Downhill racers and freeriders

Steve Addington

Good day,

I was wondering with all the DH races going on, where do all you guys train? 

I heard Theo trained in Tokai, Ike has Hellsend. But Hellsend is only open during limited times.

(I should mention, I am in Cape Town.)

Is there still any Downhill focused riders out there? 

The main reason why I ask, DH is a relatively dangerous sport to do by yourself. I am trying to find riding partners.

I had a fun little group back in Bloemfontein.

Hit me up one day when you take the big rig out for a spin. 

Kind regards,

Steve A

I'm a very part time DH racer - haven't entered one for at least 2 years. If you've done any of the local races you will know that the tracks are not hugely technical but you do require good tech/jumping skills to do well i.e go fast. Tokai does provide some decent practice tracks but they are quite short and there are no uplift possibilities. The jonkers round of the WC DH is coming up shortly I think. The shuttle/practice day before race day provides a very good training opportunity. Jonkers DH track is always open but does require a serious pedal so an enduro bike is the better option there and Tokai.

Are you on a real DH bike or enduro bike?

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

I'm a very part time DH racer - haven't entered one for at least 2 years. If you've done any of the local races you will know that the tracks are not hugely technical but you do require good tech/jumping skills to do well i.e go fast. Tokai does provide some decent practice tracks but they are quite short and there are no uplift possibilities. The jonkers round of the WC DH is coming up shortly I think. The shuttle/practice day before race day provides a very good training opportunity. Jonkers DH track is always open but does require a serious pedal so an enduro bike is the better option there and Tokai.

Are you on a real DH bike or enduro bike?

Yes I am on a Morewood makulu 27.5 DH rig.
I am planning on entering the rest of the races this season, but was hoping to make a few buds before the races.

What tracks are open to privet shuttles?

You can "shuttle" tokai in a long round about way. We do it so now and again. i.e you need 2 vehicles, leave one at toaki and take the bikes up to silvermine with the other. Then you can climb up to donkey and drop in and either do broken road or pedal aroun(fairly flat here) to dh0. But it is really a one hit kinda thing unless you session sections.

3 hours ago, Steve Addington said:

Yes I am on a Morewood makulu 27.5 DH rig.
I am planning on entering the rest of the races this season, but was hoping to make a few buds before the races.

What tracks are open to privet shuttles?

Easiest if you are norman no mates is to go to Paarl. The Taal Monument. Get your bird to shuttle you. Bribe her with lunch afterwards. Tar shuttle road. Easy access. You can easily bang out 10 runs in 2 hours and maybe make a few mates as it's generally got a few guys doing the same thing.

Hellsend tends to have regular shuttle days. Like one a month average. NOT TO BE MISSED!! That is the closest thing to a Euro bike park you'll find in SA.

Yeah, Paarl is a great option, easy access, and great for multiple shuttles. 2 short lines tho, but some awesome features if you explore a little.

Agree on Paarl - its a fun track and the easiest, smoothest  shuttle road you'll ever find. The Tokai option mentioned by Eddy is a long way around and won't give you heaps of runs due to the distances and traffic involved and isn't a great option on a full on DH bike due to the flattish pedaling needed to access the DH line.

44 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Agree on Paarl - its a fun track and the easiest, smoothest  shuttle road you'll ever find. The Tokai option mentioned by Eddy is a long way around and won't give you heaps of runs due to the distances and traffic involved and isn't a great option on a full on DH bike due to the flattish pedaling needed to access the DH line.

Done the Tokai shuttle around a few times and always thought it was a poor ROI. It takes around 45 minutes to do the drive up, ride across and full run down. Do that with 4 other guys and that's a big time investment for around 20 minutes of riding.

Still way better than going to a mall or some such punishment tho.

@ the op

There's a bit of a micro economy with shuttle days in the WC. 

There's the aforementioned Hellsend

There's also Avondale that seems to run shuttle days from time to time 

I know Rene Damseaux was running shuttles out at helderberg. Some good stuff on that hill. It's been a while since I was out there but give the hanger bike co a call maybe he's still operating. I honestly don't know

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...