Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi clever people. I'm on the verge of getting a Lux 5kva inverter with 8 x 12v 100ah lead batteries (lead for several reasons) This will give 48v and 200ah. Good enough for lights, gates, TV etc and be able to defrost supper in microwave before cooking on gas and to boil a kettle. I'm just worries about being able to recharge it in times of long load shedding.

If anyone can please help... if my 8 batteries are used to say 50%, how long would it take to charge them back to 100% based on a charge of say 30 or 50v (or is that watts)? 

If anyone can calculate and advise on this, it would be appreciated.

Oh, another question... planning to have inverter mounted on a wall, but is it safe to have the batteries installed in a cupboard (out of sight). (In garage not really an option).

Cheers for now.

1 hour ago, Roadie_ said:

Hi clever people. I'm on the verge of getting a Lux 5kva inverter with 8 x 12v 100ah lead batteries (lead for several reasons) This will give 48v and 200ah. Good enough for lights, gates, TV etc and be able to defrost supper in microwave before cooking on gas and to boil a kettle. I'm just worries about being able to recharge it in times of long load shedding.

If anyone can please help... if my 8 batteries are used to say 50%, how long would it take to charge them back to 100% based on a charge of say 30 or 50v (or is that watts)? 

If anyone can calculate and advise on this, it would be appreciated.

Oh, another question... planning to have inverter mounted on a wall, but is it safe to have the batteries installed in a cupboard (out of sight). (In garage not really an option).

Cheers for now.

Do you know the Amps the inverter can charge at?

Ok, shooting from the hip here, but this is what I get with ChatGPT

The charge time does look a little short to me for a lead acid battery, though when I did the same for my LiPO solution at home it was rather accurate.

Sooo....

Question: Grid charge = 60A as per the following link
https://www.solar-europe.co.za/product/lux-power-inverter-5kw-off-grid-lux-sna5000wpv/

If I use Lux 5kva inverter with 8 x 12v 100ah lead batteries, this will give 48v and 200ah. If this is depleted to 50%, how long will it take to recharge with a 60A current charger. The lead acid batteries have a 70% efficiency

Answer:

To calculate the recharge time, we first need to determine the amount of energy that needs to be replenished:

• The total capacity of the batteries is 48V x 200Ah = 9,600 Wh.
  • If the batteries are depleted to 50%, this means that 4,800 Wh of energy needs to be replenished.

Now, let's calculate the time it would take to recharge the batteries with a 60A charger and a 70% efficiency:

• The charging power is 48V x 60A x 0.7 = 2,688 W.
  • The time it would take to replenish 4,800 Wh of energy is 4,800 Wh / 2,688 W = 1.79 hours or approximately 107 minutes.

Note that this is a theoretical calculation and actual recharge time may vary depending on various factors such as temperature, battery age, and charger efficiency.

I would rather advise on getting a 5kW lithium battery. Weigh up the cost and life expectancy of 8x lead-acid batteries (3-4 years) vs 1x LiFePO4 (up to 10 years). You will need to double your cost of lead acid batteries. 

Hi Hairy. Thanks. I believe it can charge at 50+A but I've been told to rather charge at 30 as it's slower and will extend the life of the batteries. Based on your answer, at a low 30w it should recharge in 3.6 hours which is great. When I'm at work or sleeping, there will be almost no power being drawn (geyser is solar) , so if I manage the system the batteries should last several years.

Thanks again.... hope chat GPS is accurate. Ha.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I would rather advise on getting a 5kW lithium battery. Weigh up the cost and life expectancy of 8x lead-acid batteries (3-4 years) vs 1x LiFePO4 (up to 10 years). You will need to double your cost of lead acid batteries. 

Hi Frost. Bit wary of lithium. Besides the crazy  cost, concerned of fire risk as will be installed in the house. After say 3 years if batteries last that long, will review replacement options as I'm sure technology will have improved.

There are a few forums, eg. www.powerforum.co.za where they can give the best advice.

If setup correctly, fire shouldn’t be a problem. Fumes from L-A should be a concern though. Fire suppression can be built in too.

Some reading:
https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lithium-vs-lead-acid-batteries/

Will update a bit later, Pogácar has just attacked.

This is a company that manufacturers both types, and list the specs for both.
https://www.mustess.com/lithium-ion-vs-lead-acid-batteries/

i have a few friends, plus my Mom, with these batteries.
https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/pages/about-lifepo4

Edited by Frosty

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

There are a few forums, eg. www.powerforum.co.za where they can give the best advice.

If setup correctly, fire shouldn’t be a problem. Fumes from L-A should be a concern though. Fire suppression can be built in too.

Thanks. Will check that forum. 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Some reading:
https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lithium-vs-lead-acid-batteries/

Will update a bit later, Pogácar has just attacked.

This is a company that manufacturers both types, and list the specs for both.
https://www.mustess.com/lithium-ion-vs-lead-acid-batteries/

i have a few friends, plus my Mom, with these batteries.
https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/pages/about-lifepo4

Thanks again Frosty. Interesting reading. Will explore further, especially wrt positioning if I still opt for lead acid as the space I have is in a cupboard (might have to remove the doors as seems these batteries need ventilation).

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Roadie_ said:

Thanks again Frosty. Interesting reading. Will explore further, especially wrt positioning if I still opt for lead acid as the space I have is in a cupboard (might have to remove the doors as seems these batteries need ventilation).

Cheers

Also account for the Lead Acid batteries being as heavy as .... well as heavy as a lump of lead 🤣

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Also account for the Lead Acid batteries being as heavy as .... well as heavy as a lump of lead 🤣

😄. Hey Hairy, heavy is fine...not planning on doing squats with them. Just want to get through say 3 years, then if City of CT has not implemented a solution, or if things get worse, then will go lithium and solar.

13 hours ago, Roadie_ said:

😄. Hey Hairy, heavy is fine...not planning on doing squats with them. Just want to get through say 3 years, then if City of CT has not implemented a solution, or if things get worse, then will go lithium and solar.

More concerned about your cupboard taking the load of the batteries than your squatting capacity :P

• 3 weeks later...

Phase 1 of giving Eskom the middle finger completed. Harnessing the power of the sun.

Phase 2, gas installation for stove and geysers early next week.

Solar.jpg

Got panels last week and with a short google and a few settings even the geyser is being supplied when I have enough battery and solar going. Next step is more bettery to maximise the panels I have, potentially more panel if I need after that. Currently already fully charged and running only on solar by lunch time.

Geyser.jpg