Race to the Sun : Race prep leading up to the 6th of May 2023.

I did the race last year and I really enjoyed it, tbh it was a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Take it easy in the beginning and make sure that you eat enough. No uphills means no downhills, theres hardly any freewheeling you pedal for a 160kms.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question is it better to do the race on a gravel bike or on a mountain bike?

29 minutes ago, raeez said:

Just a question is it better to do the race on a gravel bike or on a mountain bike?

Not sure which is better but I did the very first one on a gravel bike and I enjoyed it, no issues!

When going through water crossings just keep your mouth closed and wipe your bottle before you drink if it isn't s@#$%  its dust on your bottle

8 hours ago, NicoSmit said:

When going through water crossings just keep your mouth closed and wipe your bottle before you drink if it isn't s@#$%  its dust on your bottle

Dust I can live with

Just now, Theunissa said:

Dust I can live with

But then again their is enough of the other stuff in our water in this country that we should be used to it by now

14 hours ago, raeez said:

Rephrase slightly (do not own a gravel bike) - MTB soft tail or hard tail?

Quick question, I'm preparing another race (Nova Eroica), but I think my question is still relevant in this thread : which tube should I take as a spare in case of a puncture for a 700x40mm tyre ? Rather a road 700 or a MTB 29" ? I suppose both are pretty much the same size so they would both work ? The road one being lighter but also maybe less puncture resistant ? I'll also be carrying plugs and self adhesive patches, so carrying a massive MTB tube seems like going a bit overboard..

27 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Quick question, I'm preparing another race (Nova Eroica), but I think my question is still relevant in this thread : which tube should I take as a spare in case of a puncture for a 700x40mm tyre ? Rather a road 700 or a MTB 29" ? I suppose both are pretty much the same size so they would both work ? The road one being lighter but also maybe less puncture resistant ? I'll also be carrying plugs and self adhesive patches, so carrying a massive MTB tube seems like going a bit overboard..

I carry a Specialized spare tube.

Simply because it packs away smaller than any real tube.

It is  MTB tube, but the smallest size 29" tube.

Sure was glad I had it on this day .....

P-4.jpg.a45f926010808938787054d70c88879e.jpg

14 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Hard tail for sure.  

Tx - BUT - I saw an earlier post stating (or seemingly alluding to) a LOT of corrugated dirt roads. If so - would a soft tail then not be a better option. I have done plenty Transbaviaans and many of those roads are badly corrugated and cannot see riding that on a hard tail. OUCH!! 

Train 5 to 6 quality hours in the week .I try and do as many road 100km races as i can before such a long event ,they do wonders for your legs and endurance .Ride over four hours at least once . Pace yourself . Cramps in the last 30 km will be the biggest challenge for most riders .Have a plan for them .Get your core in proper shape .Eat and drink normal food .Energy drinks ,gels help but they do not replace proper hours in the saddle     

• 2 weeks later...

Illness has prevented from training for the 160km but I see there is a 50 miler option which I can manage.

Does anybody know if there is any other shuttle service from Sun City as I was told by the race organisers that they have not arranged anything.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:55 AM, Jbr said:

If you're lucky you will find a 700cx40mm spare tube, but otherwise I tend to use the narrowest 29er tube I can find (1.8" or 1.9" if possible).

I also think it is important to use a slime tube. you've just had a flat on tubeless, chances are your tyre is full of tiny thorns and glass, a slime tube is just so much safer to prevent the second flat.

On 4/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, raeez said:

If you own both for this race I will take a gravel bike. There is one place where I had to walk a couple of meters, but I also had to walk it the year before on my mtb. I think the difference for me was like 30 mins between the 2 types of bikes and what stood out for me on the gravel bike is that I was able to stick to stronger riders that I would not have been able to hold onto with the mtb.

I did see several other gravel riders having a hard time staying on a jeep track at one section. But I think that was because of the speed and skill levels. (Every year it seems more riders are on gravel bikes).