Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

5 hours ago, Schnavel said:

Yup, it is only going to get worse from here on... 

Best to spend some more money on additional panels & batteries. We are going to start having more and more stage 6 loadshedding.

I have just installed another battery and looking at getting an additional 4 panels in the new year.

Fully agree .... we are facing lots more loadshedding.

BUT .... not because these two are leaving

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, dave303e said:

You can get geyser specific smart switches for relatively cheap nowadays. Makes life very easy to manage that sort of thing. When we had electric geyser at our old house often the mrs would just log in and kill the geyser whilst we were driving to holiday/airport. Then she would turn it back on timing it right to be home to warm water if needed. It worked really well.

Exactly what I use. Turned it off the morning we left, then decided to turn it on the day before we came back, because it’s on a timer and I wanted to make sure that even if there was load shedding, there would at least still be warmish water in the geyser on our return. 

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Exactly what I use. Turned it off the morning we left, then decided to turn it on the day before we came back, because it’s on a timer and I wanted to make sure that even if there was load shedding, there would at least still be warmish water in the geyser on our return. 

Also on my shopping list to get seeing as my old dumb timer broke so might as well go with the smart timer option (well technically I do currently control it with my phone but that is via whattsapp messages 😅)

12 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Welcome to the other watt obsession.  It is kinda like w/kg but just w/hr 😁

* silently closes the python sdk being used to build a pipeline from the data logger to a personal db....

On 12/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, 117 said:

Err... If you thought load shedding is equal around the country... It's not

Screenshot_20221215_113804_com.ashwhale.sepush.eskom.jpg.fe0c93f0bee022093d1b8554f7e49733.jpg

"The eThekwini Municipality in KZN experienced severe flood damage earlier this year, therefore their load shedding is largely limited due to major infrastructure repairs and maintenance that is ongoing"

This was posted on the Ekurhuleni Ward 106 DA Telegram group as the "excuse" for this 🙈.

31 minutes ago, TheoG said:

"The eThekwini Municipality in KZN experienced severe flood damage earlier this year, therefore their load shedding is largely limited due to major infrastructure repairs and maintenance that is ongoing"

This was posted on the Ekurhuleni Ward 106 DA Telegram group as the "excuse" for this 🙈.

And here we had loadshedding from 20:00-00:30 and 02:00-06:30 last night and this morning, effectively 8-9hrs I had to power of my single battery setup before I could recharge from PV again.  In theory I only have about 10hrs capacity for my current consumption and setup 🙈.  The margins was tight 😅

23 minutes ago, -cK- said:

And here we had loadshedding from 20:00-00:30 and 02:00-06:30 last night and this morning, effectively 8-9hrs I had to power of my single battery setup before I could recharge from PV again.  In theory I only have about 10hrs capacity for my current consumption and setup 🙈.  The margins was tight 😅

We have 2 x 4 hour and another 2 hours today, 10hrs in total.  Thats without the fact that they normally switch as on 30min late on average, hence another 1.5 hours .... 🤦‍♂️

Luckily solar was good the last 3 days, my batteries are cruising through this, no problem :).

2 hours ago, -cK- said:

Our battery was still on boost charge from multiple session over night when we hit 8.00 to 12.30 .... 😵💫

Thankfully the load is now carried from solar, so the battery gets a breather ...

10+ hour sessios for us on Sunday

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone comment on 12v carbon battery VS lithium battery plz. Deep cycle is out as they dont last.

22 minutes ago, taito said:

Can someone comment on 12v carbon battery VS lithium battery plz. Deep cycle is out as they dont last.

I have zero experience with Lead-Carbon batteries, in fact this is the first time I heard of them 🙈.

A quick google search tell me they are better than Lead-Acid but not better than LiFePO4.

Discharge to 50% only where LiFePO4 you can take down to 20% and even lower according to some manufacturers.

Price is going to be the determining factor.  If they are significantly cheaper than LiFePO4, it might be worth it.

Edit:  Pb-C batteries is basically an incremental improvement on Pb-Acid (AGM/Deep cycle incuded).  Give 3500 cycles compared to 1500 cycles.  Apparently they also better in temperatures below freezing.

Edited by TheoG

Thanks I was quoted R 4500 inc --so I will give it a go. I chatted to a mate that runs a battery outlet and it seems the lead/carbons will become the go- to  battery if you dont want to spend the money on Lithium.

1 minute ago, taito said:

Thanks I was quoted R 4500 inc --so I will give it a go. I chatted to a mate that runs a battery outlet and it seems the lead/carbons will become the go- to  battery if you dont want to spend the money on Lithium.

For what size (Ah) battery is that?

Edited by TheoG