If Flückiger’s positive test is confirmed. Will Nino Schurter then have won 34 World Cups?

Mozzi

14 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

eeeeerrrr welll..... "ownership is could be a large donation to ensure the good work carries on (while looking the other way)

PinkBike comments section is lower than a cesspool. 

Beneficiaries are the Olympics groups and Vaud, which is state. All that is easy to look up.
So any donation is just that. It's a nonsensical comment on any level. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember lance also made a donation to the UCi

anyway enough devils advocate. The only “truth” will be the final report on the case. I’m looking forward to reading that.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:00 PM, esCape-ist said:

On the other hand, just imagine the b sample tests negative, and the initial test was a false positive. That would mean flueg missed out on the last half of his season, world champs, and all the potential prize money that goes with it…. Unlikely, but just imagine.

"all the potential prize money" ? Out of interest, what do you think a World Cup win is worth in terms of prize money? 

2 hours ago, Action_Man said:

"all the potential prize money" ? Out of interest, what do you think a World Cup win is worth in terms of prize money? 

Very quick google search will give you an idea. Official UCI prize money for World Cup podiums in 2018 (safe to assume it’s increased slightly), was 2333Eur for first place. Now that’s not a fortune, compared to road cycling or golf, but it’s still not bad as a bonus to your salary of around 500k Eur per year. But remember, not winning, or not racing and not being on the podium is about a lot more than just the prize money. There are major incentive bonuses from sponsors for these things. I would imagine under a suspension, all the sponsor endorsement incentives fall away….so it is obviously very damaging to his earning potential for this season, if it’s a false positive or abnormal result, which it more and more is seeming to be, based on what he tested positive for, and what the levels were. 

chances are most of us have higher levels of zeronal based on the amount of feedlot beef we consume in SA

31 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Very quick google search will give you an idea. Official UCI prize money for World Cup podiums in 2018 (safe to assume it’s increased slightly), was 2333Eur for first place. Now that’s not a fortune, compared to road cycling or golf, but it’s still not bad as a bonus to your salary of around 500k Eur per year. But remember, not winning, or not racing and not being on the podium is about a lot more than just the prize money. There are major incentive bonuses from sponsors for these things. I would imagine under a suspension, all the sponsor endorsement incentives fall away….so it is obviously very damaging to his earning potential for this season, if it’s a false positive or abnormal result, which it more and more is seeming to be, based on what he tested positive for, and what the levels were. 

chances are most of us have higher levels of zeronal based on the amount of feedlot beef we consume in SA

I haven't heard of Alan testing +tive for this stuff.....#semanet

Must say after reading this thread I'm doubting myself here!

I'm currently on the 'Registered Testing Pool' and I was under the assumption that should you test positive they cannot publicly out you. It needs to be a clean cut positive to publicly call you out on it. Obviously with a race like Worlds fast approaching this may change but in reality the tests - even in SA - are quick quick.

The way I understand the procedure to be is that IF you test positive for a minor amount they approach you in a private capacity and you have the option to appeal by requesting the B sample to be tested. Nobody else is allowed to know the results of your test until it's clean cut and in that case they put it onto the WADA website where your name is etched into history with what you doped with 🤷‍♂️

Should all this come out as being a false positive, I'd imagine he'd have some serious legs to stand on to sue whoever released his results! And then all the prize money stress is gone.. but either way there will always be a question mark next to his name.

But, now I may go read through that - what I thought was silly - flash drive they sent me to find out more details 😂

Edited by KennyZA

49 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

It's a good thing I don't rely on "Google" for my information ;)

Otherwise I too would believe that the top XCO riders are earning 500k Euro per year, let alone performance "endorsement incentives" that come close to boot. 

If only!

In a nutshell, yes, it's damaging to his bottom dollar, but more importantly, just damaging to the sport in general

1 hour ago, Action_Man said:

It's a good thing I don't rely on "Google" for my information ;)

Otherwise I too would believe that the top XCO riders are earning 500k Euro per year, let alone performance "endorsement incentives" that come close to boot. 

If only!

In a nutshell, yes, it's damaging to his bottom dollar, but more importantly, just damaging to the sport in general

Cool, since you obviously have more accurate data, why not let us know? Is it closer to 1mil, or closer to 100k?

All good and well calling me out on the inaccuracy of my Google search (which included verified prize pots for the WC races)

36 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Cool, since you obviously have more accurate data, why not let us know? Is it closer to 1mil, or closer to 100k?

All good and well calling me out on the inaccuracy of my Google search (which included verified prize pots for the WC races)

You're the one who thumb sucked the eur500k salary for MF, burden of proof is on your head.

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

I have no beef in this, but recalled this survey done by Pinkbike.

Did not read again, there were one xcc earning 500.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/how-much-do-professional-mountain-bikers-get-paid-pinkbikes-state-of-the-sport-survey.html?pbref=p

That was exactly where I got my results from. Considering we are referring to a top ranked rider in mens XC, who was in contention for the World Cup overall before his suspension, I think it’s fair to assume he is in the top 5% of earners, putting him close to the 500k figure.

24 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

That was exactly where I got my results from. Considering we are referring to a top ranked rider in mens XC, who was in contention for the World Cup overall before his suspension, I think it’s fair to assume he is in the top 5% of earners, putting him close to the 500k figure.

I think it's safe to assume that the you don't know what bike/team MF rides on.

Hint. It's not one of the big factory brands

19 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I think it's safe to assume that the you don't know what bike/team MF rides on.

Hint. It's not one of the big factory brands

I think it’s safe to assume that just because he rides for a boutique brand, does not imply that the team is underfunded and does not pay their top riders on par with other teams. 

Seems to be a pretty cutting edge company, and with all development and manufacture taking place in Switzerland, possibly one of the most expensive countries on earth to manufacture, I don’t think they are short on cash.

But I’m starting to figure out there are a handful of people on here that know everything about everything, and everyone else is automatically wrong. So I’m done for the day. Off to ride my bike instead.

Edited by esCape-ist

11 hours ago, KennyZA said:

Must say after reading this thread I'm doubting myself here!

I'm currently on the 'Registered Testing Pool' and I was under the assumption that should you test positive they cannot publicly out you. It needs to be a clean cut positive to publicly call you out on it. Obviously with a race like Worlds fast approaching this may change but in reality the tests - even in SA - are quick quick.

The way I understand the procedure to be is that IF you test positive for a minor amount they approach you in a private capacity and you have the option to appeal by requesting the B sample to be tested. Nobody else is allowed to know the results of your test until it's clean cut and in that case they put it onto the WADA website where your name is etched into history with what you doped with 🤷‍♂️

Should all this come out as being a false positive, I'd imagine he'd have some serious legs to stand on to sue whoever released his results! And then all the prize money stress is gone.. but either way there will always be a question mark next to his name.

But, now I may go read through that - what I thought was silly - flash drive they sent me to find out more details 😂

To my Knowledge, If they inform you of the Positive test, you are already Guilty. That's why they can make the results public and that's why you are able to appeal/contest the result or ask for your B-Sample.

If you do not contest, the result and suspension stands. When you contest, you are still guilty until proven innocent, so you may not take part in competition. There is no minor amount, all tests have rules for "in competition use or anytime", upper limits allowable and then outright "it should not be there"

This is also why results take a long time. They have you Blood or Pee sample, this get securely stored and sent to the queue of Samples, taken from 1000s of athletes from 100s of sports. The Governing body then specifies what tests need to be run on which samples. So each sample has 1 to many tests done. Each test takes time for paperwork, prep etc... Results aren't instant and can take multiple steps. Results are then compiled and sent for review. If something is out of place (according to limitations determined) it will be highlighted sent for another review. Only after everyone is happy that the results are true, it is marked as Positive and communicated to the Governing body, after which a sentence is communicated to the  Athlete, who can then appeal.

(This is to my understanding and can be wrong or out on some or all points.)