Anyone doing/done the Lesotho Mega Enduro?

Adr!@n

Hi!

As the topic asks, is anyone here doing the Lesotho Mega Enduro? 

I'm basically relying on the brochure info to get ready. Has anyone here done the event? What to expect? And what the best way to get there and back is? I'm planning on flying with my bike and getting the shuttle to the event. 

Please please please give a report back. I've ridden dirt bikes in Lesotho and loved it, so I think this will be ama-zing!

3 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I was planning on doing it. Then I shattered my elbow a few months ago, and my fitness is now non existent. It was already fairly bad prior to my fall. 

I think @Thermophage did this one a couple of years back.

I did the first one in 2017 and HANDS DOWN the best event I have done. I wanted to do it again this year, but timing worked out ***.

As for costs...MUCH cheaper than say Kingdom (and IMO more fun vibe...I dont like races at the best of times).

Rohan also has an "add-on" option (I think it's still there) where they pick you up at King Shaka airport and provide an additional evening accoms (no food), as well as drive to venu and dropoff back at the airport..It was R1k last time for this and I suspect it'll be more but it was more than worth it.

Then it's just flight from CT, which was R2.5k last time.

The riding is amazing, you're in big alpine style mountains in the NE of Lesotho, mich higher up than Kingdom around Roma. We were up at ~3300 masl last time and it was amazing. All natural trails (think Megavalanche style). 4 stages a day, 2 timed and 2 mass start :D

The catering and accoms was great as well and accoms are apparently upgraded. Wayne did quite a few vids of the trails back in the early days of RRR too on Youtube if you wanna see stuff. But think 15min descents and 700 to 1050m descending per trail...Take brake pads with :D

1 hour ago, Thermophage said:

I did the first one in 2017 and HANDS DOWN the best event I have done. I wanted to do it again this year, but timing worked out ***.

As for costs...MUCH cheaper than say Kingdom (and IMO more fun vibe...I dont like races at the best of times).

Rohan also has an "add-on" option (I think it's still there) where they pick you up at King Shaka airport and provide an additional evening accoms (no food), as well as drive to venu and dropoff back at the airport..It was R1k last time for this and I suspect it'll be more but it was more than worth it.

Then it's just flight from CT, which was R2.5k last time.

The riding is amazing, you're in big alpine style mountains in the NE of Lesotho, mich higher up than Kingdom around Roma. We were up at ~3300 masl last time and it was amazing. All natural trails (think Megavalanche style). 4 stages a day, 2 timed and 2 mass start :D

The catering and accoms was great as well and accoms are apparently upgraded. Wayne did quite a few vids of the trails back in the early days of RRR too on Youtube if you wanna see stuff. But think 15min descents and 700 to 1050m descending per trail...Take brake pads with :D

Sounds legit, would probably like to road trip (drive) it though... 

Just now, Meezo said:

Sounds legit, would probably like to road trip (drive) it though... 

i mean you COULD, but jirre that's a LOOONG drive. You could go in via Fouriesburg side of Lesotho and drive across past Afriski and meet them in Mokhotlong though. That road is good and it would probably be faster than driving to Howick and up Sani Pass (which...you couldnt do wothout decent ground clearance). But still...bet on a 2 day drive each way. I suspect flygin would be cheaper noww too :P

3 hours ago, Thermophage said:

i mean you COULD, but jirre that's a LOOONG drive. You could go in via Fouriesburg side of Lesotho and drive across past Afriski and meet them in Mokhotlong though. That road is good and it would probably be faster than driving to Howick and up Sani Pass (which...you couldnt do wothout decent ground clearance). But still...bet on a 2 day drive each way. I suspect flygin would be cheaper noww too :P

A group trip in a caravelle or similar would be awesome. I would like to do this event, but not this year. Maybe next year, if I start buckling down for some serious training. Weekend day hikes and rides are not enough!!

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

A group trip in a caravelle or similar would be awesome. I would like to do this event, but not this year. Maybe next year, if I start buckling down for some serious training. Weekend day hikes and rides are not enough!!

Mega is a lot of shuttles too though hey. So not a sh1tload of heavy pedalling. It's more focused on having fun with your mates than making you *** for the sake of it. 

This sounds like heaven 

Are the trails and stages basically similar to the last stage of the Afriski enduro ?

Doable on A Hardtail ?

Just now, BaGearA said:

This sounds like heaven 

Are the trails and stages basically similar to the last stage of the Afriski enduro ?

Doable on A Hardtail ?

Dunno about Afriski but you can totally tmdo it on a HT. All natural trails. Nothing is built to "ride". That, to me, is what makes it so special. No single lines, alllll the lines. No gaps or drops unless you spy a line with one and go for it. Real freedom.

Sorry to lazy to google now but what are the costs ? ex transport 

Maybe next year for me 

3 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Sorry to lazy to google now but what are the costs ? ex transport 

Maybe next year for me 

Dunno off hand but here's a link in one of the first posts above for the brochure which usually has costs. I wanna say 8 or 9k without flights. For 4 days riding (3 "timed" last time ", sll food accommodation, shuttles and snacks. Only excluded drinks.