Exercise-induced Asthma

DodgeB

Hi Folks

Rodger here. I am 56 and ride mtb two or three times a week, for about the last three years, and love it. But the last couple of months have suffered from asthma, about 30-40 minutes into the ride. I now keep a salbutamol inhaler, with me. But it is impacting on my riding and the enjoyment of it. Doing other kinds of exercise (martial arts), seems fine though. Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks, and be safe,

r

The best people to contact regarding this, in no particular order are;

Team Sky - Wiggo and Froome

Liverpool Football Club - More than half of their first team squad has a TUE to use an inhaler

British Athletics - Paula Radcliffe and Mo Farrah

David Beckham

Dennis Rodman

Frankie Sheahan, Tommy Bowe and the Irish national rugby team........

There is quite a substantial list of top level athletes who use/used a Salbutamol inhaler. 

There is quite a lot of information on asthma and sport which makes very interesting reading and definitely brings out some tinfoil hat fan theories.

Hi 

I am 54 and have exercise-induced asthma normally felt after an all-out effort, so have tended to keep effort under control to avoid this.   Many years of smoking and propping up a bar counters have not helped either 

The keeping efforts under control to not get out of breath approach is flawed and on seeking medical advice from my GP, I have gone onto a preventative pump ( Foxair ), and now fair far better.

MO is now to use the preventer daily, then have a puff of the salbutamol at the start of the ride and then ride as normal, knowing that I have a pump in my back pocket if I struggle ( this is the most powerful as you will more often than not recover from all-out efforts and do not need it.

So partly between the ears, but do what it takes to work for you.

Your GP can do a lung function test and diagnose on actual data so that would be my suggested kick-off.

Enjoy the  riding it will keep you young 

1 hour ago, DodgeB said:

Hi Folks

Rodger here. I am 56 and ride mtb two or three times a week, for about the last three years, and love it. But the last couple of months have suffered from asthma, about 30-40 minutes into the ride. I now keep a salbutamol inhaler, with me. But it is impacting on my riding and the enjoyment of it. Doing other kinds of exercise (martial arts), seems fine though. Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks, and be safe,

r

Yes long term asthma patient here. I’ve. Largely had it under control but Saturday past I had an episode in a race.

i use a cortisone inhaler (foxair 50/250) and a brochodilator called LuMont.

infind the higher my VO2max the more easy it is to manage. It’s the how I get there that is the tricky part.

also try to identify the food stuffs that creates a broncho restriction reaction. This could be any number of things .

consult your doctor as a first step though 

Edited by DieselnDust

33 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

In my personal experience, as a Joburger, this is more of an issue on the dry and dusty days of winter. 

Yes dry air is often a trigger

I have asthma all my life. I get the worst of it when playing sports and without warning. I am lucky that the asthma pump works for me, but at times when I am not doing too good, I will make use of a nebuliser. I am also on foxair - not sure if it works for me as there is times when riding that I need my asthma pump(often). People joke with me about walking up hills, asthma is the main cause.  

Try not to do anything without an asthma pump. I keep almost empty ones as spares. in the car, on the bikes etc. just incase I forget to take it along.

18 hours ago, DodgeB said:

Hi Folks

Thanks, and be safe,

r

Not sure if it can be managed naturally as it strikes me regardless of fitness etc etc (bit more susceptible if I have a hangover seems to me). Very cold air and pollution, particularly sulphur compounds, can do it for me.  But ja, see your GP; mine is since early school days.

Some things:

• It's fundamentally an inflammatory disease. Check and think about what you eat and how it affects your asthma. If you manage your diet carefully you may improve things significantly. You may even manage with no meds, Some foods are very pro-inflammatory and some are pretty anti.
  • Fasting is a great way to manage inflammation downwards.
  • Get your weight down, Weight is an inflammation driver. Fat is an organ, not just an energy storage facility.
  • What Diesel said. The higher your VO2 Max the less you'll have asthma. 
  • Nobody has mentioned Singulaire. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone (something about genetics) but if its works for you its da bomb. You'll breathe free and easy like you won't believe it. You pop one daily. You'll need a script. The generic MonteAir is just as good as the OEM.
  • Before a really hard ride, a few mg of prednisone or similar can help a lot. You'll need a script.
  • Be consistent in the use of your corticosteroid inhaler.

Maybe this will help someone.

Never ever smoked, never had an issue as a kid.

But around 20 years ago I got it for the first time.

I used to then ride with a pump.

The worst I had was at Rhodes when I passed out at the summit. After a lie down and heavy nosebleed I made my way back downhill to the finish.

I did not have my pump on that day, and since then have decided to go without it. From there I simply started listening to my body and made sure to prevent any exertion that causes that burn, which leads to a chronic phlegm build up.

I have raced many years and many races with the condition and keep it under control with a cough meds that also help reduce inflammation.

For the past 18 months I have been using Synatura.

Now I have things fully under control.

image.jpg

I am 44 years old and the fitter I am (VO2 above 43 even better above 50) the more my Asthma is under controlled. I also try avoid dairy as it flares my Asthma attacks and also being over-weight doesn't. Salfates also have a negative affect which is common in some spices and beverages. 

I am on Monte-Air, Symbicord ( 2 times per day) , albutamol inhaler (during rides). Fox-Air and Singulaire doesn't help me but speak to your docter and try different things.

My 2 cents

Edited by Zatek

19 minutes ago, DodgeB said:

Thanks so much for all the replies. There is something about asthma that makes one feel isolated, and this is clearly not the case.

you're only isolated when your Salbutamol levels are >1000mg/L in a 24hr period, then you get more attention than you ever craved

3 hours ago, Zatek said:

I am 44 years old and the fitter I am (VO2 above 43 even better above 50) the more my Asthma is under controlled. I also try avoid dairy as it flares my Asthma attacks and also being over-weight doesn't. Salfates also have a negative affect which is common in some spices and beverages. 

I am on Monte-Air, Symbicord ( 2 times per day) , albutamol inhaler (during rides). Fox-Air and Singulaire doesn't help me but speak to your docter and try different things.

My 2 cents

Yes, avoid dairy, instant mucus buildup. Friends ask my why no milk, i just say lactose intolerant, no explanations needed LOL