7 year break from MTB how to start again

Tokyo

I have not been on a bike in 7 almost 8 years.  Obviously, I'm a little older and while not unfit definingly not close to where I use to be.  Want to start riding again but how to start :) .  

First need to get an MTB I'm thinking of starting with a Ebike just so that I'm able to ride with clubs and keep up but have no experience with them they barely existed when I last went riding.  I would like people to share their unpopular opinions on this.  

The other option is to just get a bike I'm comfortable with and find a club that does beginner, intermediate and so forth rides I'm in Pretoria east :(.  If so, I will look at getting a M dual suspension 29er with a Corbon frame and min XT group set with at Fox shock front and back as this is the bike I had before and loved but also, I have no idea if this is still the correct bike for me to get.

I'm a little bit of an anti-social person I'm more comfortable with computers and the idea of joining strangers on a ride fills me with anxiety I have no more connection with the friends I rode with years ago, so this is also a difficult start I don't know where it is safe to ride alone and where not and how to join a group.

Edited by Foxy

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

I'm a little bit of an anti-social person I'm more comfortable with computers and the idea of joining strangers on a ride fills me with anxiety

How about Zwift... :ph34r: 

Search for the PEMBI (Pta East Mtb) group on Facebook. There are some group rides organised every weekend. They range in distance and difficulty. You can also visit Lynnwood Cyclery or Cyclelab on Lynnwood road, they also organise group rides.

I understand you are a Lone Ranger but I can guarantee you once you join up with these lekke people you won't look back.

image.png.7addec0b7a3be8fac48e79348212ba2c.png

3 hours ago, edgarblount said:

Search for the PEMBI (Pta East Mtb) group on Facebook. There are some group rides organised every weekend. They range in distance and difficulty. You can also visit Lynnwood Cyclery or Cyclelab on Lynnwood road, they also organise group rides.

I understand you are a Lone Ranger but I can guarantee you once you join up with these lekke people you won't look back.

image.png.7addec0b7a3be8fac48e79348212ba2c.png

Thank you 

6 minutes ago, Foxy said:

lol does it give the same feeling as going fast and hard on a single track.

Nope !  I got my IDT set up in the garage but hardly ever use it simply because I hate it, its not the same as being out there at all.

OP, just start trapping and figure the details out as you go.

Edited by TheoG

5 hours ago, Foxy said:

I have not been on a bike in 7 almost 8 years.  Obviously, I'm a little older and while not unfit definingly not close to where I use to be.  Want to start riding again but how to start :) .  

First need to get an MTB I'm thinking of starting with a Ebike just so that I'm able to ride with clubs and keep up but have no experience with them they barely existed when I last went riding.  I would like people to share their unpopular opinions on this.  

The other option is to just get a bike I'm comfortable with and find a club that does beginner, intermediate and so forth rides I'm in Pretoria east :(.  If so, I will look at getting a M dual suspension 29er with a Corbon frame and min XT group set with at Fox shock front and back as this is the bike I had before and loved but also, I have no idea if this is still the correct bike for me to get.

I'm a little bit of an anti-social person I'm more comfortable with computers and the idea of joining strangers on a ride fills me with anxiety I have no more connection with the friends I rode with years ago, so this is also a difficult start I don't know where it is safe to ride alone and where not and how to join a group.

Bru riding is the best thing to ever happen to me. I used to be very unfit and have almost no friends. I started riding and immediately found my 'group'. I am much stronger and happier now and I really enjoy interacting and shredding with like-minded folk.

Give it a try, it will change your life. Guaranteed.

10 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Bru riding is the best thing to ever happen to me. I used to be very unfit and have almost no friends. I started riding and immediately found my 'group'. I am much stronger and happier now and I really enjoy interacting and shredding with like-minded folk.

Give it a try, it will change your life. Guaranteed.

Lol for various reasons this doesn't work quite the same for me 😋 I will find a club to ride with more for safety reasons 🤗 I do allot of other activities like diving and hiking with groups. 

2 hours ago, Foxy said:

Lol for various reasons this doesn't work quite the same for me 😋 I will find a club to ride with more for safety reasons 🤗 I do allot of other activities like diving and hiking with groups. 

I was pretty young when I started riding, so I hadn't experienced a lot of things by that point and therefore, I wasn't exposed to as many things as I am now, which may have been why I didn't find something I enjoyed until that point.

99% of riders are cool people and I am sure you will get along well with them.

Also, unless the area where you plan to ride is really dangerous, never underestimate how much fun a solo ride can be, you can go at your own pace and do whatever you feel like. Also there is the added bonus of no waiting for others haha

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

I'm also based in the east and can put you in touch with some people whom you can ride with. I am on the other side of the spectrum, I very seldom ride outdoors. I basically only ride indoors. Hate is a strong word  for cycling but it is close. I have various reasons and it is sad I know :oops:. I will also be able to get you going with a bike as well 

31 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I'm also based in the east and can put you in touch with some people whom you can ride with. I am on the other side of the spectrum, I very seldom ride outdoors. I basically only ride indoors. Hate is a strong word  for cycling but it is close. I have various reasons and it is sad I know :oops:. I will also be able to get you going with a bike as well 

Thank you I'm definitely looking at buying second hand 😆.  As I don't really care about a few dings and scratches and looking to get something value for money. 

You are over analysing this. Just get on your bike and ride. 

You don't need an eBike to keep up. Give it a month or two and you will be where you were 8 years ago. 

14 minutes ago, Eugene said:

You are over analysing this. Just get on your bike and ride. 

You don't need an eBike to keep up. Give it a month or two and you will be where you were 8 years ago. 

I have basically decided just to get the Bike and hope for the best :) the price of eBikes really assisted in the decision hopefully I will have a bike by the weekend 

11 hours ago, Foxy said:

I have basically decided just to get the Bike and hope for the best :) the price of eBikes really assisted in the decision hopefully I will have a bike by the weekend 

Do you already have a bike in mind or are you still shopping around? Budget depending I can assist in getting you a bike before the weekend 😁. Good luck 

45 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Do you already have a bike in mind or are you still shopping around? Budget depending I can assist in getting you a bike before the weekend 😁. Good luck 

Lol I'm down the rabbit hole a bit.  I'm some ware between as Scot spark and a Specialized epic expert :)