Western Cape Enduro 2023

MORNE

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Is this the order? - number placed at trail head.

image.png.b6f878f115f9e71465544df0ce6b1987.png

In the order i have them listed. (Taken from the video). I updated the 1st post.

Edited by MORNE

Entered. 

it notes 6 stages for the full on entry though? And a starting time of 11:55? Surely not?

also, will there be an official scouting ride again before the time like at paarl? Or whenever. Im not sure when i’m going to get the chance to go look at the trails, might have to ride it blind😅 hope not.

@Warren Melissa Go Riding?

14 hours ago, MORNE said:

Entered. 

it notes 6 stages for the full on entry though? And a starting time of 11:55? Surely not?

also, will there be an official scouting ride again before the time like at paarl? Or whenever. Im not sure when i’m going to get the chance to go look at the trails, might have to ride it blind😅 hope not.

@Warren Melissa Go Riding?

Hey there! Definitely only 5 stages. The enduro is due to start at 2pm. Registration opens at 12 (noon). Apparently its cooler that way. 

10 hours ago, Warren Melissa Go Riding said:

Hey there! Definitely only 5 stages. The enduro is due to start at 2pm. Registration opens at 12 (noon). Apparently its cooler that way. 

☝️ that word concerns me . . .

Either way, let's do this!

24 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So the WC Enduro season is as follows:

1. Rhebokskloof
  2. Jonkers
  3. Witfontein
  4. Jonkers again
  5. Invite only Hellsend (gnar factor off the charts)
  6. Surprise Surprise

Sheesh, cat's out the bag 🙊

Edited by Christofison

Invite only!

I foresee much griping! 😝

There should be a race option for people who do the 85km Marathon in the morning and Full enduro in the afternoon. On the same bike. %difference from the winner's times gets you results... and go!

57 minutes ago, Christofison said:

Sheesh, cat's out the bag 🙊

I was quietly thinking that Witfontein was part of the series this year. Good to see that hope was not dashed. 🍻

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Invite only!

I foresee much griping! 😝

There should be a race option for people who do the 85km Marathon in the morning and Full enduro in the afternoon. On the same bike. %difference from the winner's times gets you results... and go!

I'd definitely go spectate that one.

4 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'd definitely go spectate that one.

Back in the day I would have expected an invite to Hells End Gnar fest and probably have done the Saturday double header.

Now I'm a frail man in my 40s hoping That at least one of the Jonkers Enduro's doesn't have the plumber in it so I don't ded while wondering if I could actually finish 85km in the 6 hours just to make the start of the Enduro!

How times have changed!

BUT.... I am laying down that challenge. I will present a cool shaped stone or something for anyone who has rocks in their head and does both... on the same bike

In fact, I DARE YOU!!!! 🤣

56 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Now I'm a frail man in my 40s

I'm also in that club. I've watched some wiry old ballies with sinews made of steel drop into Plumber and felt a twang of guilt. But then my mind wanders to self preservation mode and I feel better about myself.

I will say though that I am thinking of it as an option for somewhere not too distant when I maybe upgrade to the Spez Status or similar bike that is a bit more than the current Camber I'm on which is grossly under-gunned for the Plumber. 

In the same fashion I would not paddle out at Pipeline on a 6'0" fish, I wouldn't drop into Plumber on a 120mm bike.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm also in that club. I've watched some wiry old ballies with sinews made of steel drop into Plumber and felt a twang of guilt. But then my mind wanders to self preservation mode and I feel better about myself.

I will say though that I am thinking of it as an option for somewhere not too distant when I maybe upgrade to the Spez Status or similar bike that is a bit more than the current Camber I'm on which is grossly under-gunned for the Plumber. 

In the same fashion I would not paddle out at Pipeline on a 6'0" fish, I wouldn't drop into Plumber on a 120mm bike.

Pffft.... Some Plumber fun on a 140mm 650b hardtail... A bigger bike actually makes it scarier as it carries WAY more speed through those rocky step downs in the middle and the brakes pretty much do nothing but bite and try buck you. 

So you need to go FAST and then use the first sharp lefthander in the chicane above the rock spill steep to catch you. It's tricky.

Just send it. The bike will handle it. Ask Oli Munnik's POC Signal.

plumber1.jpg.b028693f4c5f760a57f8b7c0fbd6bdcf.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Pffft.... Some Plumber fun on a 140mm 650b hardtail... A bigger bike actually makes it scarier as it carries WAY more speed through those rocky step downs in the middle and the brakes pretty much do nothing but bite and try buck you. 

So you need to go FAST and then use the first sharp lefthander in the chicane above the rock spill steep to catch you. It's tricky.

Just send it. The bike will handle it. Ask Oli Munnik's POC Signal.

plumber1.jpg.b028693f4c5f760a57f8b7c0fbd6bdcf.jpg

Maybe I should go take a walk down that line. I haven't ridden Rock 'n Rolla at Witfontein so I don't know how they compare, so perhaps its not a bad idea.

In saying that, I'm no Oli Munnik, but lets give it a try.