Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Can one install a geyserwise timer without the pannels etc, Would like to set specific timers etc for the tenant HWC. So that she can turn it on and off and see what temp the water in the geyser is etc.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Can one install a geyserwise timer without the pannels etc, Would like to set specific timers etc for the tenant HWC. So that she can turn it on and off and see what temp the water in the geyser is etc.

Yes you can no problem.

20 hours ago, TheoG said:

Mine was about R19k, but I did negotiate to get it down, They initially wanted something like R21k.

Edit:  Thats for a 150 liter geyser, obviously for a bigger geyser you need more oemf from the panels and hence more expensive.

Seeing as I already have an inverter I opted to rather just add in panels to my setup instead of going geyser wise.  Geyser already on a timer and usually just shorts a 1000-1500w on my current solar when on so was more cost effective to just add 6 panels to my array for basically same price as what geyser wise would have cost me.  This way no fiddling with the geyser and give some headroom to use more high draw items concurrently instead of one at a time during the day. 

Overall once the upgrade is done I should have 5kW PV and 10kW Batt capacity and if the crap hits the fan I can just adjust my evening usage abit and I can squeeze the setup to be grid independent during the summer at least not sure about winter as this will be my first time with solar this winter so still need to see how it will hold up and preform.

20 hours ago, TheoG said:

I also have 2x455W panels with Geyserwise on my geyser.  So far we use very little to zero Eksdom to heat the geyser.  In winter might need some, but for now I'm smiling all the way.

Whats the cost of the Geyserwise with 2 x pannels?

2 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Seeing as I already have an inverter I opted to rather just add in panels to my setup instead of going geyser wise.  Geyser already on a timer and usually just shorts a 1000-1500w on my current solar when on so was more cost effective to just add 6 panels to my array for basically same price as what geyser wise would have cost me.  This way no fiddling with the geyser and give some headroom to use more high draw items concurrently instead of one at a time during the day. 

Overall once the upgrade is done I should have 5kW PV and 10kW Batt capacity and if the crap hits the fan I can just adjust my evening usage abit and I can squeeze the setup to be grid independent during the summer at least not sure about winter as this will be my first time with solar this winter so still need to see how it will hold up and preform.

just for clarification, Geyserwise is the device that controls the geyser (i.e. timing, temps etc.), the power to the geyser will come from PV panel etc.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

just for clarification, Geyserwise is the device that controls the geyser (i.e. timing, temps etc.), the power to the geyser will come from PV panel etc.

Thats 100% correct.  Power come from PV and/or Eskom.

Edited by TheoG

Yes but the setup the people usually do and some are referring to here is a geyserwise with an control unit to link 2 or 3 solar panel to the geyser which runs you about 18-20k for a solar geyser setup (was one of the options I discussed with the solar guys here) vs just the geyserwise unit, was quoted about R 2500 for that a while back for the temp and timer options only etc.

Just now, -cK- said:

Yes but the setup the people usually do and some are referring to here is a geyserwise with an control unit to link 2 or 3 solar panel to the geyser which runs you about 18-20k for a solar geyser setup (was one of the options I discussed with the solar guys here) vs just the geyserwise unit, was quoted about R 2500 for that a while back for the temp and timer options only etc.

I just wanted to put the clarification there as someone might be looking at this thread, google geyserwise and think they have found a bargain when they see price of R2500 instead of the 15-20k being spoken about here.

You also get different geyserwise controllers, range from the most simple to higher end ones.

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Geyerwise is excatly that ===> a timer

You tell is when to switch on, based on TEMP in geyer and time of day.

excample ours is set to switch on the geyers at 16:30 if follwing conditions are not met

If temp is not 45 deg then the GW will switch on the element and heat up water to 55deg and switch of. 

at 17:30 GW switches off the element until the next morning at 5:30 and then checks temp again and if below 45 it will heat up untill 55.

If the temp is 45 -55 deg the element remains off irrespective of the time of day

The panels will heat the water during the day and some have a pump to move water from "tank" to panels in order to heat up the water. Geyerwise will be doing nothing except stop eskom power from reaching the geyser

13 minutes ago, Paul Gleed said:

Whats the cost of the Geyserwise with 2 x pannels?

TheoG said he paid R19k for his, if I recall correctly.
Edit: power is off in Alberton = no internet (fiber) so my connection is a bit slow using Free-G

This crowd's prices are usually on the upper end of expensive
https://www.sustainable.co.za/products/geyserwise-pv-solar-water-heating-kit-for-150l-geyser

Here's another price:
https://solarsupply.co.za/shop/gysers-solutions/gas-geysers/solar-geyser/geyserwise-solar-conversion-kit-150l/

And a google search showing options:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enZA949ZA949&sxsrf=AJOqlzVMTHP2ejUfnSTd8E8P75OyHJN14Q:1673432207964&q=Geyserwise+PV+solar+water+heating+Kit+for+200L+geyser&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHrr7ipL_8AhWDh1wKHcoXBpcQ1QJ6BAg9EAE&biw=1362&bih=726&dpr=1.25

Edited by Frosty

6 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Thats 100% correct.  Power come from PV and/or Eskom.

Nope the PV does not supply power to the geyser (well not in my case)

The water circulates via teh panels and thus gets heated.

The geyser element ONLY get power from Eskom or not at all

15 minutes ago, -cK- said:

I went the same route started phase1 with 12 panels and 1 battery and inverter and I changed my 200l  geyser element to 3kw. I was still using Eskom to heat my water and then in phase 2 I added another 8 panels and another 5.1kwh battery. My geyserwise starts to heat at 10am to 12 in summer and I use no Eskom power to heat water. I have some excess power in the afternoon to charge another battery should I ever get one. 

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Thx alot for the info

Semantics ....

Geyserwise is a brand name with a growing range of products.

Meinhard is the man behind this brand.  He is based in the Northern suburbs in the Western Cape.

Their "geyser timer" was one of their first products.  It is different to normal timers in that it allows different temperature zones through the day.

Their "dual element pv geyser" system is the product that comes with:

1. Dual element - one for eskom and one for pv

2. PV panels and mppt regulator

3. Their timer

About 10 years ago Meihard also launched a pv system and dc pool pump.

32 minutes ago, Quagga said:

Geyerwise is excatly that ===> a timer

You tell is when to switch on, based on TEMP in geyer and time of day.

excample ours is set to switch on the geyers at 16:30 if follwing conditions are not met

If temp is not 45 deg then the GW will switch on the element and heat up water to 55deg and switch of. 

at 17:30 GW switches off the element until the next morning at 5:30 and then checks temp again and if below 45 it will heat up untill 55.

If the temp is 45 -55 deg the element remains off irrespective of the time of day

The panels will heat the water during the day and some have a pump to move water from "tank" to panels in order to heat up the water. Geyerwise will be doing nothing except stop eskom power from reaching the geyser

Used it for our solar set up, was just thinking of getting one without the solar panel for the small flatlet on the property as that geyser just sits on the whole day.