Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Which inverter are you looking for? There is a pass-thru option on hybrid inverters.

Read the discussion here… https://powerforum.co.za/topic/8064-pass-through-current-in-hybrid-inverters/

My Sunsynk shows 7700KVA but the alarm on the meter sounds whenever we exceed 5000W. The family knows not to use multiple items at the same time. Ottawa way of life we changed to in 2020.

Thanks Frosty. I'll read through bit later. I'm looking at the Lux SNA5000. Happy to go easy during load shedding, but after that I don't want to be limited. I want all plugs on essentials, so I can choose what I want to use for 10min depending on needs. Seems crazy to then still be limited after load shedding.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:51 PM, Roadie_ said:

Hi guys. I have a technical question. If I opt for the 5kva with 1 x 5.12wkh battery (no pv's), I understand that during load shedding I'm limited to using certain appliances only at the same time, up to eg 5000 watts combined (1c battery). My question is...if there is no load shedding, can I run more than this...ie can I run eg 7000watts at the same time as I do now when using normal Eskom power? Or, does all power have to still go through the inverter and I'm limited to 5000 even though there is no load shedding? My non-essentials will be stove, geyser, pool-pump. During non-load shedding, I want to be able to use microwave, kettle, airfryer etc which are all on the essentials - at the same time?

Guidance would be appreciated.

Short answer is that 5KVa inverters can pass through more than 5KW (usually around 8KW but it will depend on the inverter). That limit only applies to the essential part of the circuit. Anything on non-essential should still run on Eskom without a limitation.

Long answer is that all that depends on the make and model of your inverter and how it's wired in to your DB.

40 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Short answer is that 5KVa inverters can pass through more than 5KW (usually around 8KW but it will depend on the inverter). That limit only applies to the essential part of the circuit. Anything on non-essential should still run on Eskom without a limitation.

Long answer is that all that depends on the make and model of your inverter and how it's wired in to your DB.

Thanks very much Jehosefat. That confirms what I was told by another this week-end. It is a relief, as I was worried the Lux inverter would be 'screaming' or pop anytime it got close to 5KW. That extra 3KW allowance is peace of mind in case anyone switches on one appliance too many (of the essentials). Have revised my layout for which plugs to put via inverter. Thanks again to the guys on this forum who gave me useful info. Just waiting for stock now. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys. I have no idea of inverters etc but i see RED-E advertising their portable products during TDF coverage. What's your thoughts on these types of portable solutions? I would only want to power the TV and DSTV decoder.

I am finally getting around to upgrading my system.
Well, replacing it actually.

8kW Sunsynk + Hubble AM-5 battery
I will get another battery next month.
We had the roof tested for asbestos - that came back positive, so solar panels will be a problem.

The electricians are run off their feet, so trying to get a slot with my guy is challenging.
Just as Stage 6 kicks in!

4 hours ago, Prince said:

Hi Guys. I have no idea of inverters etc but i see RED-E advertising their portable products during TDF coverage. What's your thoughts on these types of portable solutions? I would only want to power the TV and DSTV decoder.

Very nice if you rent and cant get something more permanent. But quite expensive per unit of backup power. Not sure if this specific one can do solar panels eventually, so adding a bitt to your bill.

5 hours ago, Prince said:

They look clever from a compact and portability point of view, but for R20k you would get more value from a 'trolley inverter' that you could link up to your DB and run a few lights and light appliances.

Not this one specifically, but something like this:

https://www.geewiz.co.za/load-shedding-solutions/180855-axpert-type-pure-sine-3000va-inverter-trolley-2x-100ah-lithium-battery-12-hour-battery-life-kit-3000w-50a-pwm-solar-with-lithium-battery-3000-cycles-2560wh.html

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience with having solar panels installed on a asbestos tiled roof ?

Is there a way to remove the tiles where the fixing bolts would go and patch over that?
This would leave the rest of the roof untouched and no drilling through tiles would be required.

I understand that asbestos is highly dangerous and working on it is not allowed.
Is there a legal work-around ?

There are a few posts about gas geysers on this thread, but I didn't see any recommendations.

Can anyone share their experiences on size/output and brands to go for or avoid ?

56 minutes ago, splat said:

There are a few posts about gas geysers on this thread, but I didn't see any recommendations.

Can anyone share their experiences on size/output and brands to go for or avoid ?

It depends on what your requirement is. Factors to consider:

1. Single tap or multiple tap at the same time.

2. Water flow per minute. It’s called a bucket test, where you fill a bucket and weight it after 1 minute at full flow. That will give you the number of litres per minute (double it it you’re opening two taps at the same time). Too low pressure/flow and the unit won’t kick in.

3. Will the heater be installed inside or out. Inside will require fluting to pull gas out the room. Outside require protection from the elements.

4. Where will you store the gas bottles and crossover manifold (allowing two cylinders to be connected; not mandatory). It cannot be within 1m from any door or window opening, and requires a double brick wall, with cage (and closed on top).

5. There are units with a “turbo fan” where it boosts flow. I’m not too clued up on this unit.

6. Do you want remote control, phone app or control panel (helpful when the unit is outside).

Dewhot have a local office, so spare parts are easily available for repairs. Some of the leading white brand manufacturers are here, eg. Bosch, but I’m not sure about their after sales service.

The guy that did my oven/stove installation gave me a lot of tips to get the non-gas compliant house, compliant. For a gas stove, it’s easy, as we’ve allowed 1x 9kg in a cupboard in the kitchen. But for a gas geyser, it’s better to have it outside.

19 hours ago, splat said:

Another thing to consider is that a lot of the bigger ones (like 25l/min and up) need a power point for the igniter so they won't work when there's load shedding unless you have a backup power system of some sort.

As Frosty said, a changeover manifold and two gas bottles is not necessary but it's 100% the way to go. Nothing worse than running out of gas mid shower and not having another bottle you can switch to to finish.

I've got two geysers. A 16l/min Ariston geyser that runs on D-cell batteries for the kitchen, laundry and maid's quarters. Batteries last for ages (I've had it for almost two years and I replaced the batteries for the first time 2 weeks ago), no issues heating the water as long as you only run one tap at a time. I've also got a 26l/min Paloma that needs to be plugged in and it's an absolute beast, no issue heating the water to 60° in the middle of winter while running two showers at the same time.

I've not had any issues with either of them so I'd happily recommend either based on my experiences.

Ariston is Italian, so it’s bound to be a good unit (my unbiased opinion). They’ve been around in SA for many years too.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips and advice

I ended up getting a Dewhot 20l (Fan Forced) outdoor unit with 2 x 48kg bottles that also feed the gas hob. This unit has a remote control unit, so we don't have to go outside to adjust anything.

While waiting for quotes, the existing P.O.S. solar geyser contraption started spraying water all over the place. Luckily, its external so no drama. So, I had that removed.
So glad that is gone!

image.png.f975da46b3b5675209684817b9de817f.png