Stanchion wear

Rambo_Ren_77

19 hours ago, Rambo_Ren_77 said:

I've seen them when I went to the site after someone mentioned ND tuned on here, I think I'm definitely going to send it to them to replace the bushings and do a good service for now. Very tempted to do the stanchion replacement but maybe a bit later down the line. 

Thanks for the sound advice, I've found it very helpful!

Replace bushings and stanchions at the same time or you're wasting your time. Damaged bushings will destroy stanchions, worn stanchions will destroy new bushings.

And keep up with your service intervals when you've sorted it out, 

As to your original post - a fork with a touch of stanchion wear can't be called "in good condition". RS forks are tough, by the time the anodising has worn off it's been properly pulled though its poephol.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just learned some new info on this forum. I was unaware that stanchions and bushings can be replaced. I have some scratches on my stanchions from dropping the bike on rocks, and I'm pretty sure that the bushings need desperate replacement. I have been window-shopping new suspension for a while now, but it seems I may just get away with a cheaper rebuild. I am happy with my fork, but I'd love them to feel all nice and buttery again for a change.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I just learned some new info on this forum. I was unaware that stanchions and bushings can be replaced. I have some scratches on my stanchions from dropping the bike on rocks, and I'm pretty sure that the bushings need desperate replacement. I have been window-shopping new suspension for a while now, but it seems I may just get away with a cheaper rebuild. I am happy with my fork, but I'd love them to feel all nice and buttery again for a change.

we used to destroy our enduro motorbike stanchions on rocks. Most of the time you could just lightly sand/polish the nicks in the chrome smooth and then do new bushes and seals and squeeze more life out of them before replacing. Just enough to stop the scratch/gouge eating the seal and bush. 1200grit water paper. I do the same thing on our vacuum pump to stop the casing eating the veins when the pump has seized or whatever.

Can They Replace Slider Bushing on all Rockshox Forks ?

Is there a List of Which Models can be Done ?

Why I ask is that the Sektor has a Bulge where the bottom Bushing Sits.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was in the same boat - RBC charged me 6 274.10 ronds - replaced stanchions, bushings & seal kit service kit for FOX float 29 - 32mm fork. I'm in JHB, their system of loading the job card online and courier JHB -> PE -> JHB is properly dialed - I would highly recommend them.

A mate stripped his fork to repaint the lowers and then sent the stripped fork for same treatment - also very happy with the result

• 1 month later...

Update on my stanchion replacement last September. Fork was leaking oil, took it in and stanchion is wrecked again. Not sure if I did something wrong. Regretting paying for stanchion replacement. Will probably look for second hand fork on bikehub. It's a Rockshox Reba RL. Will take it to shop, see what they say. I doubt if there is any recourse.

49 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

Update on my stanchion replacement last September. Fork was leaking oil, took it in and stanchion is wrecked again. Not sure if I did something wrong. Regretting paying for stanchion replacement. Will probably look for second hand fork on bikehub. It's a Rockshox Reba RL. Will take it to shop, see what they say. I doubt if there is any recourse.

I have one or two if you want to burn some cash

18 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I have one or two if you want to burn some cash

Sounds like a plan. Will let you know.

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

If the Bushing in the Lowers are Worn it can damage the Stanchion.

Or the Lowers has a Slight Bend / Twist due to OTB Crash.

Riding a Lot on the Road can cause Oil Starvation in the Bushing / Stanchion.

(Solution is to turn bike upside down for a few minutes before riding.)

A Brand New Fork is probably the best Solution.

On 6/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, Martin PJ said:

Did you replace bushings at the same time? If not, see my previous post.

31 minutes ago, droo said:

Did you replace bushings at the same time? If not, see my previous post.

To be honest, I don't know. Shop did everything, I had taken it in because stanchions were worn, so I am presuming this was done. I will find out.

3 minutes ago, Marcv said:

Is the dust wiper tight on the stanchion? looks like there's a gap.

It does look like a gap. I took it back to another mechanic today, he said he would strip fork and take photos of everything. There is something wrong with the fork in this pic. After getting a service last week the fork went to 140 mm. It is 120 mm fork, so therefore took it back today. Ironically, if it wasn't for the 140 mm fork issue, I wouldn't have seen most of the damage. This part is normally inside the lower part.

Cheapest option with this fork: send it to a proper shock guy and do

1) a full service 

2) drop it back down to a 120mm to push the wear below the dust seals and ride it as is. 

It will most likely not get any worse. But it is very important to take it to someone who actually knows what's going on 😁. @Jakes 001can001 can you please help?