[Event] Paarl Enduro

ChristiaanSt

5 minutes ago, droo said:

Yeah, and I can see you riding from Muizies to Paarl, smashing the HT category, then riding home.

Although with dad duty that'll be a bit more challenging. Also you may need to put gears on.

ha! Gears! Pffft.....

Cool, if it's 07:00 or 07:30 as above I'm in

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I see there is now a big shuttle day hosted by Hell Send on the 3rd at Plaisir.... I've never been there before so debating the shuttle day and then just going blind into the enduro on the 10th 👀

There should be no discussions needed about this. Plaisir is probably the most fun to be had on a mountain bike.

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm jaaaaa ..... @Warren Melissa Go Riding  cameras tend to smooth out the trail ..... aaaaand it levels out the decents ..... :P

those paarl trails are as flat as they come in the trail riding department😅. When you stand at paarl spez and you see the taal monument just there up the koppie it all seems easier.
Unlike Jonkers where halfway up Irish you soon realise the towering mountains surrounding you are not just part of the distant scenery haha.

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

those paarl trails are as flat as they come in the trail riding department😅. When you stand at paarl spez and you see the taal monument just there up the koppie it all seems easier.
Unlike Jonkers where halfway up Irish you soon realise the towering mountains surrounding you are not just part of the distant scenery haha.

My first Jonkers ride was a clincher ....

On 11/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

I reckon you'd easily be able to do this event on a hardtail. The trails are smooth and there is not much in the way of technical obstacles. I will admit that the only unknown at present is the DH line, but it doesn't strike me as especially hard judging from the W&M vid.

Have done the DH blind on a 140mm hardtail, with XC tyres, defo doable, but much much slower than you’d be able to do on a enduro/DH bike.

More than doable though, nothing super crazy and all the really tech stuff u could go around.

Just now, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm prolly going to miff a few folks out now, but after Jonkers, I hesitate to refer to Paarl as "Enduro"

I know you're joking, but the format translates across all types of trails really well.

I mean, compared to Ezels, Hogsback or Kingdom Enduro, Jonkers is pretty basic.

The fastest riders come out on top, technique and successful risk taking just get tested differently.

Having some Enduro's at easier trails is what will ultimately keep the format going. It will allow the fence sitters to see past the 25 IG GNAR shredders talking about how Gnar enduro is and allow them to realise that it isn't and no one cares how slowly you ride/walk the trails.

The scene needs fresh blood and it needs a shake up. It died, no one wanted to run it and the shrinking attendances were worrying.

Getting new people amped on the format will be fantastic for those who enjoy a good mid table mash up with their mates.

Comparing ticker tape timing printouts in the parking lot while the same 5 people clean up prize giving over and over is what it's really about

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I know you're joking, but the format translates across all types of trails really well.

I mean, compared to Ezels, Hogsback or Kingdom Enduro, Jonkers is pretty basic.

The fastest riders come out on top, technique and successful risk taking just get tested differently.

Having some Enduro's at easier trails is what will ultimately keep the format going. It will allow the fence sitters to see past the 25 IG GNAR shredders talking about how Gnar enduro is and allow them to realise that it isn't and no one cares how slowly you ride/walk the trails.

The scene needs fresh blood and it needs a shake up. It died, no one wanted to run it and the shrinking attendances were worrying.

Getting new people amped on the format will be fantastic for those who enjoy a good mid table mash up with their mates.

Comparing ticker tape timing printouts in the parking lot while the same 5 people clean up prize giving over and over is what it's really about

Shabbos Wookie for president!

17 minutes ago, droo said:

Shabbos Wookie for president!

hey where's that video about setting up your suspension we were promised in the W&M video😄

us plebs like/want/need this kind of help/insight😊 

Edited by MORNE

On 11/23/2022 at 3:53 PM, Warren Melissa Go Riding said:

Awesome. Lets get some peeps together and lets do this! Do you guys mind me opening this up to others?

Quite keen to join also.

Never done an Enduro before, and never ridden any of the trails there. Only been up Taals on a road bike.

@Warren Melissa Go Ridingim asking you since I assume you might know and spez paarl is more difficult to get hold pf than home affairs (literally). If anybody else has the answer please help.

How does the gate setup work at spez paarl if you do an online pass purchase?? The gate there at the bottom by the wood bridge on the way to skillie/advocate? We couldnt figure out how to get through the gates until some hikers told us to ring the button and wave your armband at the overhead camera?
It worked, but what if you snapscan’d or paid online and don't have an armband? Are we missing something?  We want to be there by 7am bit obviously spez only opens at 8.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

There should be no discussions needed about this. Plaisir is probably the most fun to be had on a mountain bike.

Better than Banhoek??

43 minutes ago, MORNE said:

@Warren Melissa Go Ridingim asking you since I assume you might know and spez paarl is more difficult to get hold pf than home affairs (literally). If anybody else has the answer please help.

How does the gate setup work at spez paarl if you do an online pass purchase?? The gate there at the bottom by the wood bridge on the way to skillie/advocate? We couldnt figure out how to get through the gates until some hikers told us to ring the button and wave your armband at the overhead camera?
It worked, but what if you snapscan’d or paid online and don't have an armband? Are we missing something?  We want to be there by 7am bit obviously spez only opens at 8.

If you coming from either side, just ring the bell, we have never had to show anything. If you do get stopped by a marshal you can just show your phone.

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

hey where's that video about setting up your suspension we were promised in the W&M video😄

us plebs like/want/need this kind of help/insight😊 

We filming it on Tuesday coming!! Bike check video went live today.

Bike Check Video

54 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I've had to show my membership board on a few occasions, mostly just let in though. You could always just tell them you paid online and show them your phone on the camera with pop.

You could always just ride the other sections first and leave spez for the end.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

13 minutes ago, Warren Melissa Go Riding said:

Better than Banhoek??

Banhoek more fun/km without question.

Plaisir probably better overall for the variety that the trails and flow trail offer. Just my 2c.