Apologies-please can we do the GCN costing again, I can't find the post with the info.

OVERDRIVE

16 minutes ago, Maniax said:

just for gcn.  netflix doesnt like vpn's on the media box.  but i have the same setup on my phone and tablet as well for loadshedding times.

I know you can set it up on you router ... but i prefer the simpler route. I dont want the vpn running at all times. it affects internet speed, browsing, shopping etc.

This is becoming too deep...DSTV. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

This is becoming too deep...DSTV. 

Agreed ... it sounds like a pain .....  (pretty sure it will be easy after the first few swearing sessions)

NOTHING is deep enough to justify DSTV though !!!!  And even if you do go that route, you only get to see the few events they want to show, and then only after the B-team of the local high school rugby match ....

The one thing I LOVED from RedBull was the fact that I could watch the any event at any time.  Family lost interest in live events after the first 5 minutes, thats if I was not out on the bike myself during the live stream time.

QUESTION - can one stream these at any time from GCN+ ?

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

QUESTION - can one stream these at any time from GCN+ ?

Yes - every event is recorded and you can watch it afterwards at any time.  Even IF DSTV broadcats an event I still use GCN/VPN combo (VNP when needed) because the commentators are world class, know their stuff (mostly all ex pro riders) and there are NO ads!!! Oh and it is 1080P (not 720P like DSTV)

Edited by pedal menace

I have GCN on my phone, tablet, media box, PC etc etc- wherever whenever I can watch cycling. Unlike DSTV that allows streaming to ONE device only (DSTV IS NOT WORTH IT)

40 minutes ago, Maniax said:

I know you can set it up on you router ... but i prefer the simpler route. I dont want the vpn running at all times. it affects internet speed, browsing, shopping etc.

Spot on - on my PC have NordVPN as a browser extension so literally run my VPN on my open browser window ONLY (GCN). Rest if my PC still runs my local network. And it is no effort at all - you click a button - that's it. 

8 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Spot on - on my PC have NordVPN as a browser extension so literally run my VPN on my open browser window ONLY (GCN). Rest if my PC still runs my local network. And it is no effort at all - you click a button - that's it. 

ok. will hook it up and DM you, the streaming tour of flanders thing wasnt working yesterday🥵

11 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

ok. will hook it up and DM you, the streaming tour of flanders thing wasnt working yesterday🥵

You are most welcome. Watched the whole race yesterday on GCN/VPN combo - flawlessly. 

52 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

You are most welcome. Watched the whole race yesterday on GCN/VPN combo - flawlessly. 

welcome to a flawless year of cycling joy and the frustration of the wife!

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

I have GCN on my phone, tablet, media box, PC etc etc- wherever whenever I can watch cycling. Unlike DSTV that allows streaming to ONE device only (DSTV IS NOT WORTH IT)

So with the GCN subscription you can watch on multiple devices? 

I watched the end of the race yesterday on tiz cycling frustrating to say with all the disconnects... I already have the VPN setup going... I just don't watch enough to justify mind you the monthly fee might work, @babse what you say? 

I have two routers, one cr@pay one from my ISP and then a fully configurable one (Asus) that is spec’d by NordVPN. The Asus has the VPN permanently loaded, so I just need to connect to the WiFi when getting around geo-blocking is required

3 hours ago, Meezo said:

So with the GCN subscription you can watch on multiple devices? 

I watched the end of the race yesterday on tiz cycling frustrating to say with all the disconnects... I already have the VPN setup going... I just don't watch enough to justify mind you the monthly fee might work, @babse what you say? 

Yes - I have watched on multiple devices at the same time - never had an issue. Whether there is a limit I do not know. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I have two routers, one cr@pay one from my ISP and then a fully configurable one (Asus) that is spec’d by NordVPN. The Asus has the VPN permanently loaded, so I just need to connect to the WiFi when getting around geo-blocking is required

Unless the router supports split tunneling, I would not run my VPN on the router and route all traffice via the VPN. It causes some frustrations in terms of websites/results if they all think you are in another country. Also - the reality is that VPN in principle route your whole house via another country and then back to your ISP. So you pay a price on speed - easily up to 40% slower. But if you run a VPN JUST for GCN - all is good as I do not need full speed for GCN. I want the rest of my house to run at "local" speed.

So yes you can also run two routers, one with a different wi-fi  running your VPN. But then again, I run ethernet where I can to get the most of my Internet connection. Wi-fi not always good in all rooms in the house. 

Edited by pedal menace

Just note to those who are thinking about investing in a GCN+ subscription, there is more than just racing. There are a number of good cycling documentaries presented by the regulars on the GCN show. Anything from "Behind the scenes at the Canyon factory" to an in depth look at "The Festina Affair". My favorites have been the bike "Makers" series of shows, documenting the manufacturing process of small scale/boutique bike brands. I signed up just for the races but have really enjoyed the other stuff too. It makes for really good stuff-to-watch-while-on-the-rollers/trainer material

7 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Just note to those who are thinking about investing in a GCN+ subscription, there is more than just racing. There are a number of good cycling documentaries presented by the regulars on the GCN show. Anything from "Behind the scenes at the Canyon factory" to an in depth look at "The Festina Affair". My favorites have been the bike "Makers" series of shows, documenting the manufacturing process of small scale/boutique bike brands. I signed up just for the races but have really enjoyed the other stuff too. It makes for really good stuff-to-watch-while-on-the-rollers/trainer material

How much better is it compared to the free content ?

I've found that since just before they launched GCN+, the free content changed to cater for the beginner cyclist and most of the stuff is now just re-hashed content. It makes me reluctant to put down hard earned money on GCN+

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

How much better is it compared to the free content ?

I've found that since just before they launched GCN+, the free content changed to cater for the beginner cyclist and most of the stuff is now just re-hashed content. It makes me reluctant to put down hard earned money on GCN+

GCN+ has documentaries as opposed to the stuff you see on the YT channel. Looks for the trailers on their YT channel, as it will give an idea of what there is to view.

My advice would be to try it in May. The Giro is not geo-locked, plus you’ll get the chance to see the documentaries.

D5BCFB9E-FE81-41CE-AECE-5E7DA7564FAD.png.0517f25f3a0d335250c39c11e75c08f8.png

78A93233-53F4-449A-A87F-DE82C0DD6855.jpeg

6F4C4C4D-8678-44FA-9339-2BB79D35AD3F.jpeg

7CF215CA-957A-40BD-882D-CCF6EE129CA6.jpeg

4F928DF2-0DB8-4074-86F0-E5019952D439.jpeg

1F0A1600-2D7D-4B65-AEE0-4DD80AA5D9E8.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

GCN+ has documentaries as opposed to the stuff you see on the YT channel. Looks for the trailers on their YT channel, as it will give an idea of what there is to view.

My advice would be to try it in May. The Giro is not geo-locked, plus you’ll get the chance to see the documentaries.

D5BCFB9E-FE81-41CE-AECE-5E7DA7564FAD.png.0517f25f3a0d335250c39c11e75c08f8.png

78A93233-53F4-449A-A87F-DE82C0DD6855.jpeg

6F4C4C4D-8678-44FA-9339-2BB79D35AD3F.jpeg

7CF215CA-957A-40BD-882D-CCF6EE129CA6.jpeg

4F928DF2-0DB8-4074-86F0-E5019952D439.jpeg

1F0A1600-2D7D-4B65-AEE0-4DD80AA5D9E8.jpeg

dont really have the time to watch the racing (unfortunately), but the docu's could be something that I could watch in bits and pieces.