[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

1 minute ago, mathewk said:

Tyres are probably the most heated debate in all the gravel world haha. Ive listened to about 6hours worth podcasts of grown men debating between 42s and 47s 😅

That's why I run 45 🤣

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you be able to fit a 650b wheel into any frame if you were looking to fit wider tyres? Let’s say for instance I purchase a frame with max clearance of 42mm but Im looking for a way around to go wider tyres.

On 4/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, Donovan Le Cok said:

I was 40 - 28 which was not a great choice... 

Trying to work out the gearing.  40/48 chainring and 11-28 cassette?

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

why not 11-42 cassette?

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Yes that was what I was running, but just to be clear it is the wrong choice. 😂

I am running 50/34 - 11/28 this year.

image.png.77805da7dd972b3d62dc2ca4fe7928fe.pngSeems that in comparison even my 46-50 wouldn't be that bad of a grind... I'm in the process of sourcing a 52 cassette and a 44 chainring just because Malcolm stressed me 🤣

Edited by Jbr

20 minutes ago, Jbr said:

image.png.77805da7dd972b3d62dc2ca4fe7928fe.pngSeems that in comparison even my 46-50 wouldn't be that bad of a grind... I'm in the process of sourcing a 52 cassette and a 44 chainring just because Malcolm stressed me 🤣

Listen if The Grind Master aka The Torqueanator aka The Don is swapping the 40t small ring for a 34t surely that means something right? 

Seriously though the 2 times I did that climb I was just ***, you are in way better shape than me so maybe you will climb it and at the end ask what was all the fuss about 🤔

1 minute ago, milky4130 said:

Listen if The Grind Master aka The Torqueanator aka The Don is swapping the 40t small ring for a 34t surely that means something right? 

Seriously though the 2 times I did that climb I was just ***, you are in way better shape than me so maybe you will climb it and at the end ask what was all the fuss about 🤔

yeah no stress Dan also advised strongly against 46T and 50 cassette all together 🤣

I think on fresh legs or if the climb is first then your current gearing should be fine, but the okes are going to be racing, there are gonna be attacks & splits & dead wheels for days and there is a small'ish climb somewhere in the middle that will cost a bit by the time you get to the tar section of the final climb it's survival mode for most.

On 5/2/2024 at 6:15 PM, Donovan Le Cok said:

Yes that was what I was running, but just to be clear it is the wrong choice. 😂

I am running 50/34 - 11/28 this year.

Making me feel better about my 50/34 and 11-36 setup. Survived Rietfontein this weekend, but that was a different beast!

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Anyone know when entries close for Gallows?

the gram post from this morning says this is the last week to enter.

1 hour ago, I FLY said:

I am in McGregor this week and have ridden most of this route except for the last 6kms in my rides so far.

The gravel roads and the short tar sections are in good condition.

Ok I'm putting GP 5000s on then

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

Ok I'm putting GP 5000s on then

Lol. Was about to say "so stick to my puncture prone 'fast' gravel tyres, or sommer swop in the roadbike deep sections", but you beat me to it!

I was watching bwr content recently, blows my mind to see some of the tyres used there… some used almost the same I race road with (gp5000 32s), and some of the sections looked properly challenging on road tyres.