Why is bicycle clothing so expensive?

Graham S

58 minutes ago, Meezo said:

don't worry, when you started out here on bikehub we had to endure the same... 😅

let the op be, opening reading and responding to every topic is not necessarily necessary, unless you DieselnDust or Jewbecca

Geez.... I don't respond to EVERY thread, just the ones that interest me. 

3 minutes ago, Graham S said:

That was not the point of my post to be honest. 

My point is the price vs the use case of the item.

How can a pair of enduro shorts cost R1800 when it literally does nothing more than cover your legs and give you some pockets and maybe some comfort if it has a chamoix? 

Where is that R1800 coming from? 

Thats why I compared it to motorcycle gear. The price vs protection factor seems to be better with the leathers versus the shorts. 

My post is more of an observation than complaint. 

Pants / bibs is the ONE area where you need to experiement and find that one that works for YOU.

Ciovita Corsa bibs .... dont waste your money ....  (and yet they DO have a following of happy customers)

Assos bibs .... certainly way better than Ciovita, in my experience.

But I really dont like the strapped feel of a bib .... much prefer a "cycling pants".  Seems only Assos has this, the rest have all gone to bibs in the better pants.

okay, for clarity, I am now talking about better padding pants to be used on a three day event.  for the typical 30km weekend fun ride any cheap and nasty pants do the trick.

My first two rides in the Rapid Sports shorts was very positive. Time to take it out for a 5+hour ride .....

That said, padding is one part of this story.

Longevity of the lycra seems to be a whole different thing .... too many scary stories of see through plumber-crack bibs .....

Tops .... absolutely no reason or justification for stupidly high prices on these .....

you think the kit is expensive? Wait till you crash, then you'll discover expensive. My last 2 trips to the ER cost close to half a bar.

Then, when the hobby becomes an addiction and you see what that NEW dream bike costs . . .

[edit] I'm toying with either buying a GS1200 or Iron 883 for less than my most desired Commencal Meta would cost new.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

3 hours ago, Graham S said:

Based off of the other thread about tyres. 

I've only been into the MTB scene for about 1 and half years now, started late 2021. 

I came from over 10 years of motorcycling and buying lots and lots of road and race gear, boots, leather suits etc, all very expensive stuff. 

The thing that blows my mind about cycling clothing prices is the fact that there is basically no material there. 

A pair of kevlar reinforced jeans desgned for slide protection in a fall is around R2000 and up depending on the brand. A pair of RST leather boots is around R3k and up for other brands. 

How are MTB shoes almost the same price? How is a pair of MTB shorts or a lightweight shirt etc all in the above R1000 range? All it is is light. It barely does anything to protect you in a fall. 

Kitting myself out for MTB has been almost as expensive as buying my motrcycle kit all over again. 😅

Now im not implying that I was expecting MTB to be a cheap sport, but more an observation on how high prices are for items that do very little for you vs the price you pay. 

I also come from Superbikes. And I did Alpinestars. I feel you pain...

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

OP no offence meant here 

But are we seriously going to go through every damn part of the cycling experience and complain about how expensive it is ? 

if you find yourself calculating how many km/rand you're getting out of your kit just quit the sport

I honestly can't understand this much thinking that has to go into recreation.

peace ✌️

km/rand...

Salty GIFs | Tenor

3 hours ago, dave303e said:

I tend to do a lot of riding in MX shirts and gloves if that helps? save costs by using for both sports...

But I did throw up in the back of my mouth a little when I saw that alpinestars tech 10 boots are pretty much 15 grand now

And I wore Supertechs...

3 hours ago, Irvin85 said:

Majority of cycling stuff is overpriced... it is seen as a luxury item and people tend to not think twice when spending on their hobbies. 

I don't know how many Sworks I have seen on my local trails with riders on it not capable of pushing the bike to its limits and well over the weight limit of a professional rider, they will not notice the performance difference if they where on another bike but still they are not shy to spend 150k plus for a bike, when a Titan valued at 50k would give them the same experience. 

Then some shops also make a killing, just the other day I saw a pair of mtb bike shoes normal price of R7500 going for 20% less and I suspect the bike shop is still making at least a 30% profit on the lower advertised price. 

In short, cycling stuff is so damn expensive because we are willing to pay so damn much for it. 

Amen

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

you think the kit is expensive? Wait till you crash, then you'll discover expensive. My last 2 trips to the ER cost close to half a bar.

Then, when the hobby becomes an addiction and you see what that NEW dream bike costs . . .

[edit] I'm toying with either buying a GS1200 or Iron 883 for less than my most desired Commencal Meta would cost new.

So you are considered in the “pool”  of folks that drive that insurance policy up 12% every year? 😂😂😂 Half a bar, I hope you had room service.. on us! 🤭

3 hours ago, betaboy said:

So you are considered in the “pool”  of folks that drive that insurance policy up 12% every year? 😂😂😂 Half a bar, I hope you had room service.. on us! 🤭

14 days in total in hotel Mediclinic over two occasions. My only gripe was the lack of beer, but the services on offer were world class. 😉

Well, as always ja/nee. As you note what Tech 10's cost try imagine kitting yourself out with an Arai helmut, Klim (or BMW, perish the thought) jacket and pants, knee braces, maybe a CO2 vest and the boots. Twil make Assos feel a bargain unless you look at ZAR/kg.

My option is more affordable, just. Bell (maybe another Airoh) helmet, Tech 7's then secondhand BMW and Klim gear.