Another first bike question - how do we feel about Silverback?

EttVenter

I bought a Silverback Stratos AL3 at the beginning of 2021. Love the bike. Silverback support in SA is really very good. I've had a few issues that were quickly resolved by them without it costing me a cent, even when it possibly should have. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What size are you ?

Their XL bikes crack at the seat tube .... :eek:

Second replacement frame took about 3 months ....

Frankly, I will rather buy a TITAN  (yes, I said it :P)

I concur 

11 minutes ago, WKNDWRRR said:

I bought a Silverback Stratos AL3 at the beginning of 2021. Love the bike. Silverback support in SA is really very good. I've had a few issues that were quickly resolved by them without it costing me a cent, even when it possibly should have. 

Them would be Cycle Lab?

16 minutes ago, GHOST FACE said:

Giant has some great offerings right now. You should look into those too.

On the dual sus side yes some great offering's but whats up with the HT they are just not popular and selling it secondhand not easy. 

People get upset here when you suggest Titan, but you can get a decent spec BRAND NEW Titan Rogue Dash Hard Tail for that money with SRAM Level Brakes and a Rock Shox fork with remote lockout. Titan participates and replies to PMs about any questions you may have and their 5 year Multi User warranty is a huge bonus.

Second hand bikes are a Russian roulette of Bicycles and unless the price is really good it's not worth it, especially for someone inexperienced in buying used bikes (like me who got ripped by Cash Converters) you'll likely end up buying someone else's junk/problems while they cruise around on a new bike for the money you'll spend fixing their old one.

If you're starting out, Hard Tail is the way to go, I speak from experience. You'll get the hang of riding and control and gain an extra appreciation for the plush ride of a Dual when you upgrade, if at all. Also Hard Tails rock and are a ton of fun.. they also make use of the best Rear Suspension know to man... Your legs.

As for finance, I wouldn't have my Bakkie or Houses if it weren't for having financed them, 2 wheels on a path are better than a few hundy extra in the bank every month. Go ahead and finance it, but make sure you can afford the payments and will actually ride because you won't be able to even break even if you sell it, interest and it's amortization sucks.

🤘✌️ Sorry to those that get upset when a Titan is suggested for new riders. Disclaimer: I don't get anything from them for recommending Titan, but I do have one and love it.

Couldn't afford a new dual sus or even anything over 20k.managed to pick up a 2015 Merida dual sus with top components for 12k. A little tlc and it's now my best mate

We have only 8 bikes in the family (of two)😎, four of them Silverback. There was a time when it was a great South African brand, bang for buck with unexpected great components at that price point. Hopefully they will regain that ability again. 

Must add that my best two wheeled friend is indeed my HT Silverback Spectra. I'll take on everything with my steed. And as everyone else said, you learn the neccesary basic skills. When the time for your duallie comes, you will enjoy it so much more. 

Has anyone other than myself had a look at this OP's profile?

• He's been part of the Hub since 2014
  • Back in 2014 he wanted to buy his very first bike 
  • Now FF to 2022 and he has another: Another first bike question - how do we feel about Silverback?

I now have a couple of glaring questions: 

1. Has the OP purchased a bike back in 2014? 
  2. Is the OP just posting a question, replying once or twice and then disappears for a few years only to return to the forum to ask the same question with a slight twist, "Groundhog Day" much? (It is a movie for the younger readers 😄).

I really struggle to provide my opinion on a bike based on what I am seeing above 

Please ready your popcorn as it is Fri-yay after all :oops:

12 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Has anyone other than myself had a look at this OP's profile?

• He's been part of the Hub since 2014
  • Back in 2014 he wanted to buy his very first bike 
  • Now FF to 2022 and he has another: Another first bike question - how do we feel about Silverback?

I now have a couple of glaring questions: 

1. Has the OP purchased a bike back in 2014? 
  2. Is the OP just posting a question, replying once or twice and then disappears for a few years only to return to the forum to ask the same question with a slight twist, "Groundhog Day" much? (It is a movie for the younger readers 😄).

I really struggle to provide my opinion on a bike based on what I am seeing above 

Please ready your popcorn as it is Fri-yay after all :oops:

He Did  Cause a Sensation (Many Answered)