Starter MTB for roadie wife?

esCape-ist

Hi forum. I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction here, or rather save me from wasting money.

My wife is an avid roadie, and despite my best efforts over the past few years, I have never been able to get her to join me on the MTB. Yesterday, out of the blue she tells me she has been offered a sponsored entry for W2W through her company, and wants us to ride it together, and I need to get her a MTB.

Budget is somewhat limited at the moment, and I also don’t know yet if the MTB bug is going to bite yet. So my thinking is to look at getting her something sort of well used in the classifieds, like this:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/574358/scott-spark-elite-m-29

and then spend some money on worthwhile upgrades like a dropper and 1x12 XT or GX, and maybe better/wider wheels on decent hubs.

my thinking being she would then be on a really decent bike for around 25k, if she decides mountain biking really isn’t her thing, I can put the old parts back on and sell the bike for close to what I paid, and keep the upgrade parts for myself.

If she decides she loves MTB, we can then just look for a newer modern geo frame, and build the other parts over to the new frame. The down side is I would be spending money on non-boost hubs, and an external routed dropper.

is this a smart approach, or am I just wasting money in the long run. I don’t believe in financing toys, but should I rather look at financing a new bike here? An 80k cash buy right now is just not viable.

Edited by esCape-ist

I think you are on the right track with your original thought - get a bike which is half decent and just let her ride it before doing any upgrades.

I would rather spend a bit more money on a second hand bike and get a decent carbon frame and wheels. Even if it is a 2x drivetrain, that is also fine, in fact, it's probably better as it gives a much larger range of gears.

If the bug bites, then you can consider either upgrading or getting a better bike. If not, you can sell the bike for a similar amount to which you paid for it.

If it were my money, I would be looking for a well spec'ed second hand bike such as the following:

Price drop silverback sesta carbon | Bike Hub

On average, a sub-20k FS will cost you at least 6k to get running properly. Just factor that in when you buy the bike.

That aside, used is king when you're buying something for someone who's just starting out. That way, if it doesn't work out, you can sell the bike for what you paid for it and you've just paid running costs, and if it does work out you can do the same but buy the proper thing the second time round and have a bit of time to look for the right one.

For a beginner I'd recommend something possibly a bit more trail-oriented - maybe 120mm up front and a bit slacker - as it'll inspire a lot more confidence than an arse-up-head-down race bike. The 2016-ish Spark 120, Spez Camber or similar would be my starting point.

Thanks for the responses so far. Will definitely keep both in mind. I will have a bit of a deeper delve into the classifieds and see what looks best. Yes, 120mm trail/down country is probably what I should be looking for.

on that note, which of the rockshocks fork are easily upgradable from 100 to 120mm? Or more importantly, which ones aren’t. I know I did this on a previous fork on my old Scott spark (think it was a 2013 model, and had a Reba fork). I think if I do end up getting her something with a 100mm travel, but could easily “upgrade” to 120 up front, that will also be a good option.

5 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Thanks for the responses so far. Will definitely keep both in mind. I will have a bit of a deeper delve into the classifieds and see what looks best. Yes, 120mm trail/down country is probably what I should be looking for.

on that note, which of the rockshocks fork are easily upgradable from 100 to 120mm? Or more importantly, which ones aren’t. I know I did this on a previous fork on my old Scott spark (think it was a 2013 model, and had a Reba fork). I think if I do end up getting her something with a 100mm travel, but could easily “upgrade” to 120 up front, that will also be a good option.

SID you shouldn't push past 100mm, even if it says it can. Most Rebas are ok (and will have markings up to 120mm on the stanchion), and Fox 32 are hit and miss.

Rather buy the thing at the travel you want unless you know exactly what to look for.

8 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Hi forum. I’m hoping you can point me in the right direction here, or rather save me from wasting money.

My wife is an avid roadie, and despite my best efforts over the past few years, I have never been able to get her to join me on the MTB. Yesterday, out of the blue she tells me she has been offered a sponsored entry for W2W through her company, and wants us to ride it together, and I need to get her a MTB.

Budget is somewhat limited at the moment, and I also don’t know yet if the MTB bug is going to bite yet. So my thinking is to look at getting her something sort of well used in the classifieds, like this:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/574358/scott-spark-elite-m-29

and then spend some money on worthwhile upgrades like a dropper and 1x12 XT or GX, and maybe better/wider wheels on decent hubs.

my thinking being she would then be on a really decent bike for around 25k, if she decides mountain biking really isn’t her thing, I can put the old parts back on and sell the bike for close to what I paid, and keep the upgrade parts for myself.

If she decides she loves MTB, we can then just look for a newer modern geo frame, and build the other parts over to the new frame. The down side is I would be spending money on non-boost hubs, and an external routed dropper.

is this a smart approach, or am I just wasting money in the long run. I don’t believe in financing toys, but should I rather look at financing a new bike here? An 80k cash buy right now is just not viable.

Nothing better than a @Titan Racing Bikes

15 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Nothing better than a @Titan Racing Bikes

Nothing against them and I am all for supporting local, but I am specifically looking at slightly older used bikes in the classifieds, and it is not like there are a lot of options there from Titan. Also, the older titans, from what I recall, and especially the full suspension models, were always quite a bit heavier like for like with similar specced alternatives. The cypher is an incredible bike, and if I was looking to buy new, would definitely be on the list. 

You are on the right path. 

Just ensure the size is right. That the shocks are air (easily adjustable if they weigh very  little) and have good brakes.

Oooh, a dropper will do wonders for her confidence. It changed riding for my wife. 

My wife now rides a lovely XT equipped Anthem with a 120mm Reba and a dropper post. 

Oh and please send her for technical skills training. W2W isn't very technical, but being confident on Oak Valley's bridges and the switchbacks everywhere will make or break it for her. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

I ended up getting a really nice Spark 950 for the the missus, but unfortunately the courier company is a tad slow - we were hoping to go for a ride today already, but they promise me the bike will be here on Monday - serious fomo on this end.

Was bought off a huge JHB based used bike dealer - and their service was amazing, I just wish they used a better/more reliable courier like timefrieght or courier Guy.