Wahoo Kickr Core - No speed or power pickup

slickjay007

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

Question to those that have had problems, vs those without problems.

Do you switch your trainer off when not in use?
Are you using the 2-pin plug that comes with the unit?

I switch mine off, and I am using a 3-pin plug. I’m also running the house off an inverter, so I don’t get surges in electricity like before the inverter.

Same. Sometimes forget to unplug the unit though but my inverter + surge protector plug helps to keep it safe. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Device Booster is no more.

Vitality Gear replaced it, and you only get 25% of the first R2000 off. It’s not on the list of devices on Vitality Gear.

Saw this on Sportsman's this morning. What does that Vitality emblem mean now?

image.png.9a0eedeab8b1a361f13f5bad1d9fa69e.png

31 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Same. Sometimes forget to unplug the unit though but my inverter + surge protector plug helps to keep it safe. 

Mine was always unplugged from the power supply when not in use.

4 minutes ago, slickjay007 said:

That says Vitality Sports Gear so you get 25% off the first 2000 ronds spend = 500 ronds discount

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I switch mine off, and I am using a 3-pin plug. I’m also running the house off an inverter, so I don’t get surges in electricity like before the inverter.

Had no issues on Win 7.  Since the upgrade to Win10 I have minor glitches with device connectivity.  But I know connectivity on Win10 is hap-hazard and changes with updates ....

The KikrCore is behaving well ....  noting it is used a few times in winter and less in summer.

As the plug to the power supply is a kettle plug I used old computer power cables ... DONT want a warrantee issue due to a cut cable.

The unit is switched off between uses, plug switched off.

My biggest issue is the Zwift updates catches me every so often .... so now I start the setup earlier and allow time for the update.

My unit now is also on a UPS supply ..... BUT .... these units differ wildly in how they function ..... the Victron passes the eskom supply directly through, so I am still exposed to potential ripples.  This method does not smooth the supply signal.  The UPS works perfectly to take over the power supply when eskom goes down.   Granted this is topic for a whole different thread again ....  But for those living in lightning areas, well worth reading up making informed choices.

Edited by ChrisF

2 hours ago, slickjay007 said:

Madmarc has already replied.

I know the Vitality Gear doesn’t apply, because I purchased my Kickr Core in February. Got it as follows:

1. 25% of R2000 (Normal SWH discount)
2. 15% Wahoo coupon code discount of the full amount (after the R500 was deducted).
3. Balance using Discovery Miles on Double Miles day, so R10k in miles for burning 60,000 miles.

I would suggest get an damage report IF it was due to a spike in the electricity try to claim it under your contents on your peronal policy. Surely you have some power surge cover there.....contact me if you are unsure.

10 hours ago, Help.Me. said:

I would suggest get an damage report IF it was due to a spike in the electricity try to claim it under your contents on your peronal policy. Surely you have some power surge cover there.....contact me if you are unsure.

Thanks. Will contct my broker but if i can remember there is a surge/ESD clause in my policy.

I'd actually like iKhambi to state their position here so that we get it from the horse's mouth. Perhaps they can state what is covered, what is not etc. Their IDTs are pricey pieces of kit and expecting users to view them as disposable and perishable is not ayoba

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

Trainer is off and unplugged when not in use.

3pin computer supply cable(I use the same one between treadmill and trainer) they are on a surge protector as well( we are currently direct eskom customers with 3phase line and we have a lot of power issues- (Solar has been ordered though to go 100% off grid next month)

I have run it off a generator a few times successfully as well.

Mine is an old Gen 1 kickr, as above, 0 issues except the odd connection issues.

A big one I picked up in other forums. What flooring do you have around the trainer- mine is on a mat, but it has always been wood or tiled floor under that. I read somewhere that static can hammer the esd as well, so they mentioned carpet floors and socks then static shock to the machine. Not sure if it is possible to blow the esd that way, but a few guys reckon that is a possibility.

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

A big one I picked up in other forums. What flooring do you have around the trainer- mine is on a mat, but it has always been wood or tiled floor under that. I read somewhere that static can hammer the esd as well, so they mentioned carpet floors and socks then static shock to the machine. Not sure if it is possible to blow the esd that way, but a few guys reckon that is a possibility.

I know static electricity and electronics are not best mates.

Mine is on a tiled floor, but might be better to get an anti-static mat.

So another day passes by and no closer to a solution. I requested a letter for my insurance which i got but the reason for damage was classified as "manufacturer fault". This fault is never going to be accepted by insurance if the unit is out of warranty. My broker laughed at me!

So i asked for the letter to be ammeded to ESD/surge fault as indicated by Wahoo from the online notifications and videos for what potentially could have been the fault on the unit (2018 models). Now i wait.

The frustration is slowly setting in...