Rapide Wheels

JJDT

Thinking of buying a new set of wheels and I was looking at the Rapide wheels. Anyone using these wheels and your feedback. Know the other products bought from Rapide never had any issues but I just want to know long term usage.

I've got a set of the Rapide 30mm wide, non boost wheel set with through axle and run a 12sp slx cassette (see what I did there advert po po?)

I run 2.35's front and back and have no issues except for a little lack of rubber clearance on the back frame by the seat post tube. Its not the rims fault, but my choice of fatter tyres. 

I'm very happy with the wheel set, and the freehub sounds great when your giving it beans down the single tracks. The hub and freebody was recently serviced and the bearings replaced with Enduro's, cost around R480 

To throw the proverbial spanner in the works, I also recently purchased a set of 30mm wide, boost wheel set with through axle from Lyne with the enduro style hub/freebody and they're an absolute bomb for what we put them through. The freebody sounds like a bunch of p*ssed off bee's which we also enjoy. Its an alternate wheel set to look at if you're shopping around

I'm using 25mm width Rapidé rims on DT Swiss 350 straight pull boost hubs, also very happy with them.

They are strong and light weight, you cant go wrong.

+1 for these. I ran a set of TR29-25 complete wheels for a bit on my rigid MTB (including a Munga Grit), rode 'em as if I stole 'em, and they were unscathed and straight as an arrow even with my~90kg hooning them around. for a 1600g wheelset that's sub R6k, it's a no-brainer.

28 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

+1 for these. I ran a set of TR29-25 complete wheels for a bit on my rigid MTB (including a Munga Grit), rode 'em as if I stole 'em, and they were unscathed and straight as an arrow even with my~90kg hooning them around. for a 1600g wheelset that's sub R6k, it's a no-brainer.

Best bang for buck upgrade in my opinion. Had a set on my hardtail (non boost) and now have a set on my DS (boost). I have had zero issues and this after a year of riding, including Munga 2022. Best of all, the freebodies are very affordable if you need to change it. 

Edited by gemmerbal

Meh, I had a bad experience with their droppers. I'd vouch for Lyne any day of the week, it's about the same price and the support has always been fantastic from Lyne. 

I had a rapide 27.5 30mm 28h rim on my enduro bike. 
I am a firm believer that bikes need to be ridden sideways so I treated that wheel with very little respect and it rolled with all the punches. 

I can wholly recommend Rapide wheels. 

19 minutes ago, Adr!@n said:

Meh, I had a bad experience with their droppers. I'd vouch for Lyne any day of the week, it's about the same price and the support has always been fantastic from Lyne. 

We talking wheel/rims here not droppers .... 🤷‍♂️

Edit:  PS, I'm with you on the Lyne droppers 😊

Edited by TheoG

I have a pair of the non-boost 29 36mm on my DS. They are bullet proof. I ride them on all kinds of terrain with no issues. 20 months down the line and they're still running true, no broken spokes or hub issues. For the price you can't go wrong.

Downside is mine are wide, and with a pair of 2.60 Butcher and Eliminator tires they tend to keep me slow on the ups, but they are amazing weapons on the descents.

Replaced my rims a while back with Rapide 30mm ID rims, the front is holding up ok still but the rear lasted 2 months before being completed destroyed, rim bead folded in on itself with no major evidence of a big hit, so tossed it and replaced with a Spank. School fees paid.

2 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Replaced my rims a while back with Rapide 30mm ID rims, the front is holding up ok still but the rear lasted 2 months before being completed destroyed, rim bead folded in on itself with no major evidence of a big hit, so tossed it and replaced with a Spank. School fees paid.

Did you speak to Wayne ? Maybe yours was a factory fault ! Lots of Happy Puppies here !

5 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Yip, send photos, factory said it was rider fault

On mine, out the box I had a sharp edged bur that was clearly machined on the part where the bead grips the rim. It cost me a tire after slicing the bead off on that section. Photos were sent to them, but then also I was blamed and no replacement was offered nor any reparation offered for me losing a new tire. Oh, this was after my second ride ...

Some 800 grit light sanding did the trick and a new tire fitted which is still on.

So my experience after that is the wheel is good, but I'm going to Lyne next time for better service.