Bike for longer rides

Op1

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Gotto agree with RobertWhitehead,

"Lifetime Warranty" is also defined as the expected lifetime of the bike, not the rider. This "Lifetime" have generally been clipped by most brands at 5 years from the date of purchase. I know for a fact that Scott, Giant and Spez have this policy.

All smiles if the above have changed in recent times, or if I am wrong.

There's no freebee's any longer 😒

My Trek came with the warranty as stated below. I have also sent a message to the 2 Trek distributors that I know, asking about this. I will let you know what they answer.

Screenshot_20221221-102305_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20221221-114143_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Tandemuis

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mook said:

"Lifetime Warranty" is also defined as the expected lifetime of the bike, not the rider. This "Lifetime" have generally been clipped by most brands at 5 years from the date of purchase. I know for a fact that Scott, Giant and Spez have this policy.

Scott states the 5 year warranty on their website. Not lifetime.

Screenshot_20221221-104424_DuckDuckGo.jpg

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Specialized does have a lifetime warranty, however it only applies if you register your bike with them. Otherwise it is about 2 or 3 years warranty. You need to register your bike within 90 days after purchase.

Screenshot_20221221-105023_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20221221-105355_DuckDuckGo.jpg

1 hour ago, Tandemuis said:

Specialized does have a lifetime warranty, however it only applies if you register your bike with them. Otherwise it is about 2 or 3 years warranty. You need to register your bike within 90 days after purchase.

Screenshot_20221221-105023_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20221221-105355_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Hi Tandemuis,

I will not start a new debate, BUT I had a Spez Epic Comp 29 dual suss of which the rear triangle snapped. Having been the first owner, proof of payment, ZERO signs of abuse and, and and .....................  no replacement since the frame was older than 5 years.  Their "Lifetime Warranty" means less than the government's promises to stop fraud.

Very good mate of mine had the same happen to his Giant Anthem 29er - same reaction from Giant. 

I am not bad mouthing anybody - simply stating the nett result of the fine print.

Cheers guys. OP, hope you get your dream ride 😍

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hi Tandemuis,

I will not start a new debate, BUT I had a Spez Epic Comp 29 dual suss of which the rear triangle snapped. Having been the first owner, proof of payment, ZERO signs of abuse and, and and .....................  no replacement since the frame was older than 5 years.  Their "Lifetime Warranty" means less than the government's promises to stop fraud.

Very good mate of mine had the same happen to his Giant Anthem 29er - same reaction from Giant. 

I am not bad mouthing anybody - simply stating the nett result of the fine print.

Cheers guys. OP, hope you get your dream ride 😍

Did you register your bike with them? Because the lifetime warranty only applies if you register it with them.

This sucks big time. Surely in SA we can do something about this with our Consumer Protection thing? I mean, Specialized is not cheap....

Surely they must abide by the same "no hidden" and "clearly noted" and "easily understandable" stuff. 

Sorry that happened to you. From my side I have only had positive experiences with warranties. But they were not Specialized or Giant.

0000109727-warranty-intl-en.pdf

Edited by Tandemuis

2 hours ago, Tandemuis said:

Scott states the 5 year warranty on their website. Not lifetime.

Screenshot_20221221-104424_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Similarly, Giant also refers to a lifetime waranty for the first owner.... for the frame.

For the rest the waranty is only 24 months ....

Screenshot_20221221-133237_Chrome.jpg.d765ca5581f7a7e214226a6430a3386d.jpg

Comparing @Titan Racing Bikes vs Giant ....

The dealer was CLEAR that the onus is on ME to log onto the Titan website and register the bike ... no doubts, a smooth system.  They were even clear regarding what had to be done to transfer the waranty when we sold the bike.

With Giant the dealer said he will fill in the card ... I have no documents and no proof of the waranty .... heaven alone knows the process if I ever had to claim ....

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Similarly, Giant also refers to a lifetime waranty for the first owner.... for the frame.

For the rest the waranty is only 24 months ....

Screenshot_20221221-133237_Chrome.jpg.d765ca5581f7a7e214226a6430a3386d.jpg

Comparing @Titan Racing Bikes vs Giant ....

The dealer was CLEAR that the onus is on ME to log onto the Titan website and register the bike ... no doubts, a smooth system.  They were even clear regarding what had to be done to transfer the waranty when we sold the bike.

With Giant the dealer said he will fill in the card ... I have no documents and no proof of the waranty .... heaven alone knows the process if I ever had to claim ....

That registration thing is a major reason for a lot of companies turning down a warranty claim. I have heard it too many times. I always make sure and ask for proof and all that. 

The Merida is a great buy. They also offer lifetime warranty on the frame. Huge price tag but compared to other brands it seems ok. You will also have the peace of mind of owning a  new bike. I just completed a 1000k+ event on a 120_600 and I wish I could afford this carbon frame!

10 minutes ago, Wessel Nel said:

The Merida is a great buy. They also offer lifetime warranty on the frame. Huge price tag but compared to other brands it seems ok. You will also have the peace of mind of owning a  new bike. I just completed a 1000k+ event on a 120_600 and I wish I could afford this carbon frame!

1000k+ event. Bliksem. Well done! The Munga by any chance?

But.... you aren't even going to link us to your pics, youtube or blog?

Come on! Don't tease us like that. We also want to see! 

Pretty pleeeeeeeeaaaaasssseeee.

That must have been one epic journey. 

2 minutes ago, Wessel Nel said:

Munga indeed. Hell of an adventure. Munga Facebook full of pics, i had to look where I was going, no sightseeing!

Congratulations!

That is one hell of a race. A lot of people have tried but failed. 

You should give us a rundown on your bike setup and equipment and gear you took for the race. Lessons learned and so forth. It should make for an awesome read!

3 minutes ago, Wessel Nel said:

Thanks. Maybe I'll do a new post and allow this one to go its course.

Okay cool. I will be on the lookout for that post. Thanks for your willingness to share your experience.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, Tandemuis said:

Have a look at the Trek series called Top Fuel.

It won bike of the year a couple of years ago and is widely used by professional cyclists in the Cape Epic race, Tankwa races etc. 

It is exactly what you described as wanting. Cross Country bike, dual suspension but can take on rougher trail if you want. It is basically a "down country" bike.

Here is one in you price range:

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-7/p/35070/?colorCode=black

You can find a Pro riding most XC/Marathon bikes, I wouldn't use that as a reliable measure when looking at bikes. 

If the OP is looking for a bike for longer rides only being able to carry one bottle on the Top Fuel is a downside that should be mentioned. 

Most manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their frames Merida included. When considering entry-level 12-speed groupsets (Deore, SLX  vs SX, NX) I would choose Shimano every time.

3 hours ago, Op1 said:

Hey Guys

So I pulled the trigger on the Merida 96XT and slapped on some carbon rims as well - Im super happy and it does feel great now that it has been setup

Thank you all for the advice and the support whilst I was so indecisive

merida bike.jpg

Congrats on the new ride.

Wishing you many safe miles, she is a beaut! 

Edited by Mountain Goat