[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@The Gallows Do we get to ask about recommended tire width now after these saucy updates to the route? I was planning to go 38c to keep things light for the climb… but now… 👀😂💀🪦

Edited by Spookie

Wish i lived closer. That Galgeberg climb at the end will be brutal with over 150 km in the legs already!

17 hours ago, Spookie said:

@The Gallows Do we get to ask about recommended tire width now after these saucy updates to the route? I was planning to go 38c to keep things light for the climb… but now… 👀😂💀🪦

It’s a gravel bikes only race, so you’re “somewhat” limited on the upper end by most frame clearances.

I’ll be on 38c pathfinders, unless it rains all week, in which case it’ll be 40c Pirelli cinturato gravel M

18 hours ago, Spookie said:

38c should be fine. There’s a rough section between 35-45km that might rattle you a bit but 38c should be good for 95% of the route.

42 will probably be the safest choice.

1 hour ago, KieserJ said:

38c should be fine. There’s a rough section between 35-45km that might rattle you a bit but 38c should be good for 95% of the route.

42 will probably be the safest choice.

Damn ok cool, the 42’s stay on then! Thanks 

Organisers...please mark the route. Chalk on the floor works well... I went straight into town after i came out the grave yard...

Can you make a place in town to collect nmbr, there was hardly any space at Heavens to park to do collections last year. 

Wicked

Thanks Vulgar, good points.

We'll be sure to mark the hell out of the route this year 🤘

Number collections will be at Lord's wines on both Friday afternoon/eve and the morning before the race. Lot's of parking and closer to town. 👌

Amped!

On 5/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, Spookie said:

Damn ok cool, the 42’s stay on then! Thanks 

On 5/23/2023 at 12:03 PM, MongooseMan said:

It’s a gravel bikes only race, so you’re “somewhat” limited on the upper end by most frame clearances.

I’ll be on 38c pathfinders, unless it rains all week, in which case it’ll be 40c Pirelli cinturato gravel M

image.png.76b63e616e779a780f819e01277a9a4f.png
I think I may go with the grippier (Pirelli) tyres, given the above forecast for next week

On 5/23/2023 at 12:03 PM, MongooseMan said:

As far as I know not limited to "gravel bikes" there is no UCI definition of what that is yet. I'll be there with my rigid fork hardtail with flat bars and try get into that single track first!!!

...out the back on the last climb but who cares 😂🤪

24 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

As far as I know not limited to "gravel bikes" there is no UCI definition of what that is yet. I'll be there with my rigid fork hardtail with flat bars and try get into that single track first!!!

...out the back on the last climb but who cares 😂🤪

They’ve updated the entry page, it used to say “gravel bikes only” (your valid comments about what are even a gravel bike anyways notwithstanding 😂)

Edited by MongooseMan

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

They’ve updated the entry page, it used to say “gravel bikes only” (your valid comments about what are a gravel bike notwithstanding 😂)

Yeah I think it was like that last year. The race is now part of the WP gravel series and all others don't limit bike choice.

I mean my bike is 100% gravel except it doesn't have drop bars (no suspension). I'm sure a definition of what a gravel bike is will pop up somewhere but if guys are using "road bikes" at the world champs then that might get tricky.

Some gravel bikes actually has more compliance than what I have hehe, but if you pitch with a full sus MTB then good luck with that!

There’s no rules (yet) to gravel racing. So you should be able to essentially rock up on any bike you choose. 

I do expect this to change soonish.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Isn't the point of gravel racing to pitch up with whichever type of bike you think best suits the course laid out by the organisers?

But more practically, the bike you own.

Yes. But, in previous years, both the Gallows and the Ceder races have explicitly stated "gravel bikes only" on their entry pages.

Both have subsequently changed to the more sensible "you do you" approach (Ceder last year, Gallows this year).