SUPERMANTRI

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, betaboy said:

I expect a full race report.. and Belguim Beer reviews! 🤪

Race was great. Can't complain about the missing/stolen sign board that gave me an extra 5km. Rest of the route really well marked.

Road conditions variable, so perfect. Weather absolute peach.

BUT!

Don't promise us a Belgian beer experience and then make it Stella Artois! Technically correct, but feels like a bait and switch of note! No frites, no waffles!

Composing my stern letter to management at the town's microbrewery. With a Belgian style summer ale. it's not bad!

IMG_20230520_162156_7.jpg

what a lekker ride, and day out.

Gravel (bikes and races) get flak for being a trend, but today was an example of what a great leveller it is. people of all disciplines just went out to ride bikes, and thats what it should be all about. road vs mtb politics and arguments go out the window.

the route was great. normal overly polite at the start so i start way back, needed a 50min ITT to find a ground i could work with, and went like a stabbed rat until my chain snapped at 74km. I brought EVERYTHING but a quick link, and even with one given to me, it would not fit (wippermann chain compatibility, maybe?).

Having to just let go and freewheel through the water and mud crossings was extra exilarating.

So a 74km ride and 13km run/walk/balance bike ended up at 4 hours 9 minutes rather than just over 3.

a huge thank you to everyone that passed me, asked if i needed help, gave motivation or helped see the humour in it, and all the people who stopped and looked to see if they had links

Special shout outs to a fella named Zane who offered up his link and spent a good few mins with me holding my bike. you are a champ. and to the 3 top manne who would not leave me to suffer in the last km and pushed me up the streets and around the track.

bonus was seeing this glistening green thing on the ground near a farm, for it to be a sealed bottle of energy drink right when i was feeling flat with about 7km of hike-a-bike to go. silver linings and all that.

Edited by RossTopher

Race report as requested:

Positives:

An absolutely fantastic route. Gravel bike heaven I have to say even if I was not on a gravel bike. I did the 50 miler and the whole route was gravel bike friendly  not much corrugations at all tbh and there was nice stretches of really smooth hard pack gravel. 

The turnout for this event was crazy. 1000 entries for the very first event is fantastic so kudos to all involved.

Negatives:

I’m not exactly sure what happened but honestly to delay a start for 1h40m was so frustrating. They kept talking about waiting for an ambulance. Did they not know you need an ambulance for CSA event? And how were the 100 milers allowed to start? Maybe someone else can provide more clarity?

Other than that I have no complaints. I’m glad the route made up for that delay because my word there were angry people. I think this also translates into that fast start. Seems like everyone just needed to release that pent up frustration. I had a great race but I do think the delay messed with my nutrition. I should have eaten while waiting but also didn’t want to eat my food up and then suffer on the ride. 

Next year I will hopefully do the full 100 miler.

12 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Race report as requested:

Positives:

An absolutely fantastic route. Gravel bike heaven I have to say even if I was not on a gravel bike. I did the 50 miler and the whole route was gravel bike friendly  not much corrugations at all tbh and there was nice stretches of really smooth hard pack gravel. 

The turnout for this event was crazy. 1000 entries for the very first event is fantastic so kudos to all involved.

Negatives:

I’m not exactly sure what happened but honestly to delay a start for 1h40m was so frustrating. They kept talking about waiting for an ambulance. Did they not know you need an ambulance for CSA event? And how were the 100 milers allowed to start? Maybe someone else can provide more clarity?

Other than that I have no complaints. I’m glad the route made up for that delay because my word there were angry people. I think this also translates into that fast start. Seems like everyone just needed to release that pent up frustration. I had a great race but I do think the delay messed with my nutrition. I should have eaten while waiting but also didn’t want to eat my food up and then suffer on the ride. 

Next year I will hopefully do the full 100 miler.

I agree. The delay was a bit of a damper, especially for folks with the afternoon wedding plans. But, don't forget the announcers' words. "Apologies for the delay folks, but you will get a free entry for 2024")

I agree the route and weather was perfect. I used my gravel bike and I had the advantage over the mtb's toward the end of the race on the smoother surfaces.

On another note for the race organisers. The food stands were terrible. With such a lot of fine restaurants in Riebeek Kasteel, they should have the pick of the bunch. eS

Just a last rant. Ackowledge the different categories of riders (vets, masters and g/masters, etc.). No need for prizes. The 2nd lady on the 40km came in 17/122 and was 64 years old (young). It was her first race ever. 

Edited by B20

I did the 100 miler.

Positives. Great route. I stopped for the first time at the second water point which was great. Hot dog hit the spot and restored my flagging spirit  with the post 361 fatigue making itself felt big time. The kind lady told us she only uses Himalayan rock salt cos it's good for our health. It must be cos I rode away feeling good.  Gorgeous weather for a bike ride. 

Negatives. Being hit for 20 bucks to come into the ground and park. I understand a rural school wants to raise funds but please include it in the entry fee. It creates an impression of being fleeced and causes a bottle neck at the entrance to the parking.

Water point 3 was poor. A zealous hammer nutrition salesman (I already use all their products) and a row of polystyrene shot glasses filled with Heed  while the oke rambles on about it being all you need is not good enough on a 100 miler. I had my own food and the last 35km was pretty easy riding but more needed here. They also looked like they were going to run out of water soon.

Had a nice ride overall. Blew up at 45 trying to keep up with some people I recognise from road events and can usually match but felt the error of my ways after a couple.of hours before a second wind. 

I'll do the event again if it's 2 weeks after 361 instead of 1.

I did the 50(54 😆) miler.

The Route was really well thought out, albeit 87km in distance but provided .gpx was accurate.

I can see this event becoming super popular for its proximity to Cape Town, i.e no need for sleepovers like around the pot.

Prepping for the event, the thought about farm vehicles for planting season, Road corrugation etc had me second guessing actually riding, the 90min delay to the start almost sealed that decision, but what a ride it turned out to be, with fantastic weather too.

i will be back!

23 hours ago, RossTopher said:

what a lekker ride, and day out.

Gravel (bikes and races) get flak for being a trend, but today was an example of what a great leveller it is. people of all disciplines just went out to ride bikes, and thats what it should be all about. road vs mtb politics and arguments go out the window.

the route was great. normal overly polite at the start so i start way back, needed a 50min ITT to find a ground i could work with, and went like a stabbed rat until my chain snapped at 74km. I brought EVERYTHING but a quick link, and even with one given to me, it would not fit (wippermann chain compatibility, maybe?).

Having to just let go and freewheel through the water and mud crossings was extra exilarating.

So a 74km ride and 13km run/walk/balance bike ended up at 4 hours 9 minutes rather than just over 3.

a huge thank you to everyone that passed me, asked if i needed help, gave motivation or helped see the humour in it, and all the people who stopped and looked to see if they had links

Special shout outs to a fella named Zane who offered up his link and spent a good few mins with me holding my bike. you are a champ. and to the 3 top manne who would not leave me to suffer in the last km and pushed me up the streets and around the track.

bonus was seeing this glistening green thing on the ground near a farm, for it to be a sealed bottle of energy drink right when i was feeling flat with about 7km of hike-a-bike to go. silver linings and all that.

You were the person looking for a 10spd link???

23 minutes ago, no calves said:

You were the person looking for a 10spd link???

Yip. Did you also stop for a bit to look. If so, I am SO grateful for your efforts. I hope I didn't cost you too many minutes.

In the heat of the moment I didn't think things through. Zane offered me his, but when it didnt work first time, I gave it back. Then I had nothing, and all I needed to do was take out another piece of vrot chain. I tested a link at home last night and worked perfectly.

I always carry links and half the toolbox with me, but had lent this bike to a friend and taken stuff off it.

12 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

Yip. Did you also stop for a bit to look. If so, I am SO grateful for your efforts. I hope I didn't cost you too many minutes.

In the heat of the moment I didn't think things through. Zane offered me his, but when it didnt work first time, I gave it back. Then I had nothing, and all I needed to do was take out another piece of vrot chain. I tested a link at home last night and worked perfectly.

I always carry links and half the toolbox with me, but had lent this bike to a friend and taken stuff off it.

I must appologize for not stopping. I asked and you said 10 and i shouted i only have 12 and me and my brother went on. Got stomach cramps at about 30km mark and was shallow breathing all the way from there. It was a day id rather forget about and forcus on that free entry for next year..

4 minutes ago, no calves said:

I must appologize for not stopping. I asked and you said 10 and i shouted i only have 12 and me and my brother went on. Got stomach cramps at about 30km mark and was shallow breathing all the way from there. It was a day id rather forget about and forcus on that free entry for next year..

No stress at all and no need to apologise. Glad you managed to push through, that's a victory. I'm sure a lot of people got hit with the delayed start impacting nutrition.

I was blown away by how many people asked if I needed anything. I'm not going to lose sleep over the extra hour or so. Parts of me are hurting today that I didn't know existed, pushing is no joke. Respect to kids who spend all day on a balance bike 😂

See you there next year, I've already marked off my calendar.