[Event] PPA One Tonner

Pedal Power Association

I haven't done a PPA race in years, so am clearly out of touch.

Do teams have cars that follow the batches at every race ?
Do individuals have cars that follow them at the races too?

All I can think of is the chaos of team cars at the DC and why the stopped them driving the route.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, splat said:

All I can think of is the chaos of team cars at the DC and why the stopped them driving the route.

some teams do, but they are getting scarce. Individuals I doubt as you normaly need a specific licence to drive a support vehicule. Most of the time we arrange soigneurs on the road side.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

some teams do, but they are getting scarce. Individuals I doubt as you normaly need a specific licence to drive a support vehicule. Most of the time we arrange soigneurs on the road side.

Please tell more about the "special license"

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

CSA Commissaires will issue limited service vehicles stickers to racing teams on the 170 km and 109 km routes to their discretion. Team managers must have valid support vehicle licenses that will be checked upon receiving service vehicle stickers on race day. No other unofficial vehicles will be allowed on route, riders will be disqualified.

all I know, I'll let you do your own research if you want/need to know more

3 hours ago, splat said:

It's only about 5 cars or something and it's only racing teams with licenses issued by CSA. It's been like this forever, not something new.

Edited by bleedToWin

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Anyone can get the license.

You get notes to study with all the rules and write an exam. If you pass you get your license. You need at least a Level C managers license. You must renew it every year.

They had the course sometime last week in Cape Town, a month ago in Oudtshoorn.

Edited by Thornman

7 hours ago, Thornman said:

Anyone can get the license.

You get notes to study with all the rules and write an exam. If you pass you get your license. You need at least a Level C managers license. You must renew it every year.

They had the course sometime last week in Cape Town, a month ago in Oudtshoorn.

Thank you.

So a lot more to it than just getting a sticker for your team car ....

After seing a commissaires car driving into the bunch causing a bad bad crash, I can tell you that's the minimum, you don't want anyone to be allowed to drive close to the bunch without any form of training

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

After seing a commissaires car driving into the bunch causing a bad bad crash, I can tell you that's the minimum, you don't want anyone to be allowed to drive close to the bunch without any form of training

That was not the Comms fault. The riders were on the wrong side of the road. If he did not do that, the on comming car would have killed all the guys on the wrong side of the road. 

55 minutes ago, Thornman said:

That was not the Comms fault. The riders were on the wrong side of the road. If he did not do that, the on comming car would have killed all the guys on the wrong side of the road. 

Nonsense,

he tried to park his car in the peleton to allow oncoming trafic, doing so he slowed down and one of the guys behind him hit the rear left of his car and hit the deck. The guy wasn’t on the wrong side of the road when he collided with the car, and even if he was before the car performed it’s stunt, if there was enough room for the car there was enough for the cyclists, you can’t say for sure they would’ve died so you can’t justify causing a 40+kph crash based on that.

Not excusing riders behaviour riding other side of the road at all, I hate to see it but I can say I’ve seen way worse in races and it’s the only time that I saw the car forcing it’s way into the bunch like that

What is supposed to happen and what actually happens are two different things.Yes there are teams who sometimes have cars following (legally with a manager in the vehicle) but I’ve seen on numerous occasions individuals who have cars following (usually mom or dad).It’s usually individuals that have athlete or cyclists on their social media profiles 🤦🏻‍♂️.Men and women races and sometimes even in groups like C bunch.On more than one occasion causing chaos in the bunch as mom or dad try to pass bottles or cold towels to so called riders.You got to understand people,sometimes winning that C bunch sprint is serious business.

Awesome day out for our DC team. We planned to fall back to D, but ended up starting in E after a bit too relaxed commute from the parking 😄.

Turned out to be a good thing, since we could ride our own race as a team pretty much the whole way. Even when we caught a few riders or groups, the riders were super courteous to not interfere with our paceline...to everyone that allowed the Yellow CMC/Chalk-Air team to ride our own race, we really appreciate it!

Glad this one is back on the calendar. With this plus Boland 100Miler we now are 100% covered for DC prep 👌

12 minutes ago, Jacques Joubert WC said:

Awesome day out for our DC team. We planned to fall back to D, but ended up starting in E after a bit too relaxed commute from the parking 😄.

Turned out to be a good thing, since we could ride our own race as a team pretty much the whole way. Even when we caught a few riders or groups, the riders were super courteous to not interfere with our paceline...to everyone that allowed the Yellow CMC/Chalk-Air team to ride our own race, we really appreciate it!

Glad this one is back on the calendar. With this plus Boland 100Miler we now are 100% covered for DC prep 👌

You guys were flying!

Sat with you guys for a bit but then dropped off.

All the best with your DC effort, I'm sure you'll do well