Munga Light and bag Recommendations

TyronLab

So, it seems I've once again gotten ridiculously lucky with an entry into the Munga Grit Cradle 17 days before the start gun fires. The universe loves and hates me equally it seems.

From my previous experience I'm looking for some help with the following two equipment needs I have:

1. Light. I ran out of battery on night #2 during the last one (and at the Transbaviaans this year) forcing me to ride with a poepie headlamp. It was not pleasant. I'm looking for a light that I can charge off of a normal USB powerbank while its operating. Doesn't need to be like the sun as a lot of the route is just gravel road. Seeing as I don't do stuff like this every day I'm not that keen on spending a few grand on Extreme Lights batteries that'll sit in the cupboard for 90% of their lives when I already have a 20,000 mAh powerbank I'll be carrying.

2. Bags. My previous Rockbros frame bag worked in the traditional Scout frame, but there's too little space in the triangle for it and two bottles in the STR. It also has a borked zip from the previous Grit. I generally ride with spares and food in jersey pockets and don't own a saddle bag, but seeing as I need to carry batteries, lots more food, and a jacket etc I need some storage. I was considering a handlebar bag, but the cycling specific ones I'm finding are rather spendy. DIY / Bodge / Hack recommendations welcome. Sending me a link to a R2500 Apidura bag will be wasting your and my time.

As far as navigation, I borrowed a buddy's Garmin 530 last time but I feel a bit sleg doing it again. Considering just using my phone for navigation. Cutting four holes in a square pattern in a rigid phone case and cable tying that to my stem is a method I've used with some success previously.

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

So, it seems I've once again gotten ridiculously lucky with an entry into the Munga Grit Cradle 17 days before the start gun fires. The universe loves and hates me equally it seems.

From my previous experience I'm looking for some help with the following two equipment needs I have:

1. Light. I ran out of battery on night #2 during the last one (and at the Transbaviaans this year) forcing me to ride with a poepie headlamp. It was not pleasant. I'm looking for a light that I can charge off of a normal USB powerbank while its operating. Doesn't need to be like the sun as a lot of the route is just gravel road. Seeing as I don't do stuff like this every day I'm not that keen on spending a few grand on Extreme Lights batteries that'll sit in the cupboard for 90% of their lives when I already have a 20,000 mAh powerbank I'll be carrying.

2. Bags. My previous Rockbros frame bag worked in the traditional Scout frame, but there's too little space in the triangle for it and two bottles in the STR. It also has a borked zip from the previous Grit. I generally ride with spares and food in jersey pockets and don't own a saddle bag, but seeing as I need to carry batteries, lots more food, and a jacket etc I need some storage. I was considering a handlebar bag, but the cycling specific ones I'm finding are rather spendy. DIY / Bodge / Hack recommendations welcome. Sending me a link to a R2500 Apidura bag will be wasting your and my time.

As far as navigation, I borrowed a buddy's Garmin 530 last time but I feel a bit sleg doing it again. Considering just using my phone for navigation. Cutting four holes in a square pattern in a rigid phone case and cable tying that to my stem is a method I've used with some success previously.

bikepacking.com are a really good source of info for this kind of thing - see their article on DIY bags here: https://bikepacking.com/plan/diy-handlebar-bags/. I would definitely go for something that allows you to take the bag off quickly and easily (like a roll with a cradle), as opposed to something like an Ortlieb bar bag, which is a bit of a hack in that way.

In terms of lights, I've been using the Fenix BC21R V2 (https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-bc21r-v2-bike-light) and it's been awesome but it's been discontinued. The new one looks really good and can run while charging (https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-bc21r-v3-rechargeable-bike-light

I have not done the Munga (or anything near that), but find small/med bar bag with a zip to be very useful for stashing stuff.
That might not be big enough for you, but perhaps something else on this website will jump out at you:

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/munga-handlebar-bag-by-quivertree-large-medium-available-on-pre-orders-now/

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/mango-time-handlebar-bag/

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/quivertree-handlebar-bag-ideal-for-munga/

https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/restrap-canister-bag/

3 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Have a look on Takealot. Pretty decent bikepacking bags for a fraction of the cost. Rockbros.

Be gentle with the clips and they will last.

Edited by Dusty

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I'd imagine that in the last half of a Munga type event, tired, sore, sleep deprived, that being gentle is the last thing that comes to mind.

9 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'd imagine that in the last half of a Munga type event, tired, sore, sleep deprived, that being gentle is the last thing that comes to mind.

Rumour has it that this is how it goes in prison too…

25 minutes ago, ouzo said:

They lasted a Freedom Challenge for us this year....

Edited by Dusty

6 hours ago, TyronLab said:

We have the Fluir Elite 1000lm front light - can charge (USB) while using and also features a long battery life from the built in 4800mah battery. Currently only available on Takealot (last few units) - new stock arriving late October. You will not be disappointed by this light.

https://www.takealot.com/fluir-elite-1000lm-front-bicycle-light-usb-c-rechargeable/PLID90364081

You get lights that can plug directly into a USB powerbank. Might not be the absolute best lights, but paired with a huge powerbank, you'll have endless light. My brother uses one and it's a pretty good solution. 

I bought a Ryder 900 lumen light that takes an 18650 battery. You can buy them for cheap and carry spare high-capacity 18650 batteries in your pocket. Also pretty bright and has a very respectable light pattern. 
https://www.cyclelab.com/product/4000794-light-ryder-concept-900

I haven't used either for an event like this, so can't confirm how amazing it it over a couple of days, but powerbanks and changeable batteries are great, IMO.

Also check out decathlon. They have some good bags etc and a very good price. They have a nice bag for an extra bottle that can also double up for food...

22 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Here is light option for you: https://www.takealot.com/knog-pwr-lighthead-600lm-black/PLID72873847

17 hours ago, RookieSports.co.za said:

We have the Fluir Elite 1000lm front light - can charge (USB) while using and also features a long battery life from the built in 4800mah battery. Currently only available on Takealot (last few units) - new stock arriving late October. You will not be disappointed by this light.

https://www.takealot.com/fluir-elite-1000lm-front-bicycle-light-usb-c-rechargeable/PLID90364081

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think this ⬆️ little oke could be the winner winner chicken dinner. 

19 hours ago, Dusty said:

Have a look on Takealot. Pretty decent bikepacking bags for a fraction of the cost. Rockbros.

I had a Rockbros framebag, and the zip got stuck and subsequently broke on night one. Had to use one of the straps to try and keep it closed as best I could. Reference below (excuse my grubby feet, but after 40 hours of wet/sandy socks I was very over shoes).

image.png.36763220f35bd09707f7d963e8c242fa.png

20 hours ago, Maknash said:

I havent done a munga but got a snack bag from wonky donkey the other day, they also have a handle bar bag might work for what you are looking for.

https://wonkydonkey.co.za/

It's a pity this dude is adventuring at the moment, if it wasn't for that I'd totes order one of them. They're pretty slick looking!

At the moment my packing strategy is looking like it'll be:

• Handlebar bag:
    • Powerbank.
    • Tools/spares.
    • Pump.
    • Bars.
  • Light/small backpack (that I got as a part of the goody bag in last year's Grit):
    • Jacket.
    • Arm warmers.
    • Medikit.
    • Spare headlamp batteries.

Idea is to keep the backpack as light as possible so that it doesn't annoy/chafe. Unfortunately with my frame's layout fitting a frame bag and two bottles in the triangle doesn't work. I can mount one of the bottles below the downtube or on the fork with my bottle mount adapter (pictured on the seatpost above), but I'll still need space for a third one or I'll need to buy a framebag that's big enough to take a 1.5L bladder (also still an option) and still be able to fit what I'm planning to put in the handlebar bag. 

Taking a chance here because I don't know what light you currently have and what battery it has in it, now what your skills or electronic confidence levels are...

You could always upgrade the battery it has by butchering it slightly (removing the internal Li-Ion battery and adding a larger external battery)

OR...

Invest in some of these that are recharged off a standard USB-C or USB Micro port: https://www.loot.co.za/product/soshine-aa-2400mah-usb-rechargeable-batteries-with-usb/swhb-7559-g920?referrer=googlemerchant&gclid=Cj0KCQjw94WZBhDtARIsAKxWG-8vaZgAIejTmAoS_XrSPGC0nBxbVK8ONMVpRUH8UzQctR0RL-GRRGUaAoUmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope this helps...

22 hours ago, TyronLab said:
On 9/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, RookieSports.co.za said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think this ⬆️ little oke could be the winner winner chicken dinner. 

I’ve used this light for several single-night adventures for almost two years now and it suits my needs perfectly.  I use the lowest light setting and haven’t tried charging on the go yet.  It has scrapes from a descent tumble onto rocks and still works perfectly well.  Recharge cable is about 40cm.

Edited by justinafrika

There are also really lekker small bar bags called Mango bags. Also made in the cape, I used them for EA just to simplify life. I had 2 extremelights batteries in there and then during daylight hours I popped the light in there as well to keep it a bit more protected. Easy way to keep bars a little less cluttered esp if you trying to mount a few batteries.