Best Tyre Combo - Noordhoek/Tokai/Silvermine

DDM Cape Town

57 minutes ago, Simon123 said:

Maxxis Assegai front and back in DD casing no smaller than 2,4.

Seems right for double black DH runs, but possibly overkill for someone who does the 'occasional Vasbyt less extreme Snake Trails'.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, Murrob said:

An absolute all scenarios covered set of tyres is the Vittoria Barzo on the front and Mezcal on the back. Depending on you inner dimension of your rim, and space on your frame and fork, the 2.35 are great. Alternatively, I am really enjoying the Pirelli’s at the moment, their XC Mixed on the front and the Hardpack on on the rear is a great combo. 

How does the Mezcal handle things? I can get one but I opted for a Tufo XC13 instead after my Tufo XC11 had a blowout with something sharp at Alberts Farm.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, DDM Cape Town said:

I have a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Bontrager XR3 on the back. The back is slipping out terribly. 

If you don't go the suggested Vittoria combo, perhaps look at a Bonty XR4 front and XR3 rear.

I found the Barzo and Mezcal a bit 'light' so went for a pair of 2.35" Agarro's. They feel a bit tougher.

14 minutes ago, splat said:

Seems right for double black DH runs, but possibly overkill for someone who does the 'occasional Vasbyt less extreme Snake Trails'.

Really?  😁

30 minutes ago, splat said:

Definitely not overkill for the route. At times I have felt that it’s not enough, especially when I have gone behind people with more grip on their tyres and I have observed how my tyres performed in comparison to theirs on the same line. 

35 minutes ago, splat said:

If you don't go the suggested Vittoria combo, perhaps look at a Bonty XR4 front and XR3 rear.

I found the Barzo and Mezcal a bit 'light' so went for a pair of 2.35" Agarro's. They feel a bit tougher.

or even xr4 both sides. Great tyres

1 hour ago, zoobear84 said:

How does the Mezcal handle things? I can get one but I opted for a Tufo XC13 instead after my Tufo XC11 had a blowout with something sharp at Alberts Farm.

I’ve found them to be good at most things and places from all gauteng bike parks to down in the cape, the mezcal just runs a bit more efficiently and both have held up well, not had a single puncture across different conditions and varied terrain, but I am religious about keeping my sealant topped up and fresh. At a stage they were also super bang for buck, less so now, but still great performing. The Barzo does grip more of course, but at the expense of some extra pedalling. I have heard of guys running mezcal front and rear with no issues. All my mates swear by the vittoria’s. 

1 hour ago, DDM Cape Town said:

Definitely not overkill for the route. At times I have felt that it’s not enough, especially when I have gone behind people with more grip on their tyres and I have observed how my tyres performed in comparison to theirs on the same line. 

Play with your tyre pressure until you find what works well. For different conditions and trails, I will adjust what I think is correct.

An absolute all scenarios covered set of tyres is the Vittoria Barzo on the front and Mezcal on the back. Depending on you inner dimension of your rim, and space on your frame and fork, the 2.35 are great. Alternatively, I am really enjoying the Pirelli’s at the moment, their XC Mixed on the front and the Hardpack on on the rear is a great combo. 

100% Vittoria tyres, absolutely the best wearing with great grip

4 hours ago, DDM Cape Town said:

Definite overkill on a XCO dual sus for the snake trails as mentioned. There is no harm in overkill if you have no concern for weight and rolling resistance on the tar and gravel. 

Performance down a trail can be 100 + other things let alone skill level. 

I've see a an oke (Luke Moir) on a XCO whip with tyres fit for a gravel bike (slightly dramatic) send it down the DH trails quicker than most shredders.  

I went with the Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal. Thanks for the advice! 

38 minutes ago, DDM Cape Town said:

I went with the Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal. Thanks for the advice! 

Let us know what you think of that combo.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, splat said:

Let us know what you think of that combo.

So… I have been on two rides and the combo is great. Tyres have good speed and traction. I am running the front at 1.5 bar and the back at 1.7 bar (I weigh 94kgs).  The only thing that I need to get used to is how the Barzo grips into pools of fine sand. The Schwalbe Nobby Nick used to glide through the sand pools but the Barzo digs in (so much so that I nearly came off the bike coming down Ou Wa Pad). Other than that the tyres are great for cross country. Thanks all for the advice! 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:21 PM, DDM Cape Town said:

So… I have been on two rides and the combo is great. Tyres have good speed and traction. I am running the front at 1.5 bar and the back at 1.7 bar (I weigh 94kgs).  The only thing that I need to get used to is how the Barzo grips into pools of fine sand. The Schwalbe Nobby Nick used to glide through the sand pools but the Barzo digs in (so much so that I nearly came off the bike coming down Ou Wa Pad). Other than that the tyres are great for cross country. Thanks all for the advice! 

I found that transferring just a bit more weight to the back (shifting slightly back in the saddle) helps the front wheel float through the sand so much easier.