Stanchion wear

Rambo_Ren_77

Seeing this topic has a lot of knowledgeable people on it, can you bend the damper shaft if locked out and you take a big hit?

And if it is locked out alot would the air side still compress a bit but cause the lower to twist at an angle into the bushing? 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Marcv most suspension will have a blow off valve when taking a big hit on lockout should allow the oil to go past the valving in order not to damage your suspension.Thats the main reason they don't really call it lockout anymore and it's called a compression setting.All suspension don't fully lockout and allow a small amount of movement when on full lock.Riding on that setting for prolonged periods could prematurely wear out the suspension as there is still movement but very limited.Its best for your suspension to be set up correctly and gets movement through its travel

19 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

This is about 6 grand a year in fork servicing (3 major services and 3 lowers service a year - wife rides more than me). Maybe better to skip services, buy a new one when required. Which is pretty much what I have been doing, up to now. It was taking 4 to 5 years to trash the fork when I only serviced the fork when it gave an issue.

If it's being properly serviced this shouldn't be happening. Rebas last forever if you look after them.

18 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I have 11000km on my Rockshock Revelation and apart from some crash-inflicted scratches on the stanchions they are holding up very well. I don't service them nearly as often as I should and I don't have any issues. I also don't ride them locked out all the time. I will lock them out if I remember to do so, but generally, I just leave them unlocked. 

when do people ride on locked out so much?

Tar sections only

or

uphill and then forget to lock out once going bumpy downhill?

if it's the second then you're not really using the bike properly and surely open it when you have a gap

13 hours ago, Marcv said:

Seeing this topic has a lot of knowledgeable people on it, can you bend the damper shaft if locked out and you take a big hit?

And if it is locked out alot would the air side still compress a bit but cause the lower to twist at an angle into the bushing? 

Bad Bad Accident CAN damage the Fork. Both Stanchions and Lowers Such as Riding Into a Wall or Falling into a Hole (OTB). Usually the Front Wheel will be Damaged Also.

Got some feedback from mechanic. He has picked up the teflon sleeve on the bushings on left side of fork was torn off. So this is why the stanchion was damaged so quickly. In the one pic attached, the teflon sleeve is hanging down, in the second pic the piece of teflon is removed.

IMG-20230620-WA0004.jpg.3d77c741044493c6349d6f817d602cef.jpg

IMG-20230620-WA0003.jpg

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

Got some feedback from mechanic. He has picked up the teflon sleeve on the bushings on left side of fork was torn off. So this is why the stanchion was damaged so quickly. In the one pic attached, the teflon sleeve is hanging down, in the second pic the piece of teflon is removed.

IMG-20230620-WA0004.jpg.3d77c741044493c6349d6f817d602cef.jpg

IMG-20230620-WA0003.jpg

That Explains the Oil Leak as Well

1 hour ago, Martin PJ said:

Nope.

There you go.

The lining of the bushing is coming off because the bushing was toast when the new CSU was installed and should have been replaced. 

I'd have a word with that mechanic if I were you.

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

uphill and then forget to lock out once going bumpy downhill?

This is my reality. but then, also only when I am actually caring about the uphill portion of the ride. For the most part, going uphill is an unavoidable evil before the intended going downhill bit can begin. Lately, the uphill bits have involved more instances where the bike is being pushed uphill with me beside it, so locking out the fork wouldn't matter much anyway . . .  

10 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This is my reality. but then, also only when I am actually caring about the uphill portion of the ride. For the most part, going uphill is an unavoidable evil before the intended going downhill bit can begin. Lately, the uphill bits have involved more instances where the bike is being pushed uphill with me beside it, so locking out the fork wouldn't matter much anyway . . .  

Downhill Riders are "Pilots"  Not "Cyclists".