Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, great time of year to race Jonkers. Wonder what the change will be. Quite sure they will include Firehut and hopefully do proper top to bottoms again.

My completely uninformed route guess:

1. Armageddon 8 to gate via Oom Hansie
  2. DH track top to bottom
  3. Plumber top to bottom
  4. Firehut 3 to bottom

10 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Cool, great time of year to race Jonkers. Wonder what the change will be. Quite sure they will include Firehut and hopefully do proper top to bottoms again.

3. Plumber top to bottom
  4. Firehut 3 to bottom

I mean there are so many variations there, guessing would almost be pointless. They could even mix trails going by the recent love of flat sprinty bits halfway through a stage. Contour start, do like a level, spint sideways to the start of another. Dont get me wrong, I certainly hope not, but it’s 100% possible to do it.

This is going to be epic...Need to start working on those climbing legs.

A full day out at Jonkers is hard work!

10 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

3. Plumber top to bottom
  4. Firehut 3 to bottom

I'm not expecting Plumber in there

I also don't expect and 'top to bottom' in one stage. I can accept that at SA champs it is worth doing, but history shows that a day involving 4 top to bottom stages takes all day. Like timers leave at 7am and close the last stage at 4pm. 

I don't think it's a 'fun' day for most of the field and IMHO a bit unnecessary

8 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I mean there are so many variations there, guessing would almost be pointless. They could even mix trails going by the recent love of flat sprinty bits halfway through a stage. Contour start, do like a level, spint sideways to the start of another. Dont get me wrong, I certainly hope not, but it’s 100% possible to do it.

Cycle Tour still gots you wanting to sprint sideways... thank goodness you're not on the EWC organization team

1 minute ago, Meezo said:

Cycle Tour still gots you wanting to sprint sideways... thank goodness you're not on the EWC organization team

Dunno.... Christo made us do it at the first Witfontein Enduro from the bottom of the old Cross DH to the top of the rocky bit.... I soft pedaled 

53 minutes ago, Meezo said:

aren't you the one who chose a road event over the first enduro round haha?

We’ve had two in a row now where ‘sideways sprinting’ was a thing 😅.
The organisers seem fine with it so far. Hoping jonkers is a ‘conventional’ one too. But in the end…it will be what it is and it will be the same for everybody. 

Edited by MORNE

55 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm not expecting Plumber in there

I also don't expect and 'top to bottom' in one stage. I can accept that at SA champs it is worth doing, but history shows that a day involving 4 top to bottom stages takes all day. Like timers leave at 7am and close the last stage at 4pm. 

I don't think it's a 'fun' day for most of the field and IMHO a bit unnecessary

Im taking this as gospel. 🤣 

plumber will determine if i do lite vs full for sure.

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

aren't you the one who chose a road event over the first enduro round haha?

We’ve had two in a row now where ‘sideways sprinting’ was a thing 😅.
The organisers seem fine with it so far. Hoping jonkers is a ‘conventional’ one too. But in the end…it will be what it is and it will be the same for everybody. 

Ended up doing neither... Haha! 

2 hours ago, Jako De Wet said:

This is going to be epic...Need to start working on those climbing legs.

A full day out at Jonkers is hard work!

Would that explain the recent love for XCduro ? :ph34r:

Edited by Robbie Stewart

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Would that explain the recent love for XCduro ? :ph34r:

Yea they are trying to get everyone to a level where they can actually DO a full day at jonkers. Surely thats the plan haha

Picking up my "new" bike this weekend so finally feel like ill be ready for an enduro. My poor 26er was taking a serious beating. 

When will they be annoucing the lite?