Bike Check: Christopher Blevin's Cape Epic Winning Specialized Epic EVO

News bot

I like it. I like that it is simplified and without the brain to me makes sense. 

The 4 pot brakes and 120mm front end show how they were prepared for heavy tech and then had the watts to overcome that same weight on the less tech. Some cool choices. Awesome to see a breakdown of what the pro's choose. Especially as they could easily have gone standard epic.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

it appears Specialized is ditching brain for the new soon to launched Epic which would make it more desirable me (if the rear suspension module and fork are not proprietary parts)

Now that is something I would climb on board with, they make cool bikes but yes without the proprietary parts I think you'll have more people buying bikes from them.

4 minutes ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Now that is something I would climb on board with, they make cool bikes but yes without the proprietary parts I think you'll have more people buying bikes from them.

Let’s not all rush now…

there’s nothing more boring than everyone sheepleling across the bushveld.

49 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

would make it more desirable me (if the rear suspension module and fork are not proprietary parts)

Might be ditching brain, but not ditching proprietary kit.
image.png.efb99d2b1c2999d046ad161b594608c6.png

18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

https://bikenetwork.co.za/leaked-cape-epic-switches-to-enduro-race-format-for-2024-and-beyond/

It had to happen! 

The Evo mode will become even more important going forward in the Epic, but I think Blevins will now opt for the missing dropper post to maximize DH speed for the new format. 

Super pumped to see the Epic racers shredding the gnar!

We will update this article as more info becomes available, likely on 1 April.....🙃

Matt Beers: "Over the coming months, we have wind tunnel sessions and downhill echelon training on the cards, along with some prototype fairings we will be adding to our Epics. The whole team is super-pumped on the new format.”  🤣

1 hour ago, Michael S said:

Not sure what the detail design looks like yet but hopefully it’s an off the shelf RS unit with custom tune

37 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Not sure what the detail design looks like yet but hopefully it’s an off the shelf RS unit with custom tune

Looks like a Trek and may have been inspired by Scott's Shy Shock technology

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Looks like a Trek and may have been inspired by Scott's Shy Shock technology

Spez S caliber?

The brain was a XC specific solution (and fair to say a proven one) that somehow found it's way onto the marathon scene. I imagine in a XC race it's helpfull not to deal with locking out or forgetting to unlock. 

For a marathon you can decide this is a long hill and have the smoother suspension going down. 

26 minutes ago, Showtime said:

The brain was a XC specific solution (and fair to say a proven one) that somehow found it's way onto the marathon scene. I imagine in a XC race it's helpfull not to deal with locking out or forgetting to unlock. 

For a marathon you can decide this is a long hill and have the smoother suspension going down. 

So Blevins basically proved that the original Epic is not a prerequisite to ride or win the Epic.

I'm picturing a couple thousand South African mamils who've just realised they were brainwashed by the need for the brain...😄

On 3/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, babse said:

Isnt the Evo brainless?

🤣

On 3/30/2023 at 2:30 PM, PappaWatTrap said:

Huge fan of the guys, not necessarily the brand.
But seeing the bikes with the manual twist lockout makes me happy. Now we just need a budget friendly Epic Evo with deore 12 speed groupset, XT shifter and the twist lockout for those punchy climbs. Then I get to pretend I put out the same watts as those guys and pedal a sick bike at a budget😎

SRAM GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Mtb bike mountain, Mtb ...

6 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

I’m very curious to figure out why they have kept the brain, is it so that you are forced to services your bike at a specialized shop at a premium? 

if you have a evo Epic then you can service it at any shop because you don’t have that brain component in the fork and shock. 

Most things on my bike I’ll do myself , but not really the suspension. So I wouldn’t buy a bike if it means I need to send it to a certain retailer to get the suspension serviced. So the Evo makes it exciting cause it should be a simpler bike to service in the bigger picture of things. 

This makes one think...

5 hours ago, Michael S said:

I saw this then: https://youtu.be/rLIpdU8DVZ8 and made me dizzy just watching it. General question...does the average weekend rider actually need a brain, or understand how it works? Or is it another case of...

Simon (@simonmtb2015) / Twitter

6 minutes ago, DNC said:

So Blevins basically proved that the original Epic is not a prerequisite to ride or win the Epic.

I'm picturing a couple thousand South African mamils who've just realised they were brainwashed by the need for the brain...😄

He clearly missed the marketing memo .... 😋

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

He clearly missed the marketing memo .... 😋

In that case I hope he's left the country because they'll be hunting him down with their es-works branded pitchforks...