Thule Bike Rack and dust

Andretn

I use to carry our bikes on a VW Amarok on the back with Thule bars and uprights. We recently changed to a V6 Amarok with a canopy and invested in a 3 bike Thule rack. The problem is dust! Do those bikes get seriously dirty driving on a dirt road! Can one get a bag to put over the bikes when going offroad?

4 minutes ago, Andretn said:

I use to carry our bikes on a VW Amarok on the back with Thule bars and uprights. We recently changed to a V6 Amarok with a canopy and invested in a 3 bike Thule rack. The problem is dust! Do those bikes get seriously dirty driving on a dirt road! Can one get a bag to put over the bikes when going offroad?

You could maybe try a velo sock. 

7 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Looks like a giant airbrake. Wont that add a ton of drag?

My thoughts too. I was looking for somthing for the bike's on my roof racks wen i went to Cape Town and wind was somthing i was worried about.

44 minutes ago, Barry said:

My thoughts too. I was looking for somthing for the bike's on my roof racks wen i went to Cape Town and wind was somthing i was worried about.

Yeah… it’s a no from me. 

13 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Looks like a giant airbrake. Wont that add a ton of drag?

Well if it is on a bike rack behind the car it is literally in the car's slip stream, so it will add little drag. On the roof it will only be an issue with cross winds.

But honestly, it is a bicycle, it will get dusty. If you driving dirt roads then it is also likely a mtb which means it will get even more dusty anyway. Pop a cloth in you car, when you get there, wipe the fork stanchions, wipe the seat and the grips and go ride. For the drive home- wipe the frane where the clamp will go and wash it when you get home anyway. I really see no issue.

For muddy days it might be worth extending your rear mud guards or raising the bike rack slightly with a tow hitch adaptor, but that is also overkill. The mud usually reaches the tyres on the bike only.

And this is coming from someone living on a dairy farm. It is 10km dirt road to the nearest tar road so every time the bikes are transported we have dirt. Worse than that there is enough mud in our driveway that during summer you need more than 4 hands and feet to count the number of bakkies that get pulled out the mud.

Agree. A mountain bike is going to get dusty as soon as you start your ride anyways. A cloth and a spray bottle with water is more than what you need to wipe the dust off your bike when you get to your destination. 

53 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Well if it is on a bike rack behind the car it is literally in the car's slip stream

wrong actually, a bicycle creates a fair amount of drag mounted behind a car, and if any part of the bike protrudes even slightly past the cars edges (sides, top, bottom) then that drag goes up exponentially.

13 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

wrong actually, a bicycle creates a fair amount of drag mounted behind a car, and if any part of the bike protrudes even slightly past the cars edges (sides, top, bottom) then that drag goes up exponentially.

Yup. Makes at least a 1.5 to 2l/100km difference to my fuel consumption. I drive Kia Sportage which is quite high in the back and the wheels don't protrude too much on the side either. 

I definitely notice it. 

This cover will definitely add more drag and put more pressure on the bikes and tow bar. I'm sure they tested it but...

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Yup. Makes at least a 1.5 to 2l/100km difference to my fuel consumption. I drive Kia Sportage which is quite high in the back and the wheels don't protrude too much on the side either. 

I definitely notice it. 

This cover will definitely add more drag and put more pressure on the bikes and tow bar. I'm sure they tested it but...

and its worse with a sedan.

When I do longer trips, and if space is available, I take the wheels off the bikes as they protrude past the sides of the car. Makes a massive difference to fuel consumption.

I drove behind a car on sunday with one of those on. The sock certainly puffs up quite a bit. As far as how much drag it has, I wouldnt know. However it would be interesting to know by how much the fuel consumption is changed. Nevermind, I see it above probably posted at the same time

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Just now, The Ouzo said:

and its worse with a sedan.

When I do longer trips, and if space is available, I take the wheels off the bikes as they protrude past the sides of the car. Makes a massive difference to fuel consumption.

Can't unfortunately on a platform rack. 

We now use the lady's car that is lighter on fuel. 

It hurt driving down to Knysna from JHB at 8.8l/100km

17 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

we not talking about a slippery aerodynamic car here. We are talking about a bakkie with a canopy which is about as aerodynamic as a brick. I agree behind a sedan it will make a huge impact, but not an Amarok with a canopy

1 minute ago, dave303e said:

we not talking about a slippery aerodynamic car here. We are talking about a bakkie with a canopy which is about as aerodynamic as a brick. I agree behind a sedan it will make a huge impact, but not an Amarok with a canopy

ahh yes I forgot about the part where he is driving a barn door.

But I would imagine a modern MTB would still stick out past the sides, even on a tractor like the Amarok.

I also would not trust the buffeting of a cover like that against my bike.