

1 x wifi router (2,4 and 5ghz channels active)

1 x POE wifi access point upstairs  (2,4 and 5ghz channels)

1 x POE LAN switch to garage for printers

1 x Nokia ONT box

2 lapstops on wifi

3 phones on wifi

2 ipads on wifi

it can carry all this for 4 hours and still not dip below 25%. A 2 hour bout of LS and lower use only gets it down to the 75% light..maybe 50% if you are using everything at once.

It’s seamless too, you basically remove all the power adapters from the other things, plug them directly into this with supplied cables, plug POE lan cables directly into this, and when the power cuts it just goes on like nothing happened. They are so cheap you can buy 2 or 3.

ps: it’s the size of a big router.

pps: the 100W/46Wh 14400mah LifePO4 one. Dont bother with the smaller ones.

DC0C68DF-3F94-4703-8930-57627FC0093B.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

29 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Granted we don't have many LS periods over 2 hours here in CT, but i drain the battery every now and then for maintenance and it goes 4hours+ easily with all this connected:

1 x Nokia ONT box

2 lapstops on wifi

3 phones on wifi

2 ipads on wifi

it can carry all this for 4 hours and still not dip below 25%. A 2 hour bout of LS and lower use only gets it down to the 75% light..maybe 50% if you are using everything at once.

It’s seamless too, you basically remove all the power adapters from the other things, plug them directly into this with supplied cables, plug POE lan cables directly into this, and when the power cuts it just goes on like nothing happened. They are so cheap you can buy 2 or 3.

Dedicated DC output for routers and ONTs makes sense. Well, it's more that it doesn't make sense to use a conventional UPS, which takes the battery's 12V DC output and converts it into AC, and then have that converted BACK to 12V or 9V DC for your router via the power adapters. An inefficient and pointless round trip.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

1 x Nokia ONT box

2 lapstops on wifi

3 phones on wifi

2 ipads on wifi

I can only agree with Morne here. Have one as well and zero issues with excellent runtime.

5 hours ago, Bomberman said:

I see these popping up now, not sure on the quality. They go for about 9k

Kool Energy: Mobile Inverter Trolley 1KW 100AH 12V (Kool-MIT-1KW)

Kool Energy: Mobile Inverter Trolley 1KW 100AH 12V (Kool-MIT-1KW) - Solar  Europe

This may look tempting .... some of the good points:

1. Affordable

2. Easy install and use

3. Pure sine wave (at least claimed)

4. Solar input .... though this DO open a big can of worms and a host of a legal issues ......

DOWN SIDES :

1. Looks like it can only fit one battery ... no way to expand WHEN your needs increase ....

2. 10A charge is TOO SLOW for higher loadshedding shedules !!!  This system simply cant recharge fast enough, and will damage the battery all too soon (during higher loadshedding periods) .....

3. Seems like a normal lead acid battery, thus the low charge rate.  (at the very least you want a gel battery and a 15A charger, and even this struggles past Stage 4 loadshedding!!)

rather save a bit more .... die is goedkoop koop is duur koop ....