Engineer Needed

PregoRoll

Hey Everyone, 

I need some assistance with getting this hardened steel pin out of this part. 

The black spacer needs to be able to move up and down the threads, it seems I will only win with Spark Erosion as its hardened and unable to be drilled out. 

So far I haven't managed to find someone in Joburg who is willing or able to do it. 

Does anyone know of somebody who could assist? 

Thanks in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 11.03.06.jpeg

i had something similar on the a charge damper which has a no head bolt pushed into it, i had RBC drill it out and push a new pin in for me...

not saying he can help in this case, but might be worth asking

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

i had something similar on the a charge damper which has a no head bolt pushed into it, i had RBC drill it out and push a new pin in for me...

not saying he can help in this case, but might be worth asking

Thanks Meezo, 

Ill reach out and see if they could assist

1 hour ago, PregoRoll said:

Hey Everyone, 

I need some assistance with getting this hardened steel pin out of this part. 

The black spacer needs to be able to move up and down the threads, it seems I will only win with Spark Erosion as its hardened and unable to be drilled out. 

So far I haven't managed to find someone in Joburg who is willing or able to do it. 

Does anyone know of somebody who could assist? 

Thanks in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 11.03.06.jpeg

My advice would be to drill a small hole from the other side and knock it out, but if it was a screw that was cut off, you would need to heat it up, to red hot, drill a hole for an easy out.

3 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

My advice would be to drill a small hole from the other side and knock it out, but if it was a screw that was cut off, you would need to heat it up, to red hot, drill a hole for an easy out.

I wish I could do that

Where the pin is, used to be a grub screw that prevented the black piece from moving on the threads. 

It seems the only way is drilling or sparking it out.

5 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

I wish I could do that

Where the pin is, used to be a grub screw that prevented the black piece from moving on the threads. 

You should be able to drill it out, Grub screws of that size is normally Gr10.9 and can be drilled with some hassle, you can sharpen a Concrete drill-bit to have a proper cutting edge or heat up the grub screw with an Oxy/acetelene-torch

24 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

I wish I could do that

Uhmmmm ....

Any chance the grubscrew was replaced by a bolt, then just cut off and ground down to what you see now ?  In which case it is worth trying to cut a slot with a dremel for a screw driver .....

43 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

T73153-300x300.jpg

Someone will note it - be careful with those buggers as they are hardened steel and quite brittle, snapping without much warning and then you have a real problem. If heat and spook piss doesn't do it - maybe spark erosion?  But, as noted, check for hidden retainer pins or similar.

17 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Someone will note it - be careful with those buggers as they are hardened steel and quite brittle, snapping without much warning and then you have a real problem. If heat and spook piss doesn't do it - maybe spark erosion?  But, as noted, check for hidden retainer pins or similar.

Yeah, I've tried those before and they just broke. It seems spark erosion is the only way, but struggling to find someone who can do it 

Make a new one........

I had access to a spark eroder 5 yrs back but alas no more. Might be easier to machine a new assembly

11 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Will DM you a number of a guy with a spark eroder, just be warned, it wont be cheap

Legend

Yeah, its either spend this money or sit with an even more expensive paper weight

If a lvl rub screw was in there originally then I would bet ChrisF is on starboard tack. 
I doubt a pin would have been pressed into a thread. If it was forget about getting it out without spark erosion and a bigger hole at the end. Then you have real problems.

what am I missing here, why cant this be drilled out ?

Edit:

Never mind, I re-read the first post.

Edited by The Ouzo

Looking at the assembly, it does not look very complex, maybe having a complete new one made will be easier and cheaper, I have a few engineering companies on my company vendor list, send me a DM, I will send you a few numbers, depending on where you are.