Is my chain too tight ?

Dean111

Hi guys

I recently had to get my chain resized but i am not sure what the original size was. I did watch a few youtubes but am still not certain if my chain is the right size.

So im posting pictures for you guys to please help me with ?

Does this look right or should i add a link or 2 ?

iMarkup_20220930_105252.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105310.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105322.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105332.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105353.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105402.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105424.jpg

31 minutes ago, Dean111 said:

Hi guys

I recently had to get my chain resized but i am not sure what the original size was. I did watch a few youtubes but am still not certain if my chain is the right size.

So im posting pictures for you guys to please help me with ?

Does this look right or should i add a link or 2 ?

iMarkup_20220930_105252.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105310.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105322.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105332.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105353.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105402.jpg

iMarkup_20220930_105424.jpg

Yep, way too tight. Your shock isn’t even bottomed out yet. 

I would fix it by lengthening it with quick links and the few links that were cut off. Or buy a new chain and see if it skips. 

Edited by M L

Hi, let me give you my 10c worth, and I'm sure there will be some guys on the forum that will disagree...

The chain length does appear to be correct, you have a long derailleur cage on the bike and this is correct for a 3 blade chainring and therefore can absorb major changes in chain tension, that said you are showing the chain placed on the extremes, for example big chainring and biggest cassette blade and smallest chainring - smallest cassette blade, etc. thus causing the dreaded cross-chaining.

So stay away from the extremes and you will be just fine.

1 minute ago, BruceNotTheBoss said:

Hi, let me give you my 10c worth, and I'm sure there will be some guys on the forum that will disagree...

The chain length does appear to be correct, you have a long derailleur cage on the bike and this is correct for a 3 blade chainring and therefore can absorb major changes in chain tension, that said you are showing the chain placed on the extremes, for example big chainring and biggest cassette blade and smallest chainring - smallest cassette blade, etc. thus causing the dreaded cross-chaining.

This is correct imo. 

2 minutes ago, BruceNotTheBoss said:

... ok i hear what you say. The tests i was told to do is that you have to put it on the extremes and make sure there is some play still, no tight chain. Now i can say with the deraileur stretched out as it is in the picture there is actually still some play left.

However it just looks to me like the deraileur is too stretched out even in this extreme position, does anyone agree. Like mentioned there is still some play

Ok bit confused now.. as 2 people now saying it seems correct.

Let me ask this, will it hurt to add 2 more linkages or is it better the way it is right now ?

Maybe the other bikes i have are tensioned wrong but i feel that when i put the chain on the smallest chainring and biggest sprocket the deraileur cage seems to be more "naturally" S shaped ie less tensioned it looks more right to me on the other bikes but am i wrong ?

Edited by Dean111

Ok tough one the bike mechanic has time to work on it in 20 min i have to take it in now he wants me to tell him if i want it lenghtened so i must make a call do it or leave it ?

Edited by Dean111

adding a link won't damage anything..

it is too long if the chain touches the RD on the return leg when in the smallest sprockets - i.e. picture #4 above

Edited by 100Tours

If it was my bike, I would start with checking how much movement there is to get the B Stop adjusted to the correct spacing, secondly when at the chains "slackest" (Smaal to small) the chain should clear the front pully wheel with around 5mm, if you cannot get that then add your links

O also feel  clearance of chain on pulley when on small/small should be little thanks guys going to work these comments in at the shop :)

@Dean111- chain is too tight that chain probably sits at around 110 links. For a 3x you'll most probably need around 116 - 118 links. 

Do not use links from an old chain to lengthen this one, it will cause issues down the line. I tried a test like that once: I used a brand new SRAM chain and added two links from a chain with around 500km on it. Within the first ride the chain broke on the links I added :oops:. Maybe I did something wrong, one will never know. 

My suggestion: Get a new chain, I recently saw this which is good value for money: 
https://www.takealot.com/taya-chain-deca-101-10spd-silver-black/PLID72799084 

If you have a gap today and or fancy a drive I can help to get this sorted. I also have new chains with me

7 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

@Dean111- chain is too tight that chain probably sits at around 110 links. For a 3x you'll most probably need around 116 - 118 links. 

Do not use links from an old chain to lengthen this one, it will cause issues down the line. I tried a test like that once: I used a brand new SRAM chain and added two links from a chain with around 500km on it. Within the first ride the chain broke on the links I added :oops:. Maybe I did something wrong, one will never know. 

My suggestion: Get a new chain, I recently saw this which is good value for money: 
https://www.takealot.com/taya-chain-deca-101-10spd-silver-black/PLID72799084 

If you have a gap today and or fancy a drive I can help to get this sorted. I also have new chains with me

Dang dude, you are like a legend around here. Every 5th thread I read someone is looking for help and someone else will be like, "Robert can help with that", and sure as hell you always do.

You are indeed an asset to this community, thank you.

3 minutes ago, kk6gan said:

Dang dude, you are like a legend around here. Every 5th thread I read someone is looking for help and someone else will be like, "Robert can help with that", and sure as hell you always do.

You are indeed an asset to this community, thank you.

That is very kind thank you. I try to help where I can - we're a community and I want people to enjoy the sport without having too many issues with tech not working 😄