Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

So after waiting and waiting and the guy not responding to messages the wife got fedup and started looking around.

We landed up buying one of these from Takealot.

rct-t-2000-trolley-a_d1ng.jpg?width=1026&height=1026

Arrived yesterday.

So far it looks decent and nicely put together.

Left it charging the entire night (even though it indicated batteries are 100%, I decided to follow the instructions).

Plugged the wifes laptop etc. into it this morning, I need to get an extension cord to get the wifi and fibre onto it, and will probably also add TV to it.

Quite a bit cheaper than takealot https://techglobal.co.za/product/rct-megapower-2kva-2000w-inverter-trolley-with-2-x-100ah-batteries-black/

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Craai said:

Eish.

To late now. And if you keep looking you'll never buy.

One of the managers here has been watching the price on Takealot going down weekly, but wait to long and then there is no stock.

B.T,W. I've never heard of techglobal, are they legit.

Just now, The Ouzo said:

Eish.

To late now. And if you keep looking you'll never buy.

One of the managers here has been watching the price on Takealot going down weekly, but wait to long and then there is no stock.

B.T,W. I've never heard of techglobal, are they legit.

No idea, just googled the same model and they popped up

3 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Nice setup! What was the total installed cost?

Theirs were R190k, but included extension to the garage.

Ours were R170k.

For today, they standing on 16.9kw, we on 25.5kw, both batteries full. Atleast another hour of generating, for this they could have installed less panels. 
Final generation figure is 17.6kw for them, 26kw for our home.

Edited by DJuice

44 minutes ago, Craai said:

No idea, just googled the same model and they popped up

Half the price of other places makes me suspicious. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I over specked it for its intended use, by wiring it in I wont go the whole house, perhaps another plug circuit to keep the alarm powered and one of the lights circuits.

👍

I’ve found over-speccing to be a must with this level of system, they are very rarely able to regularly operate at even close to full capacity without issue like the mid-to-higher-end systems can.

As long as you are aware of its limitations, you’ll be fine.

1 hour ago, LazyTrailRider said:

👍

I’ve found over-speccing to be a must with this level of system, they are very rarely able to regularly operate at even close to full capacity without issue like the mid-to-higher-end systems can.

As long as you are aware of its limitations, you’ll be fine.

The problem starts with level 4 or 6 loadshedding ...

The system simply cant recharge the battery fast enough !!!!

During these stages only use it for the truly essential stuff.  Even then, keep an eye on the charge level ....  going below 50% is VERY $$$$$$$$$

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

…or it enables you to charge fairly fast, but then overheats, resulting in damaged circuitry (we’ve had a few of these).

12 hours ago, DJuice said:

Theirs were R190k, but included extension to the garage.

Ours were R170k.

For today, they standing on 16.9kw, we on 25.5kw, both batteries full. Atleast another hour of generating, for this they could have installed less panels. 
Final generation figure is 17.6kw for them, 26kw for our home.

That seems reasonable for the kit. Keen to do the same when I eventually own my own house.

13 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I over specked it for its intended use, by wiring it in I wont go the whole house, perhaps another plug circuit to keep the alarm powered and one of the lights circuits.

As LTR said, don't wire it into the house circuit. Rather move the alarm plug, wifi box, fibre box, tv and a lamp etc into one room and use an extension plug to power these items

It won't be a problem to wire it into the house, but it's beyond its design spec and could fail. Keep it mobile as it's intended

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

The problem starts with level 4 or 6 loadshedding ...

During these stages only use it for the truly essential stuff.  Even then, keep an eye on the charge level ....  going below 50% is VERY $$$$$$$$$

this is once of the reasons we over specced. Running the essential office equipment it wont drain the battery as much, therefore shorter recharge times needed.

At a later stage I could also add PV panels, this will allow much lower discharge rate during daytime loadshedding.

30 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

this is once of the reasons we over specced. Running the essential office equipment it wont drain the battery as much, therefore shorter recharge times needed.

At a later stage I could also add PV panels, this will allow much lower discharge rate during daytime loadshedding.

Plugged into this inverter trolley???