Gravel tyres width... advice?

Maniax

6 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Barberton XCM on a gravel bike might not be the best option.... but I assume you have ridden it before, full marathon?

the 77km.  the full is a bit hectic.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Barberton XCM on a gravel bike might not be the best option.... but I assume you have ridden it before, full marathon?

I did briefly consider getting a set op 650b rims with 50mm pirelli's to help.  But the organizers of the race said a gravel bike should make it through unscathed... 

53 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Is somthing like this an option ?

PANARACER GRAVEL KING SK 700C x 43C TYRE – BROWN SIDEWALL

At evobikes

I'm on the 50mm of these, great tyre, super rolling resistance on tar for a gravel tyre, great on moderate to heavy gravel, battles like any other gravel tyre when it gets rough and does well in light to moderate sand if running at about 2.5bar.

One note, and same for most Pana's, seating a new tyre (tubeless), is a MAJOR biiiaaatch....don't bother with Joe Blow or Tank Blast...just get a bucket of CO2 cartridges and blast away....

7 minutes ago, capediver said:

I'm on the 50mm of these, great tyre, super rolling resistance on tar for a gravel tyre, great on moderate to heavy gravel, battles like any other gravel tyre when it gets rough and does well in light to moderate sand if running at about 2.5bar.

One note, and same for most Pana's, seating a new tyre (tubeless), is a MAJOR biiiaaatch....don't bother with Joe Blow or Tank Blast...just get a bucket of CO2 cartridges and blast away....

can your frame handle 50's or are you running 650b rims?

yeah, I also do the bomb trick....  seated my pathfinders once with a floor pump.  not my most clever of ideas.

Cinturato's. they are the bomb. 45mm, either H or M depending on your riding style. 

SA gravel is tough on those other tyres.

2 hours ago, Maniax said:

can your frame handle 50's or are you running 650b rims?

yeah, I also do the bomb trick....  seated my pathfinders once with a floor pump.  not my most clever of ideas.

50's fit fine.....

Pardus Uragano 35.jpg

6 hours ago, capediver said:

I also run the 700C50 on my HT.

Screenshot_20221202-033240_Gallery.jpg.fccab7274c4d2b1ef0b2cbec0c2ba7f7.jpg

It is a LOT better on tar than MTB tyres.

It feels good on gravel, though I do minimal gravel.

I can not comment on its handling on sand.

After the 2023 Argus I CAN say that it has brilliant grip in the rain ... 😋

I run these tubeless.  One extra layer of rim tape and the tires seated easily 👍

7 hours ago, King_Crispy said:

Maxxis Rambler is your way to go.

Even my wife is confident with hers offroad

Ravager and Rambler are much of a muchness for my rides.

I also like my 700x50 Gravelking pana’s. Mine are proper worn in by now. But the more they wear down the better they roll 🤷‍♂️ They work better for me on the softer side offroad, luckily you can since they are 50c. Then just pump them way up for road rides. They feel great on roads and hardpack gravel stuff. Also super durable up to now.
They are useless in offroad-wet though. Wet baloons lol

6 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I also like my 700x50 Gravelking pana’s. Mine are proper worn in by now. But the more they wear down the better they roll 🤷‍♂️ They work better for me on the softer side offroad, luckily you can since they are 50c. Then just pump them way up for road rides. They feel great on roads and hardpack gravel stuff. Also super durable up to now.
They are useless in offroad-wet though. Wet baloons lol

its the same with my Pathfinders.  seriously fast in roads and hardstuff. even rocky roads are no problem.  but the slightest bit of sand or wet, they become as useless as an eskom worker in strike season.

so I guess its about what compromise is more important, fast rolling or grip.... getting that balance is tough just because the terrain varies constantly here.  And Im one of the idiots that think my gravel can do what a mtb hardtail can do, so I dont stick to just dirtroads.

11 hours ago, Maniax said:

I did look at them. The reviews showed the Pirelli the better option though .. might just be down to subjective choice as well.

The Panaracers are good tyres, but not great in mud. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of rolling resistance and tan walls, the Specialized Rhombus Pro are a pretty aggressive option

12 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I have the 40 mm Pirelli’s on my gravel bike.

I like the 40’s as they are great for a bit of everything.

They may not look it, but they are quite capable on the dirt.

How do they measure? 40mm as 40mm?

I want to go 50mm on the 650b's but that will be my limit to leave some mud clearance.

2 minutes ago, NicoR said:

I want to go 50mm on the 650b's but that will be my limit to leave some mud clearance.

From the reviews' measurements yes.  40mm (almost on the dot).  

It seems with a gravel bike (if its your only bike) , I'm gonna need three wheel sets....
1. For road with 700x28-30mm slicks
2. For "normal" gravel riding with 700x40-42mm 
3. and for the tough stuff - 650bx50's...

21 minutes ago, NicoR said:

I measured them with a vernier, and they measure 41 mm

Also my rims are a bit wider.

They looked wider to me than the 40mm Conti's I took off, and the vernier confirmed.

19 minutes ago, Maniax said:

From the reviews' measurements yes.  40mm (almost on the dot).  

It seems with a gravel bike (if its your only bike) , I'm gonna need three wheel sets....
1. For road with 700x28-30mm slicks
2. For "normal" gravel riding with 700x40-42mm 
3. and for the tough stuff - 650bx50's...

2 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I measured them with a vernier, and they measure 41 mm

Also my rims are a bit wider.

They looked wider to me than the 40mm Conti's I took off, and the vernier confirmed.

Thank you.

Max clearance for 650b on my frame is 50mm.

Think I will go 45mm as my rim width is a bit on the narrow side.