Did I just kill my brand new tyre?

Graham S

20 hours ago, Graham S said:

Thanks for the info!

Ya with my old 26er the rack was perfectly fine but with this new bike and the frame design its not sitting that nicely, especially since the down tube is so thick, it doesnt fit in the rubber older. 

If I hang it from the top tube it clamps nicely but then the front wheel sits very close to the ground, maybe like 10-15cm from the road...

I've put a tube in the tyre now and will plug and patch it and see how it goes. I assume running it tubeless again is out of the question? 

Do a proper patch job and tubeless will be fine.
I've sewn and patched tyres with massive cuts and slashes in the sidewall and they've lasted well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch… I would replace, once rubber has been exposed to that kind of heat, it’s possible the tire bead membrane will have warped somewhat, so your tire might experience a hoop or wall failure under pressure, that’s why some people get an unexpected blowouts, they fail to realise that the wheels are taking heat from the exhaust for your two hour drive or more. Good Luck.

14 hours ago, Theunissa said:

Or just don't make the exhaust tip stick out. I don't think that's a standard exhaust

That is a standard exhaust on those older CRVs

1 minute ago, betaboy said:

Ouch… I would replace, once rubber has been exposed to that kind of heat, it’s possible the tire bead membrane will have warped somewhat, so your tire might experience a hoop or wall failure under pressure, that’s why some people get an unexpected blowouts, they fail to realise that the wheels are taking heat from the exhaust for your two hour drive or more. Good Luck.

Ya the area around the burn is noticeably thinner than the sections that are unaffected. Its not like a normal cut as I assumed. The side wall over that entire area now feels very thin, you could put your fingernail through it. So would probably need a really long patch and a tube.

1 minute ago, Graham S said:

Ya the area around the burn is noticeably thinner than the sections that are unaffected. Its not like a normal cut as I assumed. The side wall over that entire area now feels very thin, you could put your fingernail through it. So would probably need a really long patch and a tube.

When you patch you effectively put a weight out of turn so to speak,  so the whole tire will now behave differently with various pressure points within the casing, so by default  you running an unbalanced tire. For a get me out of jail card it’s fine short term to fix but needs replacing IMHO, and rubber is not cheap, we are just discussing this over on the other thread.🙃

8 minutes ago, betaboy said:

When you patch you effectively put a weight out of turn so to speak,  so the whole tire will now behave differently with various pressure points within the casing, so by default  you running an unbalanced tire. For a get me out of jail card it’s fine short term to fix but needs replacing IMHO, and rubber is not cheap, we are just discussing this over on the other thread.🙃

Yeah agreed. 

I asked this same question on some international facebook pages and the results are as follows.

All Americans, brits and other: Replace the tyre, rubber is cheap etc. 
South Africans: mixed responses with patches and replacement. 

MTB tyres are quite a chunk of change if you werent planning on replacing a brand new tyre. 

Coming from motorcycling and paying around R6000 for 2 tyres to MTB where the tyres are just as expensive makes unforseen purchases quite a sting to the wallet. 

Especially since I just used my entire bonus to treat myself to a new (to me) bike and now the tyre is dead 😅

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A mushroom plug worked for me. 5601B1A6-F3E6-469A-820B-79518226A138.jpeg.32374232fec0602026acb8375781f1ec.jpeg

Agreed, if this was a normal tear this would be a non issue.

The problem is that the heat melted and thinned out an area of rubber. The cords themselves are mostly ok but the rubber holding them together is super thin now, you can just about stick your finger nail through it quite easily :(

Circa 2015 I arrive at registration for Karoo to Coast in Uniondale on the Saturday afternoon. A gent in a Focus ST pulls in direct from Cape Town with his bike hanging on the rack with brand spanking new, previously unridden rubber on front and back. That rubber was still shiny. Anyway, one of the wheels was hanging directly in the exit path of the exhaust. Needless to say the rubber was basically dripping off the rim.

I don't think he ended up riding. 

32 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Yeah agreed. 

I asked this same question on some international facebook pages and the results are as follows.

All Americans, brits and other: Replace the tyre, rubber is cheap etc. 
South Africans: mixed responses with patches and replacement. 

MTB tyres are quite a chunk of change if you werent planning on replacing a brand new tyre. 

Coming from motorcycling and paying around R6000 for 2 tyres to MTB where the tyres are just as expensive makes unforseen purchases quite a sting to the wallet. 

Especially since I just used my entire bonus to treat myself to a new (to me) bike and now the tyre is dead 😅

Yeah overseas the tires are cheaper only due to price wars and market share among the brands, there is far more choice, I mean lots of good brands like terravail , IRC etc. Here we generally have a handful so they kind of Cornering market and of course low volumes and middleman rent to pay, we help the whole chain. It’s called capitalism, man’s own self destruction tool. 😬

My take on this unfortunate turn of events is to rather take the plunge and replace the tire. The best case scenario is you are out riding and encounter a catastrophic failure where you end up pushing back to the point of recovery, or worst case scenario you have the same catastrophic failure, except you crash and get hurt, needing medical intervention.

I've had both. I don't trust compromised wheels anymore.