40km Trail / Route Gauteng

Bundu Ric

Hi all, 

Where is the best place to ride a 40km trail / route?

This is for my wife who is a beginner so not technical but she also does not want to brave the streets and cars.

Thanks all.

6 minutes ago, Bundu Ric said:

Hi all, 

Where is the best place to ride a 40km trail / route?

This is for my wife who is a beginner so not technical but she also does not want to brave the streets and cars.

Thanks all.

If you're not too far the Cradle is good. Where it's too challenging you can take to the road. It's a circular route of 29km and around 430m of total ascent. Starting points comprise a few restaurants or coffee outlets. Alternately Northern Farms which has a variety of trails to suite the novice and the expert but they're only open on weekends.

We've been riding the Cradle on weekends and weekdays for >10 years and no crime.

Thanks all, all those suggestion are within driving distance so we do ride Northern Farm and Red Barn regularly, so was looking for something to do instead of 2 or 3 loops to make up the km's. 

It seems like Cradle is a good start for that. 

Just a stupid question, where is the start for Cradle or what do I search for on Waze to get to the correct starting / parking spot?

Taroko Trail Park (Modderfontein) is pretty centrally located, the longest loop currently is 33km give or take. But you can easily get extra distance in with a loop of the other sections and/or the service roads.

It’s not overly technical and pretty flat, so not much freewheeling.

On 1/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, love2fly said:

If you're not too far the Cradle is good. Where it's too challenging you can take to the road. It's a circular route of 29km and around 430m of total ascent. Starting points comprise a few restaurants or coffee outlets. Alternately Northern Farms which has a variety of trails to suite the novice and the expert but they're only open on weekends.

We've been riding the Cradle on weekends and weekdays for >10 years and no crime.

yep, agreed

14 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Hennops and Modderfontien

Takaro anyday 

4 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Taroko Trail Park (Modderfontein) is pretty centrally located, the longest loop currently is 33km give or take. But you can easily get extra distance in with a loop of the other sections and/or the service roads.

It’s not overly technical and pretty flat, so not much freewheeling.

Best choice for me. Ignore the people who say theres a bird with drone capability-all talk. The bird as friendly as anything 

Asidkale at Leeukop prison is great.

Enough beginner track and all the technical stuff can be avoided.

To cover the distance you would have to double lap the easier stuff.

The long route is 40 but some very technical sections if you choose that option.

Lots of climbing unfortunately.

But it’s safe, not very technical and in the heart of Jozi.

21 hours ago, Bundu Ric said:

Thanks all, all those suggestion are within driving distance so we do ride Northern Farm and Red Barn regularly, so was looking for something to do instead of 2 or 3 loops to make up the km's. 

It seems like Cradle is a good start for that. 

Just a stupid question, where is the start for Cradle or what do I search for on Waze to get to the correct starting / parking spot?

You can start at Bidon, Ground, Rhino and Lion Park but my preferred start/finish is Valverde - that way you don't finish on the toughest climb. R20 parking but you get a R20 discount on a coffee etc afterwards. Safe parking and mostly shaded tables

Edited by love2fly

15 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

yep, agreed

Takaro anyday 

Best choice for me. Ignore the people who say theres a bird with drone capability-all talk. The bird as friendly as anything 

That bird hit me 2 times in one ride not so long ago...

15 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Asidkale at Leeukop prison is great.

Enough beginner track and all the technical stuff can be avoided.

To cover the distance you would have to double lap the easier stuff.

The long route is 40 but some very technical sections if you choose that option.

Lots of climbing unfortunately.

But it’s safe, not very technical and in the heart of Jozi.

Keen to try it. But please, please - Fourways / Waterfall is not the heart of Jozi