Dealer debate

RossTopher

On 3/1/2023 at 1:05 PM, RossTopher said:

thanks all for the input. really interesting to hear the many experiences and different thoughts. both individuals and bikeshops suffering from the lowballing, and as pointed out, the price hikes with zero value added.

I use the Dealer filter, but as mentioned, this cuts out the many quality dealers who ask fair prices, and still includes accounts on here not registered as dealers but reselling en masse.

The post was sparked by a particular case yesterday where i got sent a link to a dealers add. The price isnt even that obscene, it's jsut that i'd seen the bike listed privately a day earlier, prior to the 46% hike.

Suffering from low balling? Bit dramatic, don't you think, I mean, it's a message, just ignore it and move on with your life.

I get low balled all day, every day, and not by dealers, but I definitely wouldn't say that I'm suffering. Im actually quite entertained 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I think the biggest problem is the lazy buy and resell dealers that add nothing but profit to the deals.

Nobody is saying you cannot make some money, but do a little bit of work for it.

On one hand a feel comments on ads would help to call out these guys, on the other hand we have seen these can get out of hand or personal.

Its tough, I'm not sure what the answer is because clearly teh free market system is flawed. 

Maybe lazy, but a huge amount of risk. Would you gamble R80k at the chance of maybe making R5-10k in the next 3 weeks?

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Maybe lazy, but a huge amount of risk. Would you gamble R80k at the chance of maybe making R5-10k in the next 3 weeks?

I dont see it as a huge risk. Sure there is risk involved, but the guys are doing this knowing the product will most likely move. And they certainly do not start their journey in the 80k market, they have built up from the cheapy side.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I dont see it as a huge risk. Sure there is risk involved, but the guys are doing this knowing the product will most likely move. And they certainly do not start their journey in the 80k market, they have built up from the cheapy side.

Plenty dealers out there spending 6 figures on used bikes. "Most likely" is very far from a guarantee

27 minutes ago, jcza said:

Use the Rouxtjie rule... 

Amen brother! The only way to sort the wheat from the chaff 😎

Based on what I've read here there's a few I'd avoid for sure but that's just me 😜

Edited by NotSoBigBen

8 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Based on what I've read here there's a few I'd avoid for sure but that's just me 😜

I can guarantee you that not a single dealer here cares.

It's always the usual small bunch commenting in the forums vs the masses engaging in the classifieds 

1 minute ago, ACE Cycles said:

It's always the usual small bunch commenting in the forums vs the masses engaging in the classifieds 

At least I know where I stand now but it's all good ... I'll sleep ok tonight

44 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

You get low ball offers, and then you get what a pawn shop would offer you 🤣

A) Lowball the deal? What does that mean, nobody is getting forced here

B) Or they know the market value, but are happy to accept trade value and not have their time wasted

C) What is true value? Are you referring to market value?

I'm sure we're not far off from each other so thought I'd have a look see who I was forward and backing with.

image.png.50cc1b92206f236f4199b37d6ece8206.png

That's a great record, I would totally do business with you.

My concern with the classifieds is that it loses the community (which includes this rating system) backup that makes this a trusted place. Who wants it to become a gumtree?

I don't feel that resellers add much intrinsic value, especially when shipping is involved it just adds costs by making two transactions out of one. As a dealer I would have thought you might be on the same view, but clearly you're happy with them so I'll leave it there.

Let's move onto the discussion of VAT on second hand goods shall we.

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I'm sure we're not far off from each other so thought I'd have a look see who I was forward and backing with.

image.png.50cc1b92206f236f4199b37d6ece8206.png

That's a great record, I would totally do business with you.

My concern with the classifieds is that it loses the community (which includes this rating system) backup that makes this a trusted place. Who wants it to become a gumtree?

I don't feel that resellers add much intrinsic value, especially when shipping is involved it just adds costs by making two transactions out of one. As a dealer I would have thought you might be on the same view, but clearly you're happy with them so I'll leave it there.

Let's move onto the discussion of VAT on second hand goods shall we.

104 5 star ratings and that one 4 star kills me everytime I see those stats

28 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

Plenty dealers out there spending 6 figures on used bikes. "Most likely" is very far from a guarantee

But unless they are an established business I can almost guarantee they did not start off by trading in 6 figure bikes

12 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

ACE, I have a mate that regularly cycles with your groups and speaks well of you.

Your ratings here and feedback from transactions is good, but based on your the manner in which you always pop up in these threads and try and justify the transactions of what I would term "guys just trying to make a quick buck out of the cycling boom by ripping people off" , I would not do business with you.

It will most likely not affect your business in anyway, neither of us will lose sleep over it. I'd like to think you have good intentions, so maybe have a look at how you interact in these threads because if I'm thinking this way for sure the guy with 6 figure in his pocket looking for a new bike might also just be thinking this way.

14 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

But unless they are an established business I can almost guarantee they did not start off by trading in 6 figure bikes

ACE, I have a mate that regularly cycles with your groups and speaks well of you.

Your ratings here and feedback from transactions is good, but based on your the manner in which you always pop up in these threads and try and justify the transactions of what I would term "guys just trying to make a quick buck out of the cycling boom by ripping people off" , I would not do business with you.

It will most likely not affect your business in anyway, neither of us will lose sleep over it. I'd like to think you have good intentions, so maybe have a look at how you interact in these threads because if I'm thinking this way for sure the guy with 6 figure in his pocket looking for a new bike might also just be thinking this way.

My bru, I'm hated in the threads and loved in the classifieds. I accept it, if anything, I'll more than often be the **** with an alternative view in the spirit of healthy debate.

Fortunately, the classifieds pay my bills, and I use that to support my family, pay my bills, support my cycling passion. All this while I sponsor and chair our cycling club and recently registered a foundation to support cyclists with disablities as well as kit for development teams. I've devoted my life to the sport.

People will describe me as a that typically ****, until you get to know me better.

Don't take me too seriously, I don't. 

PS - The post covid cycling boom is long and gone, just from what I've noticed in sales figures from May 2022

I just went through the thread again, just to see what exactly I said to be painted as a supporter of resellers ripping people off....

I highlighted the difference between a reseller and a dealer, the basics of a free market system, the associated risk, the value add, and the fact that these guys don't read the threads or care for the opinions posted here.

These are facts, nothing personal @The Ouzoand @NotSoBigBen

If anything, I'll apologize for my tone and delivery 

10 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Probably the most sensible comment here. I find it absurd that anyone feels like they are entitled to a point to dictate the price of someone else's goods.

If you're not happy with the price, then don't buy it and if you lost out on a deal because you were faffing about, then you only have yourself to blame.

Willing buyer, willing seller

I fully agree